Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shadow Hog

Sonic Robo Blast 2 Version 2.0 Released

Doom Legacy-based Sonic Robo Blast 2 has just been updated to version 2.0. A total conversion that has been worked on since 1998, Sonic Robo Blast 2 takes the Doom engine and turns it from a dark, gritty FPS into a colorful 3D platformer based on Sega's hit Sonic the Hedgehog series. It includes a lengthy single-player campaign, and a frantic multiplayer mode with many different gametypes, such as Match, CTF and Tag.

More information about the game can be found here; a torrent file containing the most recent release can be obtained here.

Ah I remember this.

Amazing how a Doom engine mod is able to make for a better sonic game than those "official" next gen crap ones.

Too bad that the engine doesn't really work anymore. I got some really strange effects when I started this so I preemptively removed it from my HD quickly.

Graf Zahl said:

Too bad that the engine doesn't really work anymore. I got some really strange effects when I started this so I preemptively removed it from my HD quickly.

Thanks for sharing that helpful comment.

Scuba Steve said:

Holy shit... this was still being worked on?

This.

I remember the old days. I must have installed it wrong or something because I was shooting Pain Elementals that made Tails noises. It annoyed me enough that I uninstalled it. That was 10 years ago.

Wow, and I thought I'd seen the first and only Sonic-related Doom project when I played The Ultimate Doomer's Super Sonic Doom of a few years back, which was pretty good if a little too hard because of the mod monsters and some of the bosses. This I'll have to check out when work isn't busy kicking my ass around.

Edit: It's a standalone program that doesn't need anything else. After giving the first few zones a test drive, I must say so far I'm impressed. This isn't anything like Doom in the Sonic world (Like what SSD was), this is more like what a true Sonic game would be like if it were made in the Doom world.

My only complaint so far is that the characters are a bit hard to control at high speeds, even Tails (supposedly the slowest of the three) moves along at a pretty blistering pace... though that could just be my crappy hybrid keyboard/mouse skills not used to playing this style of game quite yet.

Graf Zahl wrote:

I noticed a lot of HOM errors in many of the very open locations, such as the large lake in Greenflower 2, so I'm not sure if they switched node-builders or what. At least it plays fine, even if the controls are a little more slippery on this version.
Glad to see more new zones. It certainly shows that the mappers have been working hard.

The sprites and everything look great! They don't appear to be just lame rips from any of the games...

Me and Chris have been playing through this in CooP, and I must say, its definitely an improvement over the last version. They definitely did a good job on EggRock Zone, and the effects they used in there are nicely done.

Other then the somewhat wonky controls, this game is actually pretty good. It's nice to play a Sonic game for once that isn't an embarrassment.

I played the older version of this the other week, though I didn't know it was still being developed. Awesome work.

This engine could really benefit from slopes and the ability to run on walls/ceilings after running up a curve made from said slopes. It was never really the speed that defined the classic Sonic games, it was the loops.

It looks great, but I wish there was an easier way to save. Everytime I try to do so in the console, it says "unknown command save". So I'm pretty much screwed

I'm guessing you never played S&K then? It will save each act or zone.

Edward850 said:

I'm guessing you never played S&K then? It will save each act or zone.

nope, it only saved the very first level. When I made it to the next act, I left the game with both of the bonus levels completed and the gems in my possession. When I went to restart it from the same slot, it brought me back to the first level, first act, rather than act 2.

Well make sure you have the additional save fix patch as well. Although, I mostly only played up to each zone, so I'm unsure if it saves each act.

The game only saves when you clear an entire zone, yeah. We're getting a fair amount of flak for that, but I don't really see the problem; lives kind of become meaningless if you can save wherever you want, and while simply saving every stage would be a step in the right direction, then lives would be meaningless on the final boss's stage (lose all your lives? Just reload the save, you'll have 'em all back!)

2.0.1 fixes this glitch where the game saves every time the first act of a zone is reloaded, causing your lives to slowly whittle away without you realizing it until you lose your last life on your last continue, load up and - whoops, no lives! The game not saving at all, however, sounds like a glitch. See if the problem persists, and if it does, please, report it! SRB2 is still a work in progress (believe it or not), and admittedly we've got a lot of bugs still left to catch; any assistance in doing that would be appreciated.

Glad you're enjoying it. Hope my intro post wasn't too spammy... <_<'

I think saving after each entire zone clear is acceptable, like what you got when you played through the original S&K games.

I played though the entire game and it's pretty good overall. Egg Rock Zone is tough as nails though, especially Egg Rock Zone Act 2. I went in with far too few lives to spare so I used god mode just to run through the area. I've started a new save file so that I can build up more lives to spend on that level (and beat it legitimately).

Also those Emerald tokens are very easy to miss if you don't know where they are. I only found a single token between the start and Egg Rock on my first pass.

One of the greatest Doom TC's (and really a TOTAL conversion!) that nobody's ever heard of.

There was another crappy Sonic-based wad in which you still used doom guns, just with sonic hands MSPainted on. For some reason that ones better remebered than this one.

The music bloats up the file size greatly proportional to the rest of the data for some reason. They could save their bandwidth crisis if they stuck to tracker stuff (MOD, IT, XM) or something.

Nice. Good to see it's still going. I always meant to attempt a map for SRB but never got round to it. Maybe this new version will prompt me to give it a go at some point.

Actually... crazy thought... how about a DW community pack for it?

Shadow Hog said:

The game only saves when you clear an entire zone, yeah. We're getting a fair amount of flak for that, but I don't really see the problem; lives kind of become meaningless if you can save wherever you want, and while simply saving every stage would be a step in the right direction, then lives would be meaningless on the final boss's stage (lose all your lives? Just reload the save, you'll have 'em all back!)

2.0.1 fixes this glitch where the game saves every time the first act of a zone is reloaded, causing your lives to slowly whittle away without you realizing it until you lose your last life on your last continue, load up and - whoops, no lives! The game not saving at all, however, sounds like a glitch. See if the problem persists, and if it does, please, report it! SRB2 is still a work in progress (believe it or not), and admittedly we've got a lot of bugs still left to catch; any assistance in doing that would be appreciated.

Glad you're enjoying it. Hope my intro post wasn't too spammy... <_<'

Lives are a pointless arcadeism originally designed to keep suckers players inserting more and more coins into an arcade machine. Unlimited restarts are the way to go for a PC or console game.

That said, I did enjoy the last version or Sonic Robo Blast 2 and I think it's better than anything Sonic Team has made in six years. I'm sure this version will prove to be any better once I get around to playing it.

I just tried this for the first time. ...Wow. O_O

I can barely recognise the Doom engine under all this epicness. Just... awesome. :D

I do have one "bug" to report (I won't register on the forums just yet) - on using the mid-air dash attack on Eggman I get flung back a massive distance. I don't know if this is intentional or not, but it sure makes the Zone 2 boss a bloody chore. :/

Creating large, open areas of terrain has never been one of my strong points, so mapping for SRB2 might help with that. I'm on holiday for another few weeks, so won't be starting anything just yet. When I get back, I'll probably start messing about in the editor to see if there's any potential for something good.

Fucking amazing! I remember seeing previews for this version and I couldn't wait.

DooMAD said:Actually... crazy thought... how about a DW community pack for it? [/B]

Go for it! If this takes off, I'll make a level for this! Remember there is a version of Doom Builder that was specifically built for SRB2.