Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
sleepy_boy

Items

this may have been asked. If it has, tell me.

Should Doom3 have items? (ie hexen/heretic)

stuff like Light-amp goggles and rad suits?

You mean an item inventory? (I don't remember Hexen having Lite-Amp Goggles or Radiation Suits :))

I'm certain it will have some kind of usable inventory, although I doubt there's going to be a barrage of items to fill it up with.

An inventory it's imperative. It's just stupid to not have one. OH LOOK A PENCIL I'LL DRAW TILL IT'S GONE OH LOOK A BOOK I HAVE TO READ IT NOW OH LOOK A BRA I HAVE TO WEAR IT NO MATTER WHAT.

It could use the scheme of System Shock, but you should be able to find inventory expansions or something like that for more room.

The inventory should be pretty big from the beginning, I don't think it's necessary to have strenght augmentations.

Yeah teh amount of ammo you can carry is absurd in doom, they should fix that

Best thing of using common sense ammo limits is that you'll run out of ammo all the time. That makes the killing more enjoyable (at least for me).

This is an ammo-inventroy scheme I was kicking around on paper a while back. I was using classic Doom weapons and ammo as a base; I may or may not implement this in a game design come later.

At any given time, a player could carry two "primary" weapons (ie anything other than the pistol or fist). The player has a finite ammo "belt" that starts with 300 units of space; each round takes up space, and different ammo types take up different amounts of space.
Rifle round: 2 units
Shotgun shell: 3 units
Chaingun ammo: 1 unit
Rocket: 10 units
Cell: 1 cell would take thirty units, but each cell would hold a lotta juice.
On top of this, the player would have their pistol and dedicated space for spare pistol ammo. They would also have a couple (let's say ten) spaces for grenades 'n inventory items 'n shit.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

How you explain this polymorphic cases in the belt that allow you to fill it up with lots of different ammo?

Other than that, I'll say it's fine. I guess it's about how you hold it. A chaingun would use the bandolier, while clip-based weapons use ammo boxes kept in your backpack, just like todays soldiers.

It isn't a literal belt, per se. I was just using "belt" as a euphemism for all the space available on a bandolier for ammunition. That, and I want to be able to display the inventory as a sort of colored bar chart placed along the edge of the screen.

It isn't a literal belt, per se. I was just using "belt" as a euphemism for all the space available on a bandolier for ammunition. That, and I want to be able to display the inventory as a sort of colored bar chart placed along the edge of the screen.

Heh, sounds like DooM Millennium ^_^

I think ROTT handled gun carrying the best...2 pistols, 1 machine gun, 1 large weapon. A person could actually carry all of that. But then they threw this good idea out the window by giving the player unlimited bullets. Oh well.

But then they threw this good idea out the window by giving the player unlimited bullets. Oh well.

They have to work the fun factor in somehow.

Probably, you won't be carrying 100 rockets in a backpack either... :P

If the made the rockets the size of calibre 12.7 ammunition (approx. 12 centimeter long, used in 0.5 Browning heavy machineguns) then I wouldn't mind having the ability to carry 100 rockets, as 100 rockets would equal one ammo belt.

It would also be cool to have smal, compact weapons instead of huge motorcycle-sized weopons for a change, but that's a different matter.

No, small weapons feel to...well, small and weak! I prefer motorcycle-sized weapons :) And for all realism freaks: they are made of super light-weight high tech materials, so you can carry them with that size :p

No, small weapons feel to...well, small and weak! I prefer motorcycle-sized weapons :) And for all realism freaks: they are made of super light-weight high tech materials, so you can carry them with that size :p

And were did you find all that empty space to put your weapon? Besides, there is *one* huge gun: The BFG.

One enormous gun is enough imo.

And also, I find that that huge rocket launcher in Q3A feels remarkably weak for such a big gun. Seeing such a big gun cause such a tiny explosion seems completely wrong imho.

For balance purposes. Otherwise you couldn't rocket jump.

No, obviously DOOM's gonna sport a rocket launcher that deals some massive damage, but it's fairly limited in quantity in the SP.

For balance purposes. Otherwise you couldn't rocket jump.

I know it's for balance reasons. I was merely pointing out that if I saw something similar in the new Doom, I'll be supremely dissapointed. And btw, nowadays we have very small "one-time" rocket launchers so I can't see why we wouldn't have small rocket launchers in the future.

Where did you find that about Doom 3's rocket launcher?I remember that Id has announced that the game is to have a rocket launcher, but they've said nothing specific about it as far as I know.

Nowhere, at least not directly. Check GameSpot's video interviews with Carmack. They're going for photorealistic enviroments, demanding a fitting gameplay backbone.

Nowhere, at least not directly. Check GameSpot's video interviews with Carmack. They're going for photorealistic enviroments, demanding a fitting gameplay backbone.

I know, and?
Just because they're making the environment realistic doesn't necessarily mean that the rocket launcher won't have smaller explosions - if it's a light rocket launcher instead of a heavy rocket launcher, it could mean that it creates small explosions - but is still useful against armoured units.
Modern rocket launchers often don't cause big explosions - they merely penetrate armour and turn the interior of the attacked vehicle extremely hot, resulting in turning anything inside into hot slag. But they do cause something that looks like a wee explosion nevertheless.

Just some thoughts.

I'm talking about the impression of Quake/DooM sized rocket launchers and missiles. IF they go for something smaller, yes, the damage will be smaller. Big deal. The concept still applies : believable, if not realistic.

No, obviously DOOM's gonna sport a rocket launcher that deals some massive damage, but it's fairly limited in quantity in the SP.

I coulda sworn I heard Carmack say, at one point, there wasn't gonna be a rocket launcher in Doom3. They wanted to kinda break out of that tradition and explore some new ones.

Small, bouncy rockets is really more of a Quake tradition. Doom needs something with real power, and less agile than the Quake launchers. I had been thinking about grenade shells and hand grenades, being a little more "realistic" than an anti-tank weapon being used in an enclosed environment.

Small, bouncy rockets is really more of a Quake tradition. Doom needs something with real power, and less agile than the Quake launchers. I had been thinking about grenade shells and hand grenades, being a little more "realistic" than an anti-tank weapon being used in an enclosed environment.

Well, Quake 1 had fairly powerful rockets (when the player got hit by them at least). But I'd prefer them to give them a similar destructive force to that of the original Doom rockets. I'm not sure if I want it to be "realistically" powerful, because I don't want the rocket launcher to be a too powerful weapon, which could break the weapons balance(RtCW's "panzerfaust" was ok, I think).

Ah well, I trust that Id know what they're doing

speaking about Quest,i think it was a great game idea.it was supposed to be dungeon&dragon style game.too bad it was cancelld for DOOM(well i still love to see new DOOM ,though)i hope that id&nerve 's next unnamed co-op game will be the revive of Quest.