Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bashe

Deathmatch chainsaws

Why is it that on tons of DM maps, there's always a chainsaw in front of the exit? Is it some kind of tradition or unwritten rule that one must be placed in the exit?

Chainsaws would be hella fun(ny) in deathmatch if the players didn't move quite so dang fast. :P

Speaking of exit room traditions - I notice how every GothicDM/Gothic2/Crucified Dreams map has an overly elaborate exit. Some of them are actually quite nifty, aside from the ones that require you to navigate down damaging lava corridors in order to even find the exit switch. :/

Abyssalstudios1 said:

I'm not sure. I know that Dwango5 doesn't really have that. Maybe it's just to spin around and take a chunk out of some guy's nose?

Dwango5 was just a compilation and it is so old.

I guess it is just a standard now as it is fun to run around with the chainsaw. Heh, I even made a dm map (not relased through) with just berserk and chainsaws :P

Jimmy91 said:

Chainsaws would be hella fun(ny) in deathmatch if the players didn't move quite so dang fast. :P

Speaking of exit room traditions - I notice how every GothicDM/Gothic2/Crucified Dreams map has an overly elaborate exit. Some of them are actually quite nifty, aside from the ones that require you to navigate down damaging lava corridors in order to even find the exit switch. :/

the chainsaw is halfway usable in dm just because of that speed. to humiliate newbies, or you might kill some good player when he's distracted in ffa.

these exits were made to prevent people from exiting the map too early. perhaps designers thought a player would pick up the saw and make noise so the others can locate him, or he might turn back to saw someone... honestly, i knew such an idiot who thought the point of deathmatching is finding the exit and escaping, as he didn't have a chance anyway.

(speaking of hard to reach exits, i and a friend built a few duke3d maps with fake exits that teleported him into a fish tank with a spectator room when activated, where we could watch the coward croak :p )

I had a hell of an amusing time fighting bots in ZDoom using chainsaws, they would run in figure eights while aiming at you with the chainsaw, it was very funny.

Ive gotten several kills on XBLA Doom's Deathmatch with the chainsaw, mainly against nubs though. I also gibbed a chainsaw user with a berserk fist in the same match, that was awesome.

It must be the type of maps I don't play. I do seem to remember that various Gothic DM series levels had a chainsaw in the exit room. Am I right? Maybe the fad, if any, started there.

The chainsaw is pretty useless in DM, except as a "trap" where you might accidentally step on it and thus switch to it, or just so you can say "let's have a chainsaw match" to a friend and saw at each other for the hell of it. The berserk punch is more fun, though, because if you can sneak one punch in, it can really make a difference and maybe even gib your opponent.

The key to a saw kill is cornering your opponent or getting the drop on them. Sneaking with a saw is actually easier than you'd think, considering you'd be surprised how few people will notice that there's a gasoline-powered gardening tool running behind them.

Chainsaws are a blast in DM's. They might seem useless at first, but on certain maps (Especially with high areas) they can be quite effective, not to mention humiliating.