Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
arrrgh

Dehacked Ideas

I've recently downloaded Whacked and have been playing around with BEX patches, and I was wondering what other tricks have been done with Dehacked. So far, the only really useful thing I've done is make a "torch" that replaces the chainsaw using the Light2 codepointer. The rest has been dumb stuff like making super-fast weapons and making the Spiderdemon fire lost souls. What other clever/cool/funny stuff have you made with dehacked patches?

Also, one of the best effects I've seen done with DEH was a arachnotron with a chaingunner riding it, and when the archnotron died the chaingunner would hop off and act normally. How was this done? (Can't remember what WAD this was in, sorry)

arrrgh said:

Also, one of the best effects I've seen done with DEH was a arachnotron with a chaingunner riding it, and when the archnotron died the chaingunner would hop off and act normally. How was this done? (Can't remember what WAD this was in, sorry)

All Hell is Breaking Loose.

Coolest mine design EVAR

Have a flashlight in Vanilla Doom? Too bad it can light pitch blackness diddley squat.

printz said:

Coolest mine design EVAR

Have a flashlight in Vanilla Doom? Too bad it can light pitch blackness diddley squat.

Awww, just tried it with a quick map with 0 light and it did hardly anything :( If you use it in dim but not pitch black areas(MAP05 and MAP25 for example) it works pretty well though.

printz said:

Coolest mine design EVAR

Haha?! I just edited the candle sprite a bit!

I was inspired by those translocator lumpy things from UT2003.

WHY DID YOU DELETE THE PIC?

Honestly, the mines looked good. They looked like raised middle fingers. What better way to greet the to-be-dead monsters, than with that?

I made quite a lot of adjustments in Scimitar, some of which are:

Added new SSG-Seargent that drops an SSG (The normal zombie no longer drops a clip, however!)

Swapped out the Cyberdemon and Spiderdemon for Rocket firing and Chaingun wielding Arachnotron flavours

Swapped the key cards for orbs

Swapped the Fists for a Knife

Swapped the Chainsaw for a Scimitar

Created a 100% health pack (but if you pick this up your health will switch to 100% even if you have more, i got around this by not allowing health or armour to go above 100%)

and probably some other stuff too

cycloid said:

Added new SSG-Seargent that drops an SSG (The normal zombie no longer drops a clip, however!)

A couple of questions: How did you get a monster to fire a SSG? When I tried this, PrBoom+ just crashes with "I_SignalHandler: Exiting on signal: signal 11" Also, how'd you change what weapon the zombie dropped?

arrrgh said:

A couple of questions: How did you get a monster to fire a SSG? When I tried this, PrBoom+ just crashes with "I_SignalHandler: Exiting on signal: signal 11" Also, how'd you change what weapon the zombie dropped?

Put many frames in succesion. All of them should have the SposAttack CODEPTR and should be of 0 duration. Each of those frames will throw 3 bullets. The player SSG fires 20, but you may want less to come from the monsters.

The frames should lead into another one, of appropriate duration, whose CODEPTR is PlaySound and its Unknown 1 is 4. Then it's followed by other three frames, also with Playsound, and Unknown 1s corresponding to 4, 5 and 6 (in the correct order). Then follow them with the walking frame.

Keep in mind I was talking about monster's firing frames here. Refer to BOOMDEH.TXT bundled with vanilla Boom, to see how CODEPTRS are done. PlaySound is NOT in BOOMDEH, but it's supported by PrBoom, and hopefully by ZDoom. You use the "Unknown 1" entry to set the sound number to be played. You write it in the frame field the same way you do with "Next frame", "Duration" etc.

Changing the weapon is done by doing some Dehacked engineering. Refer to the DHEFUN12.TXT bundled with Dehacked.

I had a massive dehacked patch back in the day with accompaning graphics (all ripped, of course).

Somewhat neat stuff:

- Nuclear rocket launcher - give the explosion a combination of the BFG blast and the Archvile jump code pointer. Better take cover when you fire that!

- "Bouncing" BFG blasts - I made the BFG rapid fire (without the normal BFG blast effect) using the green Arachnotron projectiles. When the projectile died, it would fire another projectile at the player. The result was that the projectiles kind of "bounced."

