Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Kyka

Help with merging wads. (New question)

...specifically help with adding custom monsters to wads.

Using XWE, you open your map, then go to file, click merge, and then browse for the monster.wad that you want to add. So I did all this, and nothing seems to be adding, and I don't know what I am doing wrong.

And Slumped doesn't even seem to have a merge function, though it must have somewhere...

I am really new to doing anything like this, so any help appreciated.

You can try doing it the "hard" way and first extracting the lumps from the monster wad to your hard drive and then importing those to your map wad.

Jodwin said:

You can try doing it the "hard" way and first extracting the lumps from the monster wad to your hard drive and then importing those to your map wad.

I have no idea how to go about doing this, but I am gonna go try it anyway, coz I am sure I will learn something just by messing around with the lumps.

Kappes Buur said:

XWE seems to be buggy when merging PWADs. I usually use Deepsea for that function. It's easy to use and it gives immediate feedback if something goes wrong.
http://www3.telus.net/NeoHippo/TUTORIALS/DECORATE_Import/DECORATE01.htm

Consider this downloaded.

Thanks for the replies. :)

To "merge" wads in SLumpEd, just open the two wads in it (yay for tabs) and copy and paste the lumps between wads as needed.

DeePSea's wad merging function does have the significant advantage of being able to automatically combine multiple texture1 and pnames lumps, though. :)

Kyka said:

I have no idea how to go about doing this, but I am gonna go try it anyway, coz I am sure I will learn something just by messing around with the lumps.

Select all the lumps you want to merge with your map, Entry -> Save As. Then open your map wad, Entry -> Load, select all the lumps you previously saved.

It might be a bit more work than using a merging method, but since I've had some bad experiences with merging in different programs I prefer doing things manually.

*Bump*

Thanks for the replies, this was all really helpful.

Ok so I used SlumpED to merge a new monster into a wad. Well several actually. And I managed to make most of them work. But now I have a new question.

What order do all the lumps need to be in, and where should the ss_start and end points be. For example, on a standard map the order is

THINGS
LINEDEFS
SIDEDEFS
VERTICES
SEGS
SSECTORS
NODES
SECTORS
REJECT
BLOCKMAP

There are no start and end points defined.

Now with a custom monster, the order is

DECORATE
GLDEFS
SNDINFO
Assorted sound files.
SS_START
Assorted graphic files
SS_END

I am guessing that you put the custom monster lumps after the main wad lumps.

My question is this. If you are putting more than one custom monster in, should the order be

All the DECORATE scripts together
All the GLDEFS together
All the SND info together
SS_START
All the png files together
SS_END

or do you put all the information seperately, one after the other for each monster?. And where exactly do your start and end points go in the middle of all this?

Also, if you add a texture wad, where do you put the texture lumps for that?

Replies that don't assume I know much about this will be much appreciated. Thanks people. :)

I'd think the best thing to do with text-based lumps like DECORATE is to merge their actual content, so that you have only one of each. As long as the order of map data lumps is correct and you have stuff between correct markers the order doesn't matter.