Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
NoWits

Is there a way to change DEH files to BEX files?

I am creating a TC for PrBoom and started with a deh file - but it is getting a bit bonkers now and I was wondering if there was a way to turn it into the far more awesome BEX format? Thanks in advance.

They're the same, and BEX only adds over DEH, isn't a different format. Notably, Dehacked generated DEHs have a version information header, which is not needed by Boom, hence by BEX. [CODEPTR] and [STRINGS] blocks are the notable additions by BEX. They are meant as cleaner versions of Dehacked's default "Codep frame" and "Text 1213" entries. Boom supports those too, but aren't recommended.

So just rename your DEH into BEX, then use Whacked2 to edit it.

Also, if you're modding for PrBoom, you're welcomed to know that it's basically MBF rather than just Boom. Which means you can now have friendly monsters, grenades, ready land mines, random effects, and access to sector actions on tags, from the thing frames! Quite advanced features. Ignore the "but you'll forfeit ZDoom and otherport support" bullshit. There's still Eternity also to support it. And PrBoom itself is popular anyway, not to mention that it's released for Macs too.

Be sure to read BOOMDEH and BOOMREF which come with vanilla Boom (from TeamTNT's website), as well as MBFEDIT which comes with MBF or WinMBF (from googling, or looking thru /idgames).

Have fun.

I renamed my DEH to BEX, opened it, and this happened:

---------------------------
WhackEd2
Run-time error '91':

Object variable or With block variable not set
OK

Does PrBoom read it successfully? If W2 fails, you can edit it with a text editor.