Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NoWits

What the hell are those new zombie pain sounds?!

OK, so I downloaded the nightly build of Freedoom the other night and after killing the first zombie, what met my ears can only be described as the most unfitting sound in the universe. I mean seriously?! Zombies aren't meant to sound like heros, and the high-pitched overfaked staccato constipated sound that came from his mouth made the whole thing sound like a Clearasil advert. To make matters worse, the Imp pain sound is the same, causing the imp to sound like a patchwork hero/man/poof/zombie too. Whoever contributed those sounds really needs to think about what he's doing. And the DSPLPAIN sounded shorter than the DSOOF sound. It was hilarious entering the nukage with that sound. It sounded like he repeatedly had arrows shot into his arse.

Also, why are some sounds copied over, like the Demon sight sound being just a copy of the zombie "ACT" sound? And the demon death sound being a copy of the DSSLOP sound? Were so many sounds dodgy that you had to delete them all? I know about the pain sounds nicked from Blood, but are all those other sounds really nicked from other places or something?

If they are, then I'm sure that people can do better than to duplicate sounds. It makes the whole thing seem a bit cheap, like GBA doom where they used the imp death sound for demons, or they use the pain sound for falling from a high place, or the rocket explode sound for the BFG. It just makes the whole thing seem a bit... wrong.

Errr, now I'm all out of things to rant about. Here's your sosp box back!

Its hard to make generic sounds that sound good over various monsters. Its hard coded. Cyberdemon pain sounds are the same as cacodemons and hellknights. Revenants have same pain sounds as zombies and imps. This is standard Doom2 sound behavior, we only try to be compatible.

What sounds are from Blood? Are you sure?

Remember if you submit better sounds they will probably make it in. Also this is a daily build, not a release. There is bound to be some oddness. Currently in dailys if you wake up a cyberdemon in doom.wad it will crash.

Catoptromancy said:

Its hard to make generic sounds that sound good over various monsters. Its hard coded. Cyberdemon pain sounds are the same as cacodemons and hellknights. Revenants have same pain sounds as zombies and imps. This is standard Doom2 sound behavior, we only try to be compatible.

What sounds are from Blood? Are you sure?

Remember if you submit better sounds they will probably make it in. Also this is a daily build, not a release. There is bound to be some oddness. Currently in dailys if you wake up a cyberdemon in doom.wad it will crash.

The sounds from Blood were deleted in version 0.6 so they're long gone now. But the sounds originally used for them worked fine. I'm going to try and edit the current sounds to make them better.

Great! I thought you meant Blood sounds were currently in wad.

I used this map for testing sounds. It has all the monsters, so you can quickly visit each monster and see exactly what sounds it makes.
Hop in the teleport for sound testing area. The invisible wall area is mostly for sprite viewing.

Drove me crazy I thought the monsters had more variety in sounds. Figured out that same sounds were used for a large amount of monsters.
http://users.coffeenet.org/cato/freedoom/maps/freetest-06.wad