Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AveryMaurice

Has this already been done?

Has anyone already made an Area 51 WAD? I want to make one but dont want to take someones idea... I dont know alot of the older Doomworld WADs.

If that has already been taken, anyone have any good ideas. I'm down to my last ones...

Probably, but that doesn't mean you can't take a shot at making a better one. Call it Area 52 to avoid copyright problems.

Yes, but who cares, make yours anyway.

Area 51 is a pretty common sci-fi theme, no doubt there are Area 51 maps for other games too (I seem to recall a Duke3D one?), so nobody's going to get their nose out of joint if you make your own original take on it. The more people making Doom maps the better, regardless of theme.

Out of interest, I found the above wad by typing "area51 idgames site:doomworld.com" into Google, keep that one in mind :)

About the only limitation you have is that you can't call the map "area51.wad", as that name is taken above. Something like "a_area51.wad" or "avery51.wad" would be fine.

Super Jamie said:

Yes, but who cares, make yours anyway.

Area 51 is a pretty common sci-fi theme, no doubt there are Area 51 maps for other games too (I seem to recall a Duke3D one?), so nobody's going to get their nose out of joint if you make your own original take on it. The more people making Doom maps the better, regardless of theme.

Out of interest, I found the above wad by typing "area51 idgames site:doomworld.com" into Google, keep that one in mind :)

About the only limitation you have is that you can't call the map "area51.wad", as that name is taken above. Something like "a_area51.wad" or "avery51.wad" would be fine.

Thanks for the advice, I'll try it out. When its done I'll put it in the WADS and Mods forum when I get the chance.

Super Jamie said:

Area 51 is a pretty common sci-fi theme, no doubt there are Area 51 maps for other games too (I seem to recall a Duke3D one?), so nobody's going to get their nose out of joint if you make your own original take on it.

Several Duke ones exist.

The first level of the sequel to Redneck Rampage takes place in Area 51, too

Considering that we're perfectly content to play new levels that feature UAC bases that have been invaded by hellspawn, even though that has been done before, I think you can feel free to map whatever you want to map.

Now, there are some things that really haven't ever been done, and could be done very well, but it takes rare inspiration to come up with them. Don't be concerned if you can't think of anything that's brand-new. A good execution of pre-existing ideas is also a thing of value.