Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
trooper077

Scariest Moments In Games

Darkfyre said:

Phantasmagoria: The final chapter, when you're stumbling around the house in a panic and you don't know where the demon is.

Heh, forgot about that game. I played it when I was 6 or 7. Got to the part where you're strapped in a chair and have your head chopped in two vertically, and ended up not playing the game ever again. :P It hasn't aged very well though, and it's pretty funny to watch now.

Edit: Oh, and then there's this. note: probably not for the faint at heart, or whatever.

AgentSpork said:

Edit: Oh, and then there's this. note: probably not for the faint at heart, or whatever.

That is one of the creepiest things I've ever seen In a video game! Freddy and Jason, eat your heart out!!! The mid 90's quality does make it look less menacing though, lol.

Wikipedia says 1995. A Japanese only version for the Sega Saturn came out in 1997, with all FMV'S and dialogue changed to Japanese.

The game had a lot of disc's for it too, 7 for the PC and 8 for the Saturn.

Oh, I just remembered the first tomb raider scaring the shit out of me when I was younger, especially bacon lara and the enemies later in the game.

Well, try being 6 at the time this game came out. :P I don't know how my parents let me play these kinds of games. I don't think the guillotine scene was much better, though I can hardly remember and all the clips on youtube are censored and don't show the actual head splitting part for some reason.

There's some other particularly screwed up scenes in the game, such as a someone being forced fed brains and other assorted meat through a funnel until they suffocate, and a woman being stabbed in the face with a gardening tool. I think a lot of the acting in this game tops the original Resident Evil in terms of cheesiness, but I guess some people would say that adds charm to it.

Ever play Phantasmagoria 2? Possibly the most unintentionally funny adventure game I ever played. It's less gorey than the first one for sure, and the horror atmosphere is completely broken by awfully acted cheesey cutscenes, and a hamster named blob.

It's freakin' great.

AgentSpork said:

Got to the part where you're strapped in a chair and have your head chopped in two vertically, and ended up not playing the game ever again. :P

Oh noes, that was the end! That part was a bitch to get right anyways, super trial and error. That and of course the fact that once you beat the game it deleted your savegames. Bastardish.

Never played the second one. It looked like it was the physical manifestation of 'ball cheese'.

I didn't like Scratches very much, it had 1 or 2 creepy moments but was overall blah. If you enjoy adventure games try the Penumbra series, the first two are Thief style first-person sneaking with the adventure style gameplay, and you can't face creatures or you start breathing heavy and go into panic mode. The third Penumbra is sorta like a twisted gothic version of Portal, no monsters or anything, but more 'watch your step'.

I really enjoyed penumbra 3, wasn't so much crazy scary as just a really creepy atmosphere.

What about the very first alien vs predator? No footstep sounds, so the only way you know if there's something near you is when you turn around and it's right in your face making that creepy ass attack sound.

All the talk of horror games and now I can't quit thinking of pyramid head. *shudder*

I haven't played too many horror games, but I think the scariest game for me was Resident Evil remake on the GameCube. It just had the creepiest atmosphere and every enemy was a legitimate threat. Constantly running out of ammo and only having the knife to defend yourself didn't really help either. I would always made sure to burn the bodies of the zombies so I would never have to go up against crimson heads. Those scared the crap out of me too.

Doom 3 wasn't really that scary for me since all the monsters are pretty easy to kill and you're always loaded with guns and ammunition. I think it's scarier with the Trent Reznor soundpack. The imps and the commandos sound a lot more ferocious with that mod. In fact, to all those that thought the first five minutes of Delta 1 was creepy, replay it with the Trent Reznor sound pack. It's waaayyy creepier.

FEAR had its moments too. One part that really startled me and made me jump was when I was in the Armacham building and I was walking down this hall with glass windows on the left side and a dead body of an Armacham guard smashed through the windows and an assasin ran out and went up into the ceiling.

doomygecko said:

What about the very first alien vs predator?

I remember the Jaguar version, and holy crap that was scary. Trekking through the Predator ship, all silent, then all of a sudden that damn bird clicking noise and the "over here" whisper... Sphincter clenching time.

The Shalebridge Cradle from Thief 3 is the beginning and end of all things creepy in games. Psychologically scarring.

There were parts of Clive Barker's Undying that were fairly creepy, especially when Scrying in a room and seeing it change completely.

The original AvP marine missions were pretty good for this. AvP 2 was scripted to holy hell and didn't really work as well for me.

Doom 3 wasn't particularly scary at most points, but it made me horribly paranoid and worried with every step.