- A flamethrower. I think it's legally required that everyone who messes with dehacked make one of these :)

printz said:

Put many frames in succesion. All of them should have the SposAttack CODEPTR and should be of 0 duration. Each of those frames will throw 3 bullets. The player SSG fires 20, but you may want less to come from the monsters.

Oh I see, you can't use codepointers normally used for the player on monsters, you just have to sorta munge it with monster codepointers instead. Also, where do you get the extra frames for this? AFAIK the only place to get extra frames is the PE resurection sequence, or is there a way to get more spare frames?

In my modification, I don't have a BFG in it, which allows lots of frames to be used - BFG gun, BFG ball, BFG hit, BFG flashy thing, etc... I also have some weapons with less frames in them, to allow for smoother animation of the other guns. I also had to put some frames in crazy places to let them use actions.

david_a said:

- "Bouncing" BFG blasts - I made the BFG rapid fire (without the normal BFG blast effect) using the green Arachnotron projectiles. When the projectile died, it would fire another projectile at the player. The result was that the projectiles kind of "bounced."

until it crashed.

The bouncing wasn't recursive. I think I made it fire a different projectile or something.

One way to get extra frames is to shorten/eliminate all the animation in the pickup items. Another idea is to make it for Doom, in which case you have all the extra Doom 2 frames to work with.

There are some neat things done by a dehacked patch in Hacx, many destructible things like glas in windows.

re: SSG Seargent

IIRC what i did was stacked a bunch of normal SG frames with duration zero as suggested above (i think it was 3 in a row) and then added a new sound that was a re recording of the SSG sound the player makes (something twisted and convoluted like that was needed because each of the stacked firing frames would produce the same sound, making a very lound distorted SSG sound, so i think had to redo it at a lower volume to account for the wave addition!) then synced the timing of the frames, firing rate and animation of the monster with the length of the sound effect. Was very pleased when i got it all to sync just right and the ~2 second reloading delay of the monster helps balance out the strength of the blast.

My GFX skills on the other hand suck, so the SSG guy looks like your basic zombie man but with a brigt green jacket on, sure someone else could do it better.

I stole my extra frames for this from the PE (although the PE was itself also rebuilt as the replacement no clip dropping zombieman btw) and some other places. I didnt use the Lost soul either so those frames were up for grabs too.

I think i also squeezed in a Mancubus variation with different colored eyes who's three firing frames were all straight (instead of one straight and two slightly off).

Use the sergeant extreme death frames for replacement, because most of them look exactly like the zombieman's. Don't use the elemental resurrection sequence, because it's actually in use. The pain elemental is to be resurrected when left as a visible corpse. He leaves a corpse when crushed by a sector, before having a chance to disappear.

Secondary monster standing frames are also viable alternatives. I think that stopping their breathing motion during standby makes them better. Also consider the player extreme death, by subsequently giving the player the zombieman sequence (if you don't mind having a disappearing helmet).

You can also think of replacing the SS nazi, the Keen, the "demon spawning..." frames if you don't intend to use those actors.

printz said:

Use the sergeant extreme death frames for replacement, because most of them look exactly like the zombieman's. Don't use the elemental resurrection sequence, because it's actually in use. The pain elemental is to be resurrected when left as a visible corpse. He leaves a corpse when crushed by a sector, before having a chance to disappear.

And the result is a glitchy ghost monster, a phenomenon which most ports correct by not letting it happen?

printz said:

The pain elemental is to be resurrected when left as a visible corpse. He leaves a corpse when crushed by a sector, before having a chance to disappear.

Which is easily disabled by setting its raise state to 0. Sometimes it's more important to get the added frames than to have 100% 'proper' behavior.

Yeah, the only case where using those frames for something else would be a problem is in some vanilla hack that's optional, changing aesthetics only or something, which doesn't seem what's being discussed. In any other hack which changes game behavior and would be required for a demo of the like, the lack of pain elemental ghosts (which are very unlikely to occur) wouldn't cause any issues.