Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Ultraboy94

can you play the original "soundblasted" doom midis in a source port?

LogicDeLuxe said:

Someday, unless someone precedes me. I will certainly post it there when I'm doing it.

I look forward to it! Stereo OPL3 sounds pretty impressive, between that and your Roland box, you have the best Doom soundtrack ever.

Hearing your recordings makes me want to go out and buy a Sound Canvas synth myself.

LogicDeLuxe said:
Why those low qualty, overdriven and mono MP2s weren't replace with my high quality SC-155 (same GS engine) recordings, I don't know. But they are here in that thread: http://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-general/41149-original-full-quality-doom-12-soundtrack/

Aw crap I wish I knew about this earlier. I see there is one seed on the Doom 1 and Doom 2 torrents. If I can fully download those I'll be sure to seed for sometime.

Super Jamie said:
Hearing your recordings makes me want to go out and buy a Sound Canvas synth myself.

Heh, I was looking at different SC modules earlier today and thinking about buying one too...

Super Jamie said:

CODOR said:

Heh, I was looking at different SC modules earlier today and thinking about buying one too...

Yeah, all at once, so prices can increase to insane levels. I would make a fortune selling mine. Just kidding, I'd rather keep mine, of course.

Well, I'd need a MIDI interface, so a Lexicon Lambda or MBox II will set me back about AU$400, plus AU$200 for an SC-55 off eBay. Paying $600 to listen to what a professional sound engineer has already recorded for us in FLAC is probably not the best way to spend my money.

I have however started putting feelers out for an old PC with ISA slots. I also fished out my SB32 (with both ram slots full, oh yeah) and have people sending me an OPL3 SB16 and an AP6400. I can be a pretend sound recording dude :P

Super Jamie said:

Well, I'd need a MIDI interface, so a Lexicon Lambda or MBox II will set me back about AU$400

I don't know what you plan to with those, but a simple USB MIDI interface costs far less. In fact, even less than the MIDI cable for the Soundblaster gameport.

Hard to find one that specifically says it works with Linux, though I haven't tried any. I've had a Lambda working under Ubuntu before, so I know that's a certain bet.

Super Jamie said:
Hard to find one that specifically says it works with Linux, though I haven't tried any.

I haven't tried one but judging from the documentation and source code, any USB MIDI interface that claims that it uses the "USB Device Class Definition for MIDI Devices" should work. (And since the ALSA driver is at least partially based upon NetBSD's umidi driver, the list on its manpage might be helpful. It also appears that M-Audio and maybe some other USB MIDI devices need firmware uploaded to the device before the kernel drivers will recognize it.)

There's also a good chance any old PCI sound card with a joystick port will support MIDI with the proper cable...