Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
printz

Has multiplayer Wolf3d been tried?

First results on google about multiplayer wolf3d didn't yield enough, so I say it's safe to ask this here: has anyone in the history of modding thought of implementing multiplayer to Wolfenstein 3d or its immediate, same-theme, derivatives?

Running around at huge speed, hiding in that closet, and using the gatling gun to rip someone unsuspecting, could be worth. Players would gain corresponding points for killing other Blazkowiczes, and also gain from (respawning) treasure, to raise up their lives meter, which when gone down, would take the player out of the game. Kinda like Last Man Standing.

Or a cooperative mode, where besides having the nazis given rotated frames (good luck with bosses), the difficulty would be buffed up, and the gameplay still be of LMS type.

People who have modified Wolf 3D's code don't seem interested in doing more than making a standalone mod or set of levels. I'm not sure how difficult it would be to implement multiplayer.

Carmack suggested it in the readme when he released the code. He also suggested variable-height areas and jetpacks. I don't think any of that ever happened.

As faithful it may try to be, that's still ZDoom. The physics is Doomish.

Does it have Blazkowicz frames?

Aliotroph? said:

Carmack suggested it in the readme when he released the code. He also suggested variable-height areas and jetpacks. I don't think any of that ever happened.

With the low ceilings in the original levels maybe that was a joke.

Isn't Wolf3D mouse-run speed uncapped? That in itself would be worth it.

The thought of four or more people zipping around at lightning speed with chainguns blasting at each other makes me shake a little.

leileilol said:

Corridor 7 had multiplayer and used the Wolf3d engine.

Gawd that game scared the crap out of me, moreso than doom :|

Gokuma said:

With the low ceilings in the original levels maybe that was a joke.

Carmack doesn't make jokes. I seriously have never heard of him ever making a joke.

Source Code Readme
Some project ideas with this code:

Add new monsters or weapons.

Add taller walls and vertical motion. This should only be
done if the texture mapper is rewritten.

Convert to a 32 bit compiler. This would be a fair amount
of work, but I would hate to even mess with crusty old 16
bit code. The code would get a LOT smaller.

Make a multi-player game that runs on DOOM sersetup / ipxsetup drivers.

Have fun...

John Carmack
Technical Director
Id Software

Ok, so it appears I was on crack with the jetpack thing. I have a hunch I'll find that in the DOOM code readme (pre-GPL). Multiplayer did occur to him too, probably more as an interesting programming project than a good game idea, though.

On a side note, the "educational use only" license that code shipped under really, really, really sucks. I'm glad he switched to the GPL for later releases.

Hmm, nope. Checked the DOOM one. He suggested flying, but no jetpacks. I must have been on something the day I first read that. ;)

Aliotroph? said:

jetpacks

ROTT used a heavily modified Wolf3D engine, which allowed for different floor/ceiling heights (although fixed on a per-level basis) and a lot of jumping. Didn't really bother with the game much, not even in the day, but it would make sense for that's game's setting and the "new" engine's capabilities.

Also, coop mode would be a race for points. I prefer if the cooperative mode of a game contained a competition. The player with the most points collected at the end of the episode (or when losing all lives) would be the winner. PKilling would have to be discouraged, most probably by making the nazis too tough for only one hero to contain.

Maes said:

ROTT used a heavily modified Wolf3D engine, which allowed for different floor/ceiling heights (although fixed on a per-level basis) and a lot of jumping. Didn't really bother with the game much, not even in the day, but it would make sense for that's game's setting and the "new" engine's capabilities.

ROTT even started out as a Wolf3D sequel (hence the MP40 and Naziesque enemies). It sure does sound like Carmack was expecting people recreate the ROTT engine - it does all of those things.