Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Creaphis

Help with WhackEd, or maybe with downgrading my Doom.wad...

I'm trying to poke around in The Sky May Be's blessed.deh and WhackEd won't let me open it. It's telling me that "There were no engine configuration files found that match the patch file's target engine." I've never done any dehacked editing with any utilities before but I think this is because blessed.deh was built for Doom version 1.666's Doom.wad, and my only copies of Doom.wad are from Ultimate Doom. So:

1. Is my diagnosis of WhackEd's problem correct?

2. If not, what is the problem?

3. If so, how may I go about acquiring the correct Doom iwad? As in, are there downgrade patches somewhere? I'm not going to buy some old copy of Doom off ebay.

I think the problem isn't with your iwad, but with the fact that blessed.deh was made for the 1.666 executable, which WhackEd doesn't have any support for. If I remember right I tried a while back to get WhackEd to open blessed.deh by changing the header in the files, removing some parts that I somehow deducted were causing problems, but I don't think I ever managed to get it to actually load the patch successfully.

I thought Dehacked could magically fix those? You could try opening and resaving it using DHE 3.1 and see if it fixes it.

Thanks guys. The complexity of your responses have made me lose all desire to actually open and interpret blessed.deh.

Actually it became a moot point anyway, because the ultimate problem that I was suffering may be a Prboom+ bug. I found that in PrBoom+, with blessed.deh loaded, pressing any letter key would activate/deactivate the noclip cheat and I wanted to check blessed.deh to see if this was intentional, but when running The Sky May Be in Chocolate Doom I didn't have this problem. Perhaps the cheat code string replacements in blessed.deh are done in a glitchy way that Prboom+ can't handle.

I had that problem when I tried The Sky May Be on prboom+, too. I was also surrounded by MBF dogs. I had no fucking clue.

Cutting out the cheats section is an option. However, if I cut out the cheats section of blessed.deh and recorded a demo on PrBoom+ with that altered patch, would it be able to play back with the unaltered patch without desynching?

I guess this has sort of switched from a "Doom Editing" topic to a "Doom Speed Demos" or "Source Ports" topic...

Creaphis said:
would it be able to play back with the unaltered patch without desynching?

It should. The only way altered cheat codes could affect demo synching would be by the execution of cheats during play. To make the demo synch you'd then have to manually activate the cheats at the right moment.