Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cadgirl

Drawings of Demons and Misc.

Nice pics, the hell knight drawing looks like it was inspired by the hellknight concept done for the Doom movie

The Dragon in the Wilderness reminded me of this one:

Not that it's too similar, except maybe the head, a bit (or the ears). I remembered because as a kid I had a version of The Hobbit with illustrations from the movie.

I drew "The Dragon of the Wilderness" without knowing there was something that looked similer. I just drew it by the fly, like i do with all my drawings. Very interesting. :)

What! Man, I should think of more weird things to do. Sigh, that bites. :(
Oh well, I got another idea of my own. hehe

It's perfectly respectable for someone to visually copy an existing piece of art for drawing practice, and then post their copy online, as long as the original artist is credited for their work. Why exactly are you pretending that you drew the dragon "out of the blue"? What do you expect to gain? Not respect, I hope.

No, I don't want to gain respect by these practice drawings, and I do look online for ideas of what to draw, but to help me improve my techniques. With the "out of the blue", I didn't realize that there was another drawing out there, but the artist who drew it before me deserves the respect. As of now, I am drawing something new, and once I am finished, I will make sure that nothing resembles it. And I will honestly say, my mistake.

But like I said, I only wish to gain techniques. Then, after some time, create something using what I have learned.
Again, I will ask if anyone has some advice to improve these drawings and some tips on drawing other DOOM creatures. Thanks. :)

Yeah, I mentioned that version of Smaug only as a free association because it reminded me of the movie and that book I had. The Hobbit from '77 is pretty nice to watch, and it's got a distinct '70s style all round.

Cadgirl said:
I will make sure that nothing resembles it.

Ha, that's a bit hard. In the end, the imagination is a way to mix things. What makes it original is more about how we make that mix, rather than what we mix or whether nothing is similar. Like, you can take another drawing on purpose, draw from it as inspiration, yet make something with its own character (regardless of whether some may consider it derivative in respect to copyright). And on the other hand, you can try to "draw from the blue" yet, looking back, you'll notice maybe there are similarities with things you've seen in the past, which crept in not-so-consciously.

I know what Myk's getting at. Mark Twain described the author's voice as a house built with the bricks of other authors' houses. It applies to anything creative, whether the creators know they're doing it or not.
The artist shouldn't be ashamed of it or be browbeaten for it, so artist and viewer should relax.

DuckReconMajor said:

"How do I good map?"
"Play more map."
"But then I copy map?"

Thanks for clearing that up.

Not sure what you're sarcastically implying.