Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NoWits

Does anyone know any good mass-PNG-to-BMP converters?

I'm looking in particular for one that makes transparency into cyan, for sprites. I have one but it just turns the transparency into white. Any help would be great.. thanks.

I use Cognaxon WSQ Viewer. It can both A) Open pretty much any image file under the sun, and B) Convert an entire directory at once to a more common format such as BMP, PNG, JPEG, etc.

Which source port do you plan on using these sprites in? Some ports (Zdoom and GZdoom for definite) can use PNGs and the built-in PNG transparency will work in game.

And, BTW, just in case you think it is: Cyan is not transparent in Doom. Doom has no cyan in its palette at all.

http://zdoom.org/wiki/Palette

XWE uses cyan as the transparent color for exactly the reason that it is not in the doom palette (usually magenta is considered the transparent color bit this IS in the doom palette).

Anyway, I made (read: hacked together from old code) a small tool for you that converts all transparent PNGs in a given dir (and subsirs) to XWE BMPs. I hope you have Java. It's here (right-click, Save as...) Source code included.

I just tried the batch image converter in the Doomcrap package from the drdteam site and it doesn't seem to work at all (might be a vista 64 issue)

Zom-B said:

XWE uses cyan as the transparent color for exactly the reason that it is not in the doom palette (usually magenta is considered the transparent color bit this IS in the doom palette).

Anyway, I made (read: hacked together from old code) a small tool for you that converts all transparent PNGs in a given dir (and subsirs) to XWE BMPs. I hope you have Java. It's here (right-click, Save as...) Source code included.

C:\doomstuf\gunsnds\rftr>java -jar TransparentPNG2BMP.jar *.png
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NullPointerException
        at TransparentPNG2BMP.parseDir(TransparentPNG2BMP.java:29)
        at TransparentPNG2BMP.main(TransparentPNG2BMP.java:23)
What happened?

"*.png" is not a path, it's a filename mask. Try "c:\maps\sprites\" or just "."