Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
trooper077

Is Doom Based Off The Orignal Engine Anymore?

I know this might sound weird but doom isn't really doom anymore
Doom was based off of an engine that only alowwed us to move and strafe on a set camera motion that could only be turned. now we can move the camera around use items,jump and crouch it sounds alot more like the engine duke nukem and blood was built on does it ot

Dude, if you knew anything about programming, you'd know that it's still the Doom engine at heart. There's no way any Doom port would have Duke Nukem-based code, or at least enough to make a difference.

WildWeasel said:

Dude, if you knew anything about programming, you'd know that it's still the Doom engine at heart. There's no way any Doom port would have Duke Nukem-based code, or at least enough to make a difference.

True I could think this way due to my lack of any programming skills or makig a doom wad period i would like to learn i just dont have the patience to read the help pannel

maybe im rambling it's 12:57AM

I need to sleep

Are you asking about Doom 3 or Doom source ports?

The source ports (Boom, PrBoom, ZDoom, GZDoom, Eternity, Legacy, ReMooD, jDoom/Doomsday, EDGE, etc etc etc) are all based off the original Doom source code released in 1993. Some change the code more than others. The Chocolate-Doom project attempts to mimic as much as possible the original Doom, including all limitations and bugs.

Doom 3 is an entirely new engine. The id Tech engines that have powered Quake, Quake 2, Quake 3 and now Doom 3 are similar in name only. They're all mostly written by the same guy (John Carmack) so no doubt he has his own coding style and similar ways of doing simple things, but that's where the similarity ends.

Ken Silverman's Build engine (which powered Duke3D, Blood, Shadow Warrier and others) has absolutely nothing to do with the Doom code, except that they are both 3D shooters. They were developed entirely independently of each other, by different people in different companies for different games. Same goes for almost every other 3D engine out there.

WildWeasel said:

There's no way any Doom port would have Duke Nukem-based code, or at least enough to make a difference.

ZDoom slopes.

Zdoom Slopes are just slopes. Doom is not capable of alot of things in Duke3d Engine..

Ive yet to see proper Room Stacking where u can walk on a room on top of another.. pretty sure Duke 3D had this..

David_Dweedle said:Ive yet to see proper Room Stacking where u can walk on a room on top of another.. pretty sure Duke 3D had this.. [/B]

Only if two overlapping sectors don't share a two-sided line. That means, you can never see both sectors at the same time.
Blood and Shadow Warrior had that, done by portals.

There are many ports. There is nothing to stop you using one that retains as much of the original behaviour and/or graphics as you like.

If you choose to use a port that changes many aspects of the game, then yes, it will feel and look less like the original. But all are essentially based on the original source code, even if it is barely recognizable when you compare it. And some have brought in signicant lumps of code from other programs, or sections written from scratch, and may have thrown out big lumps of id's code too.

David_Dweedle said:

Ive yet to see proper Room Stacking where u can walk on a room on top of another.. pretty sure Duke 3D had this..

Eternity. The later SVN builds however. Maybe you can obtain it from other users?

As for Doom engines based or not on Doom.exe, what about hardware rendered ones? What about Doomsday? Are they planning to move farther from the origin?

David_Dweedle said:

Zdoom Slopes are just slopes. Doom is not capable of alot of things in Duke3d Engine..

RORDoom. Unfortunately an abandoned port with no source code released. Also, it has no z coordinate for thing placement, which makes stacking rooms rather pointless, unless you like them empty.

fraggle said:

I for one don't understand the question.

Nevermind, it was "the fuck", but in fact I gotta hand the thanks to Gez or anyone for making that version public (25 of July was today, or yesterday!)

printz said:

Nevermind, it was "the fuck", but in fact I gotta hand the thanks to Gez or anyone for making that version public (25 of July was today, or yesterday!)

Uh, I meant the question in the original post.

It is true that advanced DOOM ports have become more like later games, introducing a lot of the very features that early DOOM purists (QS clan members, I am looking at you) railed against during the advent of Quake.

Consoles, crosshairs, jumping, mlook, moving walls, room-over-room, particles, decals, etc.

Even today there are three camps of DOOMers:
* Purists, as always, who want their DOOM served vanilla-style, perhaps save for the chop-o-vision 320x200 video,
* Middle-of-the-road people who don't care as long as it says DOOM on the title screen
* New-age n00bs who send me emails asking what the point of Eternity is if it's not going to either look like Skulltag visually or feature gameplay ripped from the likes of Halo and TF (9_9)

As long as such a wide range of people have interest in DOOM, there will continue to be ports that cater to those along the entire spectrum. EE tries to bring in a bit of both with high compatibility and features that make peoples' eyes bug out.

Some ports do indeed incorporate code from later game engines. ZDoom does have BUILD math routines and its slope code is heavily influenced from it. Randy has in fact talked about replacing the entire BSP renderer with a BUILD-derived portal renderer lately.

Eternity and some other ports have code derived from the Quake games (though in EE's case this is just in the particle engine and not the renderer).