Honestly bitches Katamari Damacy is a pretty fucking terrifying game. An ill tempered king thats colossal, a little dude that rolls up everything he can find into a ball, including people, and using those people to make STARS? Thats some fucked up shit.

Seriously though probably the scariest game I've played is Silent Hill 2. Horror games are not my thing rly.

I was around 5 maybe, playing Maniac Mansion on the C64. I think my character was standing either in the basement or in the hall when suddenly the doorbell rang (Ed's package arrived), followed by the cutscene where Ed leaves his room. I was so scared he might catch me that I hit the reset switch in panic, heh.

Lords of Doom and Elvira 2 (C64) got to me, as well.

As for FPS games - as long as I have a gun, nothing gets me spooked really. There were a few startling moments in Doom3, but those were more because of the surprise effect.
I found the town level in Call of Cthulhu to be somewhat creepy, though (no weapons).

i can remember when i was about 6 or 7 and i was on the last boss of yoshi's island (baby bowser) I can clearly remember the part where he charges you from the distance that scared the shit out of me

Oddworld used to always give me nightmares. Abe was the most creepy thing I ever saw. I also got scared the first time a giant fish ate me in Ratchet and Clank.

neg!ke said:

I was so scared he might catch me that I hit the reset switch in panic...

Reset switch on a C64? Might wanna check your facts, you mean power button? :P

TheeXile said:

Speaking of giant fish...
Ahhhhhh!

Kinda cool that you started the vid in the middle. But is that thing really called big bertha? And that thing scared the hell outta me on Super Mario 64 seeing as when i saw it (On the map where you can go really big or really small according to what picture you jumped thru) i couldnt get away and always was eaten.

Ninjalah said:

Kinda cool that you started the vid in the middle.

put

#t=1m25s
at end of url, replacing '1' and '25' with the number of minutes and seconds, respectively.

The first time I played through DOOM 3, there were some intense moments. By far the most intense was the first time you enter the Delta complex. I think that's the part; it's been so long, I can't remember, unfortunately. Right before you go to Hell.

The place is abandoned and totally wrecked. There is the reddish-orange light of the Mars atmosphere through the windows, and shadows and silhouettes of demons.

If you're actually into it, that level can really draw out because the suspense and feeling that you have to be quiet and careful as you make your way through the base.

Unfortunately, subsequent runs through the game weren't scary at all, and I absolutely failed to recreate that feeling in the Delta labs.

Use3D said:

Reset switch on a C64? Might wanna check your facts, you mean power button? :P

There were external reset modules - I assumed they were quite common. My brother even had it built in when he upgraded his machine to Dolphin Dos.

Wolf3D:
- second episode ("silent" mutants)
- maze levels, such as level 7 of the 6th episode

Eye of the Beholder series.
- Spiders
- being low on health and being cornered

There was also a game called "Alone in the Dark", does anyone remember?

flubbernugget said:

Oddworld used to always give me nightmares. Abe was the most creepy thing I ever saw.

What are you talking about? Abe is cute in his own special little way. :D

Fiend said:

There were parts of Clive Barker's Undying that were fairly creepy, especially when Scrying in a room and seeing it change completely.

B]

Ahhh, i'd forgotten about that game. My brother had a demo that was pretty creepy, especially when you walk up some stairs and there's a desk with a mirror at the top, suddenly you see somebody floating in mid-air in the mirror, but if you look around there's nothing there.

At the end of the demo it got all Xen-ish though, which i didn't like so much. How much of the full game is "haunted mansion" and how much is "Xen"? Might track down the full version if there's not too much jumping from tiny platforms above a bottomless chasm.

deathbringer said:

How much of the full game is "haunted mansion" and how much is "Xen"? Might track down the full version if there's not too much jumping from tiny platforms above a bottomless chasm.

Around 70% of the games takes place in or on the grounds around the house. The rest takes place in other "settings" like the Xen area. To me the other area's did help keep the game from getting boaring.

Over all Clive Barkers Undying is worth picking up. It has a good story and dual wielding spells/fire arms is sweet. The only thing I wish it had was more mod support. I'd love to get my hands on a good editer and source code for that game.

neg!ke said:

There were external reset modules - I assumed they were quite common. My brother even had it built in when he upgraded his machine to Dolphin Dos.

Never seen that before, and I though I had pretty good knowledge of most C64 gadgets. Nice.

Satyr000 said:

Over all Clive Barkers Undying is worth picking up. It has a good story and dual wielding spells/fire arms is sweet. The only thing I wish it had was more mod support. I'd love to get my hands on a good editer and source code for that game.

I dunno, it had some interesting concepts but I think they used the wrong engine. The levels were too damn small and the loading really ruined the immersion.