Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Reaper978

What's something about Doom that you absolutely hate?

I know I posted something like this before with Doom 2 monsters, but bear with me. I found some more.

-Chaingun guys, anywhere, at any time. They aren't fun.
-Being forced to fight high-level demons in narrow spaces where dodging is impossible.
-Narrow spaces.
-Archviles in open spaces. Lame.
-Weird locations that make it really hard to dodge or get behind cover.
-Narrow walkways you can't move well on so you have to sit there and take the fireballs like a bitch.
-"Walkways" that are a few inches wide so it's easy to fall off into the obligatory lava pit below.
-Lava pits you can't get out of. Lame.
-Lava pits that do 20 damage each check. Lame.
-Trying to fire a rocket through a doorway right when the door closes and pwning yourself.
-Trying to fire a rocket through a doorway and hitting the edge and pwning yourself.
-Trying to fire a rocket through a window and pwning yourself.
-Trying to fire a rocket over a ledge or through a passage and pwning yourself.
-Trying to fire a rocket from the top of a high ledge, but the autoaim fires the rocket at demons at the bottom of the ledge and the rocket hits the ground and you pwn yourself.
-Accidentally backing off a ledge right when you fire a rocket and pwning yourself.
-Expecting the autoaim to fire a rocket somewhere else but it hits a wall and you pwn yourself.
-Arachnotrons do too much &$*%ing damage.
-Hellknights, because there are always a lot of them and they do the same amount of damage as a Baron. There are always a lot of them.
-Pain elementals, you already know why.
-Lost souls, see previous point.
-A lost soul you didn't know was there hits you in the back.
-Being telefragged by a monster of any kind. That's enough to ruin my day.
-A revenant fireball follows you all the way around various walls and pillars and hits you for massive damage.
-Being cornered by a mob of demons and taking it like a bitch.
-Chaingun guys, because he deserves two points on this list for being such a colossal douchebag.

Thanks for reading.

flubbernugget said:

If you don't like DooM, don't play it. Don't complain to us.

I have a love-hate relationship with Doom. I like the game, but I run into problems that make it less enjoyable. I think I'm annoyed by the design of various maps I've played rather than the core gameplay itself.

Reaper978 said:

I know I posted something like this before with Doom 2 monsters, but bear with me. I found some more.

-Being forced to fight high-level demons in narrow spaces where dodging is impossible.
-Narrow spaces.
-Narrow walkways you can't move well on so you have to sit there and take the fireballs like a bitch.
-"Walkways" that are a few inches wide so it's easy to fall off into the obligatory lava pit below.
-Trying to fire a rocket through a doorway right when the door closes and pwning yourself.
-Trying to fire a rocket through a doorway and hitting the edge and pwning yourself.
-Trying to fire a rocket from the top of a high ledge, but the autoaim fires the rocket at demons at the bottom of the ledge and the rocket hits the ground and you pwn yourself.
-Accidentally backing off a ledge right when you fire a rocket and pwning yourself.
-Expecting the autoaim to fire a rocket somewhere else but it hits a wall and you pwn yourself.
-Hellknights, because there are always a lot of them and they do the same amount of damage as a Baron. There are always a lot of them.
-A revenant fireball follows you all the way around various walls and pillars and hits you for massive damage.
-Chaingun guys, because he deserves two points on this list for being such a colossal douchebag.

Thanks for reading.

What do you like then? If you'd like I'll make a wide open map with a former human or two for you. Sounds like that's what would suit you.

I'd agree about the Chaingunners, but only after I've been playing Plutonia2... those are everywhere, everytime in this wad!

As for pwning yourself with your rocketlauncher;
you just need more practice :P

I used to blow up myself as well a lot of times, but a bit of training will solve this problem!

What do you like then?

Nothing.

Seriously, I think this is all because I played through the PSX TC on ultra-violence and I was getting fed up with the chaingunners and lost souls near the end. The game felt like it nearly doubled in difficulty/aggravation for the last few levels.

Do you like Gears of War?

What prompted this question? I played it a bit and thought it was alright, I didn't play enough of it to really have an opinion about it though.

As for pwning yourself with your rocketlauncher;
you just need more practice :P

Well I have gotten better with it so these things don't happen as often.

you suck at this game

Only at places that are a complete pain in the ass to finish.

Reaper978 said:What prompted this question? I played it a bit and thought it was alright, I didn't play enough of it to really have an opinion about it though.[/B]

It was prompted by you posting a huge whine list about Doom that made you sound like you don't even like the game to begin with.

I don't really know how I feel about things. Best not to take what I say too seriously. Sorry if I pissed anyone off.

Reaper978 said:

Being telefragged by a monster of any kind.

Unless you're talking about monster spawners, what engine are you using?

So I was watching impse and pwning myself and my mom walked in on me pwning myself and she just stood there and watched as I scrambled to clean up the pwn off the floor.

Reaper978 said:

I think that happened on GZDoom SVN build R353

Was it on a map30? map30 disables telefrag protection, making you fair game.

The game is all about you getting used to hitting the right keys at the right moment, and having a good grasp of opponents and level surrounding possibilities. If you want to improve without frustrating yourself, lower the difficulty settings, or try somewhat more mild WADs until you feel you're kicking butt. You can also watch other people playing in demos, or spend a bit of time on multiplayer servers, where you can learn from others. Then you can start trying what was pounding your ass again.

It's like physical exercise. If you overdo it you hurt yourself (too much) and then want to stop. This is a game, to be played for fun. There's no reason for you to torture yourself with it.

Shadow Dweller said:
Forgetting to save before any of the above happens.

That medicine doesn't cure the malady and has its own bad side effects. A better solution is to practice strategies and movement so those situations become less problematic. Saving each time something bad is passed just makes us pass many of those scenarios by luck or with barely enough skill to make it, instead of really mastering them.

Reaper978 said:

-Narrow spaces.

Thanks for reading.

I find your lack of Rocket Launcher faith Disturbing.

Jk.. I agree with you on alot of this stuff...

I never liked the RL auto-aim. Read: I always blew myself up with the rocket launcher, but still, horizontal adjusting was a terrible idea.

Arachnotrons, though? Really? You could practically take one on with the pistol their pain chance is so high.

Was it on a map30? map30 disables telefrag protection, making you fair game.

I wasn't aware there was telefrag protection in singleplayer. It wasn't on map 30, but I'm pretty sure a lost soul telefragged me through a standard portal. I think it was on Barrels o' Fun. Something telefragged me, and it was during singleplayer. Maybe I was using a wad that turned off telefrag protection or something.

Myk: I appreciate your thoughtful input a lot. As you say, saves become something of a crutch if you use them constantly, but not saving at all throughout a big map can lead to frustration if you end up getting killed by something completely unexpected. I almost feel like there should be checkpoints for those who don't want to save (and thus slip into using saves as a way to get through the level).

Jk.. I agree with you on alot of this stuff...

:)

Arachnotrons, though? Really? You could practically take one on with the pistol their pain chance is so high.

Their projectiles are punishing. And you can't change strafe direction while they're firing or you will get hit. Usually I can handle them, but sometimes... meh.

myk said:

The game is all about you getting used to hitting the right keys at the right moment, and having a good grasp of opponents and level surrounding possibilities. If you want to improve without frustrating yourself, lower the difficulty settings, or try somewhat more mild WADs until you feel you're kicking butt. You can also watch other people playing in demos, or spend a bit of time on multiplayer servers, where you can learn from others. Then you can start trying what was pounding your ass again.

Watching a lot of Xit Vono runs (Especially Tyson runs) turned me into quite a good player methinks. I actually didn't play doom for around 4 years but only watched speed runs and the like during this downtime, and when I came back I was able to do much harder things than when I had previously stopped playing (IE: E1M8 tyson run, Nightmare episode runs of Doom 2, etc).

Reaper978 said:

-Any form of challenge

Thanks for reading.

Good to know.

Reaper978 said:

Their projectiles are punishing. And you can't change strafe direction while they're firing or you will get hit. Usually I can handle them, but sometimes... meh.

Nonsense. There's plenty of room between the shots to sneak through if you're quick.

Reaper978 said:

- rocket ... pwning yourself.
- rocket ... pwn yourself.
- rocket ... pwn yourself.

Try playing without the rocket launcher - that'll make the game 28% less aggravating. ;-)

Ranting on about stuff on a soap box, then realising the soap box is actually a rocket box ... and pwning yourself.

Krispavera said:

I love arachnotrons, they're so bad.

I'd agree with that. A higher tier monster with that pain chance better have high damage to prove any sort of challenge. They make an awesome sound when they die though.