Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mkfanatic

help setting up gamepad with Final Doom

I just bought a new gamepad that resembles a PS3 controller and I'm trying to set it up to where I can play Final Doom with this controller. If I use Chocolate Doom, I can set up most of the controls but I want to be able to set up my gamepad to control everything. Run, Fire, Open, Strafe Left, Strafe Right, Previous Weapon, Next Weapon, and the possibility of using the D-pad instead of the stick. Chocolate Doom won't allow me to set up "Previous Weapon" and "Next Weapon" to my controller and won't allow me to use the D-pad. What can I do or use to set up my controller fully?

Uh, how did you do it? Just curious, 'tis all. I've been looking for a way to get "Previous Weapon - Next Weapon" working to, although in PrBoom, but so far with no luck. :(

I couldnt get ANY controller working with PrBoom.

Not only that, the controller I want to use the most, my 360 controller, wont work on anything, because Windows stupidly doesnt see the left and right triggers as buttons, it uses them as a Z axis or something.

Ragnor said:

I couldnt get ANY controller working with PrBoom.

Not only that, the controller I want to use the most, my 360 controller, wont work on anything, because Windows stupidly doesnt see the left and right triggers as buttons, it uses them as a Z axis or something.

Use alternate drivers like XBCD. Or use Xpadder.

My controller comes with a program where you can assign keyboard commands to the controller. You have to go in and set it yourself though. It works like Xpadder or JoyToKey. If your controller didn't come with the software, use one of these two. What you do is set up your controller so basically if you push the 1 button, it emulates you pressing Ctrl on the keyboard (which is the Fire button). You can't set it up for Previous Weapon and Next Weapon cuz there isn't even buttons for that on your keyboard so what I did was set up each individual weapon for a button. Since I'm gonna use the joystick for movement, I used the D-pad for weapon select. I set Left as Fist/Chainsaw, Up as Pistol, Right as Shotgun/Super Shotgun, Down as Chaingun, I used the L1 trigger to select the Rocket Launcer, R1 for the Plasma Gun, and I used button 4 for the BFG. Button 1 is Run, Button 2 is Fire, 3 is Open. L2 is strafe left and R2 is strafe right. I even set up the "start" button to act as the Esc button to bring up the menu, the "select" button as Enter, and R3 as Y (for when you want to leave the game, you gotta type "Y" for "yes" to exit the game). You basically run the game through this program so the settings will take affect on your controller.

Edit: You're right Ragnor, it didn't work on PrBoom. I was using it on Doom95 and it worked fine on that though.

Richo Rosai said:

Use alternate drivers like XBCD. Or use Xpadder.

Ive never heard of these. So I can get the controller to work on older things that arent PC ports of 360 games? (What a great spend that was, getting he receiver and finding only Overlord could use the controller properly :rolleyes:)

If so, I'll solve my cord problem and be able to hook my laptop up to my HDTV and play from my bed on a big screen and a powerful stereo, huzzah.

Ragnor said:

Ive never heard of these. So I can get the controller to work on older things that arent PC ports of 360 games? (What a great spend that was, getting he receiver and finding only Overlord could use the controller properly :rolleyes:)

If so, I'll solve my cord problem and be able to hook my laptop up to my HDTV and play from my bed on a big screen and a powerful stereo, huzzah.

The XBCD drivers will treat the triggers as buttons, but the downside is that you'll still have to switch back to the official ones for games that are designed to work with the 360 pad like Bioshock or Crysis.

Xpadder translates the gamepad input into keystrokes or mouse movement, so you can use it with any game. I even use the controller to browse the internet or run mplayerclassic sometimes. Got the Y button as a macro to right click, bring up the image save dialog, and then A is Enter. Good times. But I digress.

The second one sounds amazing, I take it if you have the Chatpad accessory, you'll have a mouse and keyboard in your hands.

I dont really need the official drivers, if I want to play a cross-platform game, I'll play it on my 360. Besides, I cant even use Doom Builder 2's Visual Mode fr long on this laptop without it overheating to shutoff point, so modern gaming is out of the question. I bought that receiver entirely to have a wireless controller, didnt expect it to fail so hard.

EDIT: URAAAAHHH, THIS IS HOW DOOM WAS MEANT TO BE PLAYED ON A CONTROLLER

Triggers = Gunfire, fuck yes

I used a program called "GamePad Companion" to get my PS2 controller working on my Mac. From there, I set it up much like PSX Doom, with the difference being that I use X for jump.

That is, however, my only gripe with PrBoom. If it had a "Previous Weapon/Next Weapon" function, I'd use it a lot more than I do. But as is, I use ZDoom, as it's the only sourceport I know of that I'm capable of running well on Mac OS X that has this function (my laptop isn't powerful enough to run Doomsday, but even then, I'm not a big fan of it anyway).

ZDoom is probably the best choice for good controls, but you'd still have to use either Xpadder or the XBCD drivers to use those triggers on the 360 controller to fire.

I use my 360 or Dual Shock 3 with ZDoom, the analog support is pretty good.

I wish I could bind the buttons to the different weapon slots on the controller, but Xpadder takes care of that.