Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Ezxariarch

I need a bug fixer for my maps that doesnt do the following

Im working on a 12-32 DM megawad frum scratch, by my self (so far). ON some of the maps i get these annoying bugs frum the vertexes that does the flowwing.

it kinda like a Hall of mirrors effect wut only seeable at sum angles. The ceiling or floor texture comes slides out of the sector and makes a bit blur on ur screen, like when u fer get to put a bellow or above wall for a ledge. But these are only evident as a certain angle. Lut said i can move the vertex, then save the map, move it bak to the original place, and save it again. But that doesnt seem to fax anything. is there a editor (NO!!! NO WADAUTHOR!!! that things messes up my maps) or node builder that can fix this??

Is the problem you see very thin, only a couple of pixels wide?

Does it commonly happen when viewing structures that use non grid aligned 90 degree corners (like on "round" pillars, rounded corners etc)?

If so, it sounds like you are describing what I think are known as slime trails.

Trying a different node build builder can sometimes fix it, or rearranging the vertices slightly differently.

This is a bug that goes back all the way to the early days. The first one I spotted was on E1M1. If you stand at a certain point and look at the zig zag path across the nukage (facing towards the imps on the platform) you will see this problem.

Im working on a 12-32 DM megawad frum scratch, by my self (so far). ON some of the maps i get these annoying bugs frum the vertexes that does the flowwing.

it kinda like a Hall of mirrors effect wut only seeable at sum angles. The ceiling or floor texture comes slides out of the sector and makes a bit blur on ur screen, like when u fer get to put a bellow or above wall for a ledge. But these are only evident as a certain angle. Lut said i can move the vertex, then save the map, move it bak to the original place, and save it again. But that doesnt seem to fax anything. is there a editor (NO!!! NO WADAUTHOR!!! that things messes up my maps) or node builder that can fix this??

Actually that sounds like unclosed sectors to me.

If you really want a solution you need to post the level.

Assuming you didn't make a basic mistake (like invalid sector assignments), sometimes all you have to do it assign a different sector (around it) and/or change the lighting - strange as that may sound. It's also possible you put a texture where none is normally required - sometimes causes what you describe.

Not knowing how many sides and all that stuff makes it pretty hard to diagnose without seeing the level.

Thanx..yeah its da slime trail thing. I forgot what it was called...so i tried to describe it, except, its not just a few pixels wide, depending on the size of your wall or position of your vertices, it can beeh as large as the ENTIRE wall (line-def)itself. yup, moving the vertex does help...BUT theres two problems. One....i want that part of my map to be roundish (12 sided, fake circle) and if i moved it..IT DOESNT LOOK RIGHT ANYMORE =( I'll try puttin it through BSP see if that helps. yeah i edmit, WinDEU is very old..but its the eaiest to use...in opinion...mine...I can make a map with WinDEU 3 times quicker than i can with Wad author or Deep...just my opinion...

it can beeh as large as the ENTIRE wall (line-def)itself.

Post the level or email it to me. Sounds like a trivial problem if it's the entire wall.

I can make a map with WinDEU 3 times quicker than i can with Wad author or Deep...just my opinion...

Have you actually TRIED or decided it wasn't worth the effort to learn? Windeu is just a tad above DEU/DETH. Lot's of grunt work for the simplest things. Objectively, there's at least 3 times more work - and I'm just sticking to basics there.

Yes, WinDEU is old, but,,my first editor wus deep, than i used WadAuthor after sumone sugested it to me. But i had a hard timr doing the Wall textures with those (Deep is easier). Plus Wadauthor, i dont think u can add Vertecies to Line-defs can u? Well i find WINDEU stiill simple..though i agree the node builder is a little catchy at times..and it crashes and screws the ENTIRE map. OOO!! one more thing, how come when i edit my WinDEU made maps with WadAUTHOTm and safe the changes...the entire mapsis mesed up?? all the ceiling/floor heights gets changed, and all my textures turns to random stuff?

Yes, WinDEU is old, but,,my first editor wus deep

DeeP or DeePsea? There's quite a bit of difference there. Even the latest DeePsea is quite a bit different from the earlier DeeP97/DeePsea.

Plus Wadauthor, i dont think u can add Vertecies to Line-defs can u?

No you can't - well not directly - you work around it by splitting lines and generally mushing up a prefab. Then you are left trying to "join" what won't join unless you have all the stuff split just right.

A common thing to see in WA levels are lines that just float up to a line, but don't actually split it (because it's so time consuming and awkward to do). In DeePsea you just drag a vertex on top of a line and bam, it's split there. Or just start drawing on top of a line and it automatically splits. I think even WinDEU does that.

It actually amazes me that people put all that effort into breaking up the prefabs to force it into what they really wanted in the first place. Almost as much work as WinDEU:)

Can't agree with you that WinDEU is simple - you have learned how to do it:) Making dot-to-dot and then having to go through all those gyrations is a lot of work.

And yes the node builder is suckie. Slow and it has a few old bugs that were never fixed and most likely will never be.

I have no idea about your sector heights with WA. Many people makes lots of levels (some pretty large) with WA. They get along just fine.

I've seen a few posts about sectors getting messed up - could be. I'm the wrong guy to ask. The only way to really prove such a statement is to send a level that you claim gets screwed up by WA. Easy enough to do eh?

Guess I'll answer those few WadAuthor questions in case it will help anyone. One, adding vertices to lines? Almost as simple as with DeePsea. Simply click on the line to select it and hit the "x" key. It splits the line, adding a vertex. Yes, you then may have to drag and drop the vertex to exactly where you want it.
Two, messing sectors up. Yes, that is the single bug I have found with WadAuthor, and it appears to be caused occasionally by wiping a sector out of existence by only deleting its lines. And, that is only in certain situations which I cannot specify. Usually it does not happen, regardless of what you do. Once it does happen, you'll have to go back to the backup file or other recent save, and take a slightly different approach.

HEY!!! No more problems for me!! BSP fixed everything for me. The "slime trail" i was mentioning earlier...i think its actually called a "Visplane overflow" or sumthin. But i'm stickin with WinDEU, no one is gonna change my mind..unless im making Advanced levels (scripting, 3d floors, etc) i'm stickin to the DEU.

Hey i've been thinkin on which Dm maps to take my inspiration from...so y dont ppls vote which of the following DM maps are the best..

1) Original Doom
2) Doom II
3) Adelusion's Gothic series (my favorite ^_^)
4) Team TNT's DM maps
5) Skulltag DM maps
6) Decamatch (rather bad if u ask me)
7) The Darkening series
8) *other sugestions*

The "slime trail" i was mentioning earlier...i think its actually called a "Visplane overflow" or sumthin

Ehrm, yeah :P

Well, if you're gonna use deu, i suggest you use zeth for scripting and stuff (for zdoom), because zeth is very similar to deu...

And by the way, the 'screwing up' happens when there is a vertex somewhere in the level without any linedefs attatched to it. The level only gets stuffed when you build the nodes, so most of the time, you can load the backup of the level (that deu creates) and find the stray vertex(es) and delete it.