Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ninjalah

"Insert Adjective Here" Moments in Video Games

I have to say the ending to CoD:World at War, people say it was a horrible game but i think that was one of the best endings i've seen in awhile.

2 Dooming moments that have stuck very clearly in my mind.

1) the first time I ever saw E2M2. After having played the shareware for ages, and finally getting my hands on the full version, I was absolutely blown away by the huuuge crate area. The lighting, the anbience, the mountains of crates and the narrow walkways between them. I was soooo immersed.

2)the first time I ever saw The Crusher Room from map06 of Doom 2. Biggest room I had ever seen in a FPS up to that point. It was just mind blowing. The size of that room was just outta control. Going down that lift and again on the lift going up on the other side, I felt such a sense of vast perspective. And the fact that there was a Spiderdemon in there as well just made it all the more epic.

Aaaaah. Good times.

In Sonic 2, Wing Fortress Zone. That was probably what sparked my love for skybases.

Kyka said:

2 Dooming moments that have stuck very clearly in my mind.

1) the first time I ever saw E2M2. After having played the shareware for ages, and finally getting my hands on the full version, I was absolutely blown away by the huuuge crate area. The lighting, the anbience, the mountains of crates and the narrow walkways between them. I was soooo immersed.

2)the first time I ever saw The Crusher Room from map06 of Doom 2. Biggest room I had ever seen in a FPS up to that point. It was just mind blowing. The size of that room was just outta control. Going down that lift and again on the lift going up on the other side, I felt such a sense of vast perspective. And the fact that there was a Spiderdemon in there as well just made it all the more epic.

Aaaaah. Good times.

for your number 2, i just did that like 5 mins ago since i'm getting around to beating the game. I also was amazed by the cinematic in Shinobi for the SNES. Awesome.

One of the two most ridiculous attacks in the game. Haven't played the newer installments but I doubt there's anything that tops this.

I avoided using the Knights of the Round summon only because the animation takes almost as long as this one. When I used Mime+W-Summon KotR on Emerald Weapon I could leave the comp unattended for 3 minutes, come back and the animation would still be going.

Scet said:

ITT: More Ninjalah post-count spam.

Sorry i have nothing better to do in Maryland besides actually post in doomworld's forums. Guess I'm a bad person now.

[EDIT] Holy hell dude, i wonder what'd be in the planets' spaces if he used the attack again?

Krispavera said:

Wherebouts in Maryland do you live?

*answers in a PM*

BoT: Finding out that your bunny from doom 1 is... *sniffle* dead.

Ninjalah said:

Sorry i have nothing better to do in Maryland besides actually post in doomworld's forums. Guess I'm a bad person now.

[EDIT] Holy hell dude, i wonder what'd be in the planets' spaces if he used the attack again?

Play more Doom.

Spoiler

When you find out that you are in fact Darth Revan in KOTOR

One of my favorite moments in gaming ever.

Too many to count really.

- The beginning of Star Control 2. The opening cinematic tells of you being stranded on a distant planet as the Earth fights an epic battle with an alien race. After years of isolation you finally return. You seriously don't expect the state you find the world in.

- Many parts of Quake blew me away when I first played them. The 3D was kind of amazing, even though I had played Descent before. Notable parts include the first time you see the fiend, the crypts where all the zombies pop out of the water (AND THEY WON'T STAY DEAD), and a few of the interesting traps they managed with a 3D engine (like the wall of bloody spikes coming down a narrow hallway at you).

- The jail hub of Quake 2 where all the crazy marines are. Then you get to the next hub...

- The plot of Starcraft as a whole. Looking back from the end of Brood War, it's kind of interesting how the characters progressed from the beginning. Jim Raynor, a backwater Marshal fighting aline bugs becomes a heroic figure fighting several forces for the good of the galaxy. His love interest becomes queen of the alien hive. The mysterious second alien race that was trying to kill you in the beginning is now your greatest ally. The charismatic bandit leader who ends up becoming a fascist Emperor of humanity in the region. Then the little plot twist in the secret level for those who found it...makes me want to play the sequel some day, despite Blizzards' bullshit.

- Finally meeting the Master in Fallout.

- In Half-Life: "The military is here to rescue us!", also the Tentacle.

- In Doom. I've got over 9000 special moments with this game. I think the biggest was when I first saw my dad playing it, in I think E1M3 and he was in the dark and you could hear imps snorting all around him. It was eerie.

- Space Quest IV: "glancing at the status bar, you notice it says Space Quest XII". Seriously...best way to keep track of time travel in any game (or otherwise) ever.

Belial said:

One of the two most ridiculous attacks in the game. Haven't played the newer installments but I doubt there's anything that tops this.

Haha, what the fuck. The scale of the epicness there is beyond insane. I mean seriously. Destroying several planets (all blatantly named) just to kill a few people? Also, Final Fantasy takes place on Earth? Since when? AND THE MOVIE DOESN'T COUNT.

The original World Of Warcraft was epic as fuck. I'm talking like the first year it was out.

And Final Fantasy 7 was easily the most memorable game ever, at least to me. Fucking amazing.

Ninjalah said:

I haven't played FF7 but I've heard of this attack. Apparently the same animation plays if Sephiroth uses it again, which he may, even in the same battle, so I'm guessing that Mars gives Earth a hi-potion and tosses fenixdowns to all its fallen planetary comrades in between attacks.

But Final Fantasy 7 takes place on Midgar, the Swedish version of earth. It happens to look very similar to earth from space, and has a very similar solar system, but is very different when you are actually on it.

Danarchy said:

- In Doom. I've got over 9000 special moments with this game. I think the biggest was when I first saw my dad playing it, in I think E1M3 and he was in the dark and you could hear imps snorting all around him. It was eerie.

You know, my first memories of doom are of my sister and her friend playing it, and I was watching from behind a couch, really creeped out by e1m3.

The tomb of VARN in Might and Magic 6. Insanely huge dungeon, took me days to finish the first time. Still takes a good few hours to complete knowing exactly where to go.

Getting the chaingun in map03 was special too (I believe I played Doom 2 before 1, but can't really remember).

The first time I played the Arsenal Gear section in Metal Gear Solid 2, it freaked me the hell out. Another one of my cherished gaming moments.

Oh, and possibly my favorite gaming moment of all time: When Kane kills Seth and takes over as your commanding officer in the Nod campaign of Command and Conquer. That was sooooo badass at the time.

Bioshock's ending

Spoiler

When you met Andrew Ryan and he talks about what a slave does and you find out that Atlas really is Fontaine and you have wasted pretty much all of the game helping the guy by being a slave for him. It was a nice twist to the story.

WTF moments:

The ending to Half Life 2: Episode 2. What. The Fuck. That was the most unexpected, and frankly uncomfortable video game moment I've ever experienced. I loved it.

Danarchy said:

In Half-Life: [...] also the Tentacle.

YES. That game had a LOT of awesome moments in it back in the day. It's pretty campy now, but they really had an amazing sense of design (except for Xen) for that game, including plotting memorable moments. The Tentacle in the rocket testing lab is probably the best one.

Torn said:

Bioshock's ending

Indeed. It really screwed up my head, there. It was quite... memorable. Then I let a friend play through the game, and he's never gotten over that bit.

But that's not really the ending. It's more of the last 2/3rds?