Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Catoptromancy

UVx3

Just a random idea I am not sure I heard of before. Exploit the skill system and make a map have variations of UV.
Things can be fully separated from each other by skill. So make a map with all the monsters and items tagged as only -skill 4. Go through placing another whole maps worth of monsters and items tagged as -skill 3, and again as -skill 2.

Greatly vary gameplay with various monsters, key placements and weapons. Each skill level is as hard as UV, but everything is rearranged.

I really only play maps in UV and then move on to the next map. I see no reason to go back and play on a lower skill. But with this method you could have a whole new different challenge on the same map, put keys in odd or different places so route needs to be new.

Phobia - The Age does this sort of thing. Don't remember exatly what the skills are (sure it's in the text though) but from memory skill 1 had barely a few monsters, 2 was a few monsters with tight ammo ballance and 3 was heavy monster count with plenty of ammo.

Someone mentioned something like this recently, I think, but given how much player skill varies, it'll make it too easy for some, too hard for others.

Granted, many players always play on UV, even when the difficulty exceeds their skill, but that's their fault, not that of a level.

ReX made a map where each difficulty skill gives you a different route. That is interesting because while on one hand it offers different degrees of difficulty, it makes each setting different enough to be worth trying, possibly in order.

I don't think different skill levels are (or, rather, should be considered) redundant to most players, as it's still enjoyable to play easier settings if you have objectives. Demo recording helps here, of course, as it gives you something to improve even on levels or skills where you're unlikely to die. For example, in Quake speed running they play the levels in easy difficulty and in nightmare (which is like DOOM's -fast, with no respawning).

myk said:

ReX made a map where each difficulty skill gives you a different route.

Now that is a cool idea. Got a link?

I liked how TeamTNTs deathmatch wads used the skill levels as deathmatch settings, such as "no bfg", "no bfg, and no plasma" and various other settings that I can't remember off the top of my head.

Scythe map28 ("Run from it") also featured some differences in thing placement (fewer obstacles, so you could take a shorter route) to make it easier to reach the exit in time on lower skills.

I think Symoplan had some significant differences along similar lines, except that there it was more to give the player less freedom to move around during some of the battles on higher skill levels. IIRC

JohnnyRancid said:

I liked how TeamTNTs deathmatch wads used the skill levels as deathmatch settings, such as "no bfg", "no bfg, and no plasma" and various other settings that I can't remember off the top of my head.

Judas23 is perhaps the most famous map which does this
...not that anyone ever plays DM at anything below UV difficulty :/