Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ninjalah

When one Wad ends, another starts.

Ok, so I made a WAD as MAP01 (Doom 2), how do i make it so that when i finish that level it goes to my next WAD rather than the default MAP02?

Oh and I'm new here (been keeping an eye on this forum for quite awhile, decided to get active) and wanted to know also, Why do you need two text files, one in the zipped folder and one outside? Is it so that moderators can read what the WAD is about and decided whether or not it's junk?

Thanks.

Ninjalah said:

Ok, so I made a WAD as MAP01 (Doom 2), how do i make it so that when i finish that level it goes to my next WAD rather than the default MAP02?

You don't. You put both maps into the one wad, and then it'll automatically go on to your MAP02. You can either use Doom Builder's 'Save Into...' command (making sure they are different map numbers), or you can merge them manually with XWE or SlumpEd (not sure about the exact procedure there.)

Ninjalah said:

In your editor, save your next level as a MAP02 lump. Now put this second level in the same WAD as your first level.

Eg in Doombuilder load your second level, go to Edit, Map Options, and change Level Name from MAP01 to MAP02. Then File, Save Map Into, and pick the WAD your first level (with level name MAP01) is in. You should end up with a single WAD containing two levels: MAP01 and MAP02.

Word of the wise: always make backups before you do stuff like that.

Why do you need two text files, one in the zipped folder and one outside? Is it so that moderators can read what the WAD is about and decided whether or not it's junk?

So the maintainer of the archive can see where to put your WAD without having to open ZIPs all the time. It's a firm rule; not adhering to it may result in your WAD being rejected.

Good luck!

It's also helpful and convenient for all concerned. Those browsing the directory can read the [external] text before downloading; the idgames database takes its text from the external text (rather than unzipping each file in the hope of finding an appropriate txt of some sort) for each wad page. And, perhaps most importantly, the txt inside the zip means that anyone who downloads the wad will always have a copy of the txt together with it, so that in the future if they look at it again, they will know what the hell the wad is.