Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Patrick

Boom: forcing a pistol start

I know this has been asked b4, but I can't seem to find the thread. Is it possible to make a map in Boom that forces a pistol start? If so, how would I go about it? (if someone can link that old thread, t'would be awesome)

Not directly, but you could make the previous map end by simultaneously killing the player and triggering a romero-head exit, a la the end of most of Scythe 2's episodes.

Making a player die and then cross a W1 exit line works, too. Can be done by teleporting the player on a conveyor and kill him there.

Or - though it does sound barbaric - separating the mod into several wads starting at MAP01.

The only problem is they might press Use when they die, forcing them to play the level ALL OVER AGAIN.

Not nice.

You've got to make him teleport to a player 1 start which will telefrag him, but make that bit just before a W1 exit on a megafast conveyor belt.

I once made the player telefrag a barrel that killed him whilst propelling him across a W1 end level line.

I've used Dehacked to make a thing that when the player telefrags, it ends the level. Coupled with an extra player1 start to make a voodoo doll, he kills himself and ends the level, thus starting him again with a pistol and a tiny chance of the person restarting the level beforehand.

How did you do that with dehacked? Is it doom2.exe v1.9 compatible and does it require much "resources" (frames, useful things etc) in dehacked?

Well, I am not using the BFG so I dismantled all its frames, and I made the BFG shot into the thing - I made the death frame into one of the BFG frames and made the action "BrainDie" which ends the level.

Or you could steal some frames from the Pain Elemental resurrection sequence, which won't be seen anywhere. At least, it shouldn't.

Well, for my project, there will not be many frames to spare... But I think I can just use the romero head and change it to brainDie instantly when damaged. That will also free up some frames.

The doom2 final boss is crappy anyway imo.

Erik said:
The doom2 final boss is crappy anyway imo.

I'd like to see a level 30 with multiple final bosses, each of which you can kill and count as monster kills. See here for some technical details on how to achieve this.