Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
doomygecko

Would this even be possible?

Ok, so today I had a pretty cool idea for a massive scipting event tht I couldn't hope to implement myself. Would it be possible to create an enemy or event or something, that when you cross a certain trigger point it comes back to life as something different?

The scenario I had thought out was this: You just got to the final map of an epic megawad, you start in a small room with ammo and a bfg. you leave the room and there is nothing but a large courtyard with a single imp in it. You kill the imp and proceed towards the exit door. But it doesn't open, instead you turn around o see that the imp had come back to life as some horrific mutated monster that is far sronger than any normal enemy in the game, you would need to kill this to open the exit door.

So my question to you, would this even be possible with doom's engine?

I don't know of a way to directly "resurrect" the imp (besides an arch-vile or another monster which calls A_VileChase or an equivalent) into a stronger monster, but I think you could do it in ZDoom like so:

The imp is just a normal imp, you kill it, and go to the exit door.

When you click on the exit door, an ACS script runs which removes the imp corpse, and in its place spawns the new monster.

In order to fake the imp coming back to life, modify the monster's spawn state in DECORATE to have an animation which shows the imp's corpse turning into the mutated monster when the monster first appears.

Also running in the background (activated by the door's script) is a script checking the new monster's health, and when it dies, the door is opened.

There may be a more simple way, but that was my first thought.

Alright, awesome, I'll have to get a computer that will actally run doom builder (mine had a hard drive faliure) and then learn how to use it. I havn't actually made anything with it yet :P, I just thought I'd ask so I'd have info for the future.

I'm pretty sure you could do that even with dehacked. Think of it the same way a zombieman drops a clip after it dies. Your super mutated abomination would be dropped instead.

Yep, but you'd probably need to use the tag 667 effect in map07 for the door part if you used only DeHackEd.

DooMAD said:

Yep, but you'd probably need to use the tag 667 effect in map07 for the door part if you used only DeHackEd.

With DeHackEd you could give the new monster Keen's death codepointer, and any door with tag 666 would open on any map.

Decorate should be able to do this. First, make an enemy that looks and acts like any ordinary imp, but give it a custom raise state. When you kill this "imp", it will automatically go to the raise state, which will then spawn the new huge boss enemy.

alright, so now I have an idea on how to do this, anyone got an idea of an enemy that would make someone go "WTF IS THAT!?". I was thinking something like a gigantic baron with the icon of sin instead of the normal head.

doomygecko said:

alright, so now I have an idea on how to do this, anyone got an idea of an enemy that would make someone go "WTF IS THAT!?". I was thinking something like a gigantic baron with the icon of sin instead of the normal head.

I guess you could do that if you mean "WTF IS THAT" in a bad way.

doomygecko said:

I say it'd be a monster that is THE ICON OF SIN and it moves and kicks major ass cause it's pure hellspawn and not a human head of Romero on a stick.

But I would like to see a good "wtf is that" if it could be worked out.

But a Baron with a Romero head? Now wtf are you on? That'd be the ugliest, unresponsive monster ever. >.<

I wasn't talking about the romero head, I was talking about the skull on the wall, oon and upscaled baron (~cyberdemon size), with the skull modified to fit the body (likely both would get a color change). I also thought of doing some kind of semi-formless shadow thingamabob.

EDIT:
not what I'm talking about.

40oz said:

I'm pretty sure you could do that even with dehacked. Think of it the same way a zombieman drops a clip after it dies. Your super mutated abomination would be dropped instead.

I really wouldn't recommend this, though! For a start you'd have to only use the zombieman once, you'd have to replace the clip with your super monster (you can't edit "drops" in dehacked), also i once tried doing something similar in EDGE (where you can edit "drops") and the "dropped" super monster could be walked through due to some hardcoded effect (i did put one in the map in the editor to check! it was solid then). I don't know if this effect was EDGE specific or carried over from the orginal engine, though. But i'd suspect the latter