Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Magnificocadaver

How to access DECORATE

Is it done in similar fashion to accessing the command line (which will be a problem, as I've been using ZDL to start up WADs)?

Apologies for the noobish as hell questions, literally started doing this yesterday. :S

You put the DECORATE in a WAD. Then you load it like any other WAD with ZSL.

Alternatively, if you don't feel like dragging out the WAD editor, you can just put your DECORATE code in a .txt and load that with -file.

P.S. You can put command-line parameters in that little box at the bottom of ZSL.

Uhh... Just use XWE or SLumpEd and make a DECORATE lump in the wad itself?

DuckReconMajor said:

You put the DECORATE in a WAD. Then you load it like any other WAD with ZSL.

Alternatively, if you don't feel like dragging out the WAD editor, you can just put your DECORATE code in a .txt and load that with -file.

P.S. You can put command-line parameters in that little box at the bottom of ZSL.

Can you be more specific in regards to "putting DECORATE" in a WAD/.txt file (as in, do I insert the code into a pre-existing document)?

You'll need a wad editor. Most people use either XWE or SLumpEd. I suggest XWE if you're just starting out. Whichever one you download, if you're on Windows Vista, make sure you always Run as Administrator.

I'll tell you how to do this with XWE:

Open XWE
File -> New
Name the wad whatever you want
Entry -> New
Name the new entry "DECORATE"
Write your scripz in it

When you're ready, load it as you would any other wad.

DuckReconMajor said:

I suggest XWE if you're just starting out.

And I suggest SLumpEd in the same case, because it has a simpler interface. Also, I don't remember SLumpEd requiring to be run as an administrator.

But you don't even need it. You can make a file named decorate.whateverextensionyoufeellikegivingit, zip it along whatever wad you're doing, and load the zip.

Heh, that's actually a generic "template" sort of thing I take from a PM, since people are always asking about DECORATE. I think it needs to be updated.

Gez said:

And I suggest SLumpEd in the same case, because it has a simpler interface.

I actually started with SLumpEd, but switched to XWE because all of the help guides I found were all for XWE. Glad to see this is changing.

Gez said:

Also, I don't remember SLumpEd requiring to be run as an administrator.

Oh. I guess I never tried it without Administrator.