Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Abyssalstudios1

FINISHED I need ten badass game monsters

NOTE: I got some info, both on people's thoughts on... when I don't play games, and on what I actually needed. Thanks for everything, and I'm done with this thread.

I'm trying to compile a list of the top ten badass video game monsters. The only problem is, I'm not that much of a gamer. I mean, I love video games, but I just don't own too many. The only modern FPS I own is Bioshock, and my other modern games are RTS games. Old-school games include Doom, Wolfenstein, Duke Nukem, and Netstorm.

So I need you people to give me ten (more or less; this isn't an exact requirement) video game enemies that were so cool, you will never forget them.

Wait... why do you need this list? I'm not sure if I can give you 10, but there is one that stands out, which is the Arch-vile.

as weird as it sounds... syrins in baldur's gate. your low-level characters had save throws made of poo and syrins just charmed half of your party on sight and you spent a few minutes running around the map, chased by your own warrior chars.

also, pyramid head. just put him on all first ten places and say other monsters start ranking at #11.

The oblivion knight from Diablo 2.

This these guys are nasty, especially in hell difficulty. If you're a melee class (paladin, barbarian), one swing at the wrong time could mean instant death. Why? Iron maiden. This curse take all of your physical melee damage and returns it back at the player, and throws in about 4x more just for laughs. For barbarians it's even worse. Once you start a whirlwind, you can't stop it until it's finished, and if you get hit with iron maiden in the middle of it, you die and you die quick. Most of the other curses aren't very bad, although amplify damage can be trouble sometimes. However, you never know which one they'll launch at you, and they can cast them while they're still off-screen, so you'll have to be real careful the moment you step into the Chaos Sanctuary all the way until you reach Diablo. Thankfully, all of the oblivion knights and other monsters are dead at that point.

And if that wasn't bad enough, in act 5 nightmare and hell difficulties, random monsters are spawned instead of the usual ones, and that includes oblivion knights. If you're about to face Baal and you see oblivion knights, you're in for a world of hurt. Oh, and let's not forget about the greater mummies that Baal summons that can revive other undead monsters...and yes, that includes oblivion knights.

The Quake Fiend deserves a mention. The first time we watched in awe how two completely 3D for real cubes floated through the air into the switch sockets only to be mauled by some pink blur coming out of those doors leaves a hefty impression on you.

These lists are always just thinly-veiled dicksuckery for the author's favorite games. If you seek outside advice and pay attention to popular opinion then you're doing it wrong.

Anyways, the Hammer haunts in Thief are pretty bad-ass. They're already at the top of some list somewhere.

Ichor said:

The oblivion knight from Diablo 2.

I agree, out of all monsters that throw some random curse, these guys are worst, actually makes Baal look bad on damaging the player when Oblivion Knights can "one hit" you (Cursed with I.M).
But if you want the worse of it, have a Unique Oblivion Knight enchanted with Thorns and casts Iron Maiden, either way, you die.

For a badass monster... I say it has to be the Ultralisk from StarCraft, especially fully upgraded on Brood War. One against just 12 marines with out Stimpack upgrade would get wasted and even with it same result, but atleast with a medic, only two would probably die.

Or worse yet, an oblivion knight with the conviction aura and a few gloams around. I have seen more people die from gloams than just about any other monster (exploding undead fetishes and oblivion knights come close), but full lightning resistance and maybe some absorption in hell isn't that hard to come by. However, all that's thrown out the window when a conviction aura lowers your resistance into the negatives.

gloams (mana draining) + conviction aura - berserk attack (no mana) + iron maiden spell = much suffering

Shouldn't he who compiles a list of something be an authority on the topic? What's the point otherwise, to have a list of other people's opinions? If so I'm sure you could find many identical lists with a Google search.

ok i've made your list!!! Check it twice, its the best list ever

10. Cheesire cat from Alice!
9. mithril dragon from runescape
8. Hell Knite from Doom 3
7. mattel sonic from soniccd
6. protoss zelot from starcaft
5. shadow from KINGDOM HEART
4. ELites from Halo!!
3. NIGHTMARE from SOL CALIBOR 2
2. Locutsts from gear of war
1. lucario from pokmon is the winner of badass game moster list. when you watch him on youtube dont forget the linkin park. calling him a 'pokey man' is an understadement he is god

I'll say one by game.

Wolfenstein 3d: pacman ghost (invulnerable, spooky, powerful)
Blake Stone: STAR trooper (obscenely hard to kill, damaging and even FEIGNING DEATH)
Doom: cyberdemon (exceptionally aggresive and fast)
Doom 2: archvile (only one who can resurrect and different style)
Warcraft 2: the ogre mage (the ability to remotely kill many stuff with your army soldiers is extreme. The humans are limited against "undead"; the orcs not (but need more caution, sure))
Quake: shambler (more aggresive than normal) or chthon (only one who can follow your move!)
Quake 2: parasite (all the others are regular)
Doom 3: hell knight (one or two-hitter)
Starcraft Broodwar: The Dark Archon (come on: instant kill for ability-holders for ONLY 50 energy (others need 150); paralyze GROUPS of living beings for 100 energy (the ghost has against ONLY ONE machine); instant unit and technology CLAIM for 150 energy ANY enemy creature (the zerg queen is limited against living, and only crap come out of that)).

Bank said:

Shouldn't he who compiles a list of something be an authority on the topic? What's the point otherwise, to have a list of other people's opinions? If so I'm sure you could find many identical lists with a Google search.

Only out of touch people are allowed to have a voice in the mainstream. And people who are actually informed and have a respectable interest are usually too busy to make money bullshitting.

Zaldron said:

The Quake Fiend deserves a mention. The first time we watched in awe how two completely 3D for real cubes floated through the air into the switch sockets only to be mauled by some pink blur coming out of those doors leaves a hefty impression on you.

Yes! That's the only one that really came to mind. That thing scared the crap out of me.

The Fiendd is definitely badass, I would also say that the Shambler, Archvile and Doom 3 Hellknight are all highly badass and deserve to be on the list too, as some people have already mentioned

Creaphis said:

These lists are always just thinly-veiled dicksuckery for the author's favorite games.

I'm not sure if you're just being contrary on purpose, but I did specifically mention that I don't play many games, and that I'm asking for monsters for this very reason .

Heh, the reason I'm asking in the first place is rather... odd. I'm actually very much into making little slideshows for myself. I'm also very big on compiling lists of ideas and such. And, frankly, I do enjoy the odd bit of writing now and then (I'm buckling down to write a novel now). If I can get ahold of what people believe to be awesome monsters, then I have more feedback on what people like to see/fight.

Abyssalstudios1 said:

I'm not sure if you're just being contrary on purpose, but I did specifically mention that I don't play many games, and that I'm asking for monsters for this very reason .

What I'm saying is what other people here are saying: there's no point in compiling a list of badass monsters if you don't play many games. I state that the people who do make these lists do so because they play a lot of games and want to dish out praise for their pre-chosen favourites. I sarcastically imply that these lists have little to no literary merit, and that, as they are necessarily subjective, there is also no point in compiling a list of badass monsters even if you do play a lot of games. There you go. Interpreting my posts takes some practice but you'll learn.

Abyssalstudios1 said:

Heh, the reason I'm asking in the first place is rather... odd. I'm actually very much into making little slideshows for myself. I'm also very big on compiling lists of ideas and such. And, frankly, I do enjoy the odd bit of writing now and then (I'm buckling down to write a novel now). If I can get ahold of what people believe to be awesome monsters, then I have more feedback on what people like to see/fight.

That is odd. Let me warn you now that designing a piece of art around what you think a certain audience will like is a good way to make works that are acceptable but bland. You want to invent a monster for your writing that will strike fear into the hearts of men? You want to create a monster that is truly awesome? Here's how. First, look at all of the monsters on your list. Then, imagine a monster that is completely different from all of them, yet still strikes you as being terrifying. That is a badass monster.

Visplane Overflow said:

If you don't play a lot of video games, you have no right to pen this list.

Let's explore that statement a little further, shall we?

The basic idea is that I don't own these games, so I need the list for my own personal reasons.

Now, this is the entire reason that I'm asking you people, rather than going into my imaginary and enormous game collection and getting it all for myself. I need other peoples' opinions. Simply the fact that I haven't gone and spent hundreds of dollars on (or risked a load of jail time by torrenting) games shouldn't mean that other peoples' opinions is some kind of secret information. Your idea of 'rights' seems to be flawed, at best. What exactly do you mean, "I have no right"? Do you mean that I'm a game-illiterate moron, around whom gaming knowledge should be kept hidden? Or do you mean that I'm prodding in other people's business when I really should just stick to my own opinion? I am completely at a loss as to what you mean.

But your statement could be expanded to mean other things as well. Suppose I'm, say, a movie reviewer. As you know, movie critics typically get to see a movie before the general public, so they can write their reviews with enough time, and advise people on their opinions. But what if Roger Eberts (for example) declared that no one should know his opinion on the movie, because they never paid for a ticket.

Frankly, that is the most ridiculous thing I've read/heard all week, and that's saying a lot.

Abyssalstudios1 said:

(or risked a load of jail time by torrenting)

lol

Creaphis said:

You want to invent a monster for your writing that will strike fear into the hearts of men?

i'm staying with the syrins from bg. they're women (and that's not all), they enchant your friends, send them against you and when you're done with each other, or the friends see through their mistake, they finish off the wounded survivors. or enchant them with their womanly viles AGAIN. the bitches can even steal your girlfriends, how sick is that. you might also learn a thing or two about yourself after 10 consecutive successful saving throws.

Abyssalstudios1 said:

Let's explore that statement a little further, shall