Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Erik

Project announcement: Scythe X

Anders said:

Doesn't limit removing ports usually take care of that limit?

yes, but not all of them.

Also doom2+.

The thing is that 99% of the time the error is easily avoided without deterring from the map in any way so there is no reason not to fix it.

I think some people are planning to do a 'first demo attempt' for these maps or something by the way (= record a demo playing for the first time without seeing it before, pressing spacebar to continue if you die to restart while still recording, total time = all died attempts added together.. uh complevel 2 I guess). I'm prepared to be owned by skepticist again and I'll try not to lamely give up/quit like I've done before.

Okay, it's been a few hours. I was expecting release today based on that comment, and it's not here yet. No rush, fix the bugs you find, but what's the latest status report?

As soon as an episode is finished and tested it will be released

I assume the testing phase isn't complete yet.

You have to wait a bit longer. I am waiting for 3 things:

statusbar. I am not sure esselfortium really feels like doing it though so I might skip this.

finalizing compat testing.

permission for one midi file (although I kind of have a loosely worded permission already).

Erik said:

Probably only a few hours to release now, just have to make sure that everything is purely limit removing compatible. Already found a few instances of the "max 20 lines per moving sector" limit.

What is that limit tied to exactly?

Does it mean that in Vanilla Doom that a moving plane can only have up to 20 sides?

Vermil said:

What is that limit tied to exactly?

Does it mean that in Vanilla Doom tha a moving plane can only have up to 20 sides?

well, the entire sector can't. Sometimes I merge sectors that move together and then this limit can show its ugly face. Of course it's possible to reach the limit with a single enclosed sector but it's pretty unusual (happened in scythe2 map24 though).

I'm afraid that I'm not understanding as I just made a lowering sector that had more than 20 sides and it worked fine in Vanilla Doom, Doom95 and any port I tried it in.

It doesn't plain fail to work sometimes. I think it has to do with what line special you use. Raise to next floor seems to fail entirely while lowering floors only seem to screw up changing flats sometimes. Someone else can probably elaborate more in depth on this.

That's good news, I wish you luck.

And to cover discussion I have to admit, that:

1) I love evil marines, it's just great when you kill em with two nice shots from supershotgun. Like in deathmatch.

2) Music is very important. I love Bobby Prince Doom's music, I even found and downloaded Sycraft's remakes in mp3 and hear it often. Doom music is one of the key factors of overall Doom coolness, imo.

3) I love slaughterfests. My favorites are one level from Scythe I with LOTS of cybies, revenants, barons, cacos in one room. And levels like 'whispering winds' or last map in full release of Scythe II. I love lots of cybies. I love to provoke monster infighting with cybies. Slaughterfests are great.

Progress report:
MAP11 99% finished.
MAP12 95% finished.

Maps are getting larger and more difficult, both for me to construct and for the player to complete...

MAP12:

Looks great from a structural standpoint. The texturing theme I'm not sure I'm sold on, but I felt the same way about the first screenshot you posted of episode 1 so you'll probably make it work anyway and prove me wrong again. :P

So do you still need a music guy? I've been idle for a while and I think a few MIDI compositions would do me good. It is still MIDI, right...?

If you want to do music, email me and I will send you the current work in progress wad to give you an idea what you are composing for.

I've just finished another midi file. Will work on a few more before sending them to you.

I just had to compile a new beta. Map11 and Map12 do not have music assigned to them as of now.

Erik said:

I just had to compile a new beta. Map11 and Map12 do not have music assigned to them as of now.

Worry about the music when some more maps are finished.

Heh.

I think I can make a good track for MAP11, I'll have to play MAP12 a bit more to get the feel. If you have suggestions on the mood, let me know.

EDIT: I have this habit of starting a song and then it morphs into another song. Hell!