Find results in...
trooper077

Need some help starting off

Will You Help his Guy?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Will You Help his Guy?

• Yes
    • No

I would like to start making doom levels or weapons but i dont know how is there anyone that can tell me where to get the tools to do so and where to learn how to build doom levels? also i need to know where to get textures from if anyone caan help it would be really appreciated

Level Editing - Doom Builder 2. You can find this tool in the doom builder forums here at Doomworld.

Textures - doomworld.com/afterglow You can find textures here.

Weapons - Paint, to make weapon sprites, and XWE for DECORATE, the weapon actions. You can find XWE here in the appropriate forums here at doomworld.

You're going to need some decent map editor at first, I personally recommend either DeePSEA or SLADE. Doombuilder is for pussies!

In addition to that, you will also need a Wad/Lump editor for adding custom content. SLumpED or XWE are good programs for this. Wintex is a little bit old, but will also work.

As far as creating custom content is concerned, I use Photoshop for my monsters/textures. I Also use Illustrator for fonts and titlescreens.

Patrick said:

You're going to need some decent map editor at first, I personally recommend either DeePSEA or SLADE. Doombuilder is for pussies!

In addition to that, you will also need a Wad/Lump editor for adding custom content. SLumpED or XWE are good programs for this. Wintex is a little bit old, but will also work.

As far as creating custom content is concerned, I use Photoshop for my monsters/textures. I Also use Illustrator for fonts and titlescreens.

Obvious trawl is obvious

A better idea would be to make some good maps before bothering with weapons and sprites and crap. Regardless of how good those are people won't care if your maps are crappy.

Use3D said:

A better idea would be to make some good maps before bothering with weapons and sprites and crap. Regardless of how good those are people won't care if your maps are crappy.

ok but just for future referances do you know a phtoshop link i figure i can use the weapon resource wad in the future or go look around at the source port's forums

trooper077 said:

ok but just for future referances do you know a phtoshop link i figure i can use the weapon resource wad in the future or go look around at the source port's forums

I voted no, but I guess I am happy today.
GNU Image Manipulation Program

I voted for both. Just because I could and it didn't make any sense.

trooper077 said:

photoshop free

Photoshop isn't free.

Also, here are some good websites as references:

Doom Wiki
ZDoom Wiki

If you have specific questions about a particular source port, it's best to first look through their documentation (ZDoom Wiki if it's a ZDoom question), then search their forums, and if you can't find the answer to your question or problem, then ask.

This thread was a bit unnecessary as you could have brought up countless other threads with links to tutorials, websites, and utilities by using the forum search function. Searching is your friend.

Patrick said:

Yay! Turns out I'm not the only one using SLADE. :P