Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ninjalah

New Mapper, Needs Tips/Tricks/Hints/etc.

Good map?  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Good map?

• Yes
    • No

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=SGV21PSS

Tell me what you guys think. I can haz potential?

[Edit] Maybe i should have gave some info, its 3:04 AM and im hungry, so forgive me.

This is a wad of 2 maps, first is more of a demonic dungeon map, fairly easy, maybe the end is a little difficult but nothing a person who has played DOOM for more than an hour can deal with. There are 3 secrets i believe, but i didnt know how to make it so that the screen read "A secret has been revealed!", but im sure you'll know when it comes by. One or 2 shockers, nothing big IMO. Red key room can get a little hairy.

The Second map (kickass names i know) is more futuristic meets hell. Transitions are somewhat sudden, and can be smoother IMO. Only 1-2 secrets in this one. Pretty short, longer than the first map though. This map actually takes me one or two tries, so i think its pretty balanced difficulty wise (seeing as you get all the ammo you need when you need it). Sometimes may depend on luck. NOTE: In the Yellow Key room, there is a somewhat hidden Former Sarge, can get annoying but if you dont find him before you go down the lift, then you probably wont notice him at all.

Thanks.

I played MAP01 in ZDoom.

Huge, featureless hallways. Thick doors flat against walls. A spattering of easy monsters then a Cyberdemon with an invulnerability. This is very much like the maps people were making in 1994. Today this will get you a big thumbs down.

You obviously understand the map format. There's use of texture pegging, stairbuilding, line triggers and basic monster closets. Work on your scaling and locations. Look at how the rooms and passages are constructed in the IWADs and popular PWADs. Look at how popular authors layout their rooms, make gameplay tricky but not impossible, and how they detail their surroundings. Everyone has to start somewhere dude :)

Also, don't put your wads in a folder inside the zip. There's no need to include Doom Builder's DBS file, and use UPLTEMPL.TXT or the txt Generator to make your textfiles.

Edit: Gave MAP02 a go. Same deal. Try to keep your texture usage sensible. The red door at the start is bricks, which kinda makes no sense. Try sinking your doors into the walls a bit. Even doors IRL have doorframes. Sensible monster progression is not Zombieman -> Imp -> Cyberdemon :)

Super Jamie said:

I played MAP01 in ZDoom.

Huge, featureless hallways. Thick doors flat against walls. A spattering of easy monsters then a Cyberdemon with an invulnerability. This is very much like the maps people were making in 1994. Today this will get you a big thumbs down.

You obviously understand the map format. There's use of texture pegging, stairbuilding, line triggers and basic monster closets. Work on your scaling and locations. Look at how the rooms and passages are constructed in the IWADs and popular PWADs. Look at how popular authors layout their rooms, make gameplay tricky but not impossible, and how they detail their surroundings. Everyone has to start somewhere dude :)

Also, don't put your wads in a folder inside the zip. There's no need to include Doom Builder's DBS file, and use UPLTEMPL.TXT or the txt Generator to make your textfiles.

Edit: Gave MAP02 a go. Same deal. Try to keep your texture usage sensible. The red door at the start is bricks, which kinda makes no sense. Try sinking your doors into the walls a bit. Even doors IRL have doorframes. Sensible monster progression is not Zombieman -> Imp -> Cyberdemon :)

Hey thanks. Can you link me to the wads or any pretty popular ones because I dont get the doorframe thing too much :P.

Also, I have seen one or two pretty popular doom wads (Scythe i believe, could be wrong) and i hated how it was 'good' because it was pretty detailed and threw dozens of monsters in your face every corner. I'm pretty biased on that, so do link any of those.

The .dbs file was an accident. I forgot about that file completely.

I'll keep the monster progression in mind. Maybe instead of a cyberdemon, an arachnotron x2 or even just a room full of spectres will suffice.

Oh and the wall being brick thing, I just needed a dungeony wall for the transition, didnt really put much thought into that lol.

And a quick question, how do i make it so that different portals teleport to different Teleport receivers since there is no tag def. in things mode? And thanks again.

Ninjalah said:

Also, I have seen one or two pretty popular doom wads (Scythe i believe, could be wrong) and i hated how it was 'good' because it was pretty detailed and threw dozens of monsters in your face every corner. I'm pretty biased on that, so do link any of those.

Well don't expect much from the community here then. With things like deus vult 2, scythe 2, and to a lesser extent detail-wise Hell revealed (which would probably be more up your alley) basic maps have only gameplay to their name, so yours better be Fing good if you're going to keep that style ;D

I'll keep the monster progression in mind. Maybe instead of a cyberdemon, an arachnotron x2 or even just a room full of spectres will suffice.

Can't help you here, I'm too stuck on ultra violently hard maps now :(

Oh and the wall being brick thing, I just needed a dungeony wall for the transition, didnt really put much thought into that lol.

And that's where the 1994 iness comes in. Just take your time getting everything done as close to what you want to happen as you can. I like uploading stuff at 3 AM too then going to bed to see what random posts generate, but I usually spend the last hour or two detailing and trying to remember stuff I didn't quite do right the first time (happens sometimes with lifts and stuff, which you can only tell they don't have a lower texture when they're lowered or you're really good at spotting it at 3 AM).

And a quick question, how do i make it so that different portals teleport to different Teleport receivers since there is no tag def. in things mode? And thanks again.

put a teleport thing in the sector you tagged to teleport the monster into.
EDIT: nevermind that last bit. what you want is to make separate sectors with different tags and separate trigger linedefs with those tags. This means more work but isn't really all that much, especially with bigger maps, where you can make multiple waves of monsters by having doors open sections of the monster teleport pens as the player progresses.

Have a search on the forums for things like "favorite megawad" or just browse /idgames for high-rated (4+ stars) files.

Off the top of my head, check out Alien Vendetta, Remain1, Ultimate Simplicity, Nightomb and Yesterday's Nightmare. I think they're the best of the best.

You make teleports by tagging a line as the source, and a sector as the destination, then place a Teleport Destination thing in the tagged sector with the direction you want the player to face.

Google "dr sleep doom builder tutorial", which is a PDF file, and better than most commercial Doom editing books you can buy.

Ninjalah said:

They were 'good' because their gameplay was clever and challenging. The details were well done, but they aren't the reason I keep coming back to said popular doom wads.

Super Jamie said:

Have a search on the forums for things like "favorite megawad" or just browse /idgames for high-rated (4+ stars) files.

Off the top of my head, check out Alien Vendetta, Remain1, Ultimate Simplicity, Nightomb and Yesterday's Nightmare. I think they're the best of the best.

You make teleports by tagging a line as the source, and a sector as the destination, then place a Teleport Destination thing in the tagged sector with the direction you want the player to face.

Google "dr sleep doom builder tutorial", which is a PDF file, and better than most commercial Doom editing books you can buy.

People sell "How to make Doom maps" books!? If i haven't seen a rip-off... i use Youtube most of the time, I believe the persons name is Chubzdoomer. He's really good and uses a mic so you don't have to read the text scroll by in note pad letter for letter. But yeah, i also made the first map in about 3 hours, and the second map in about 5. Hopefully i can get quicker so i can release quality products in good time.

Pretty standard '94 map. Please check db's error finder, as there were a couple homs and other problems.

Ninjalah said:

Hopefully i can get better so i can release quality products in good time.

Fix'ed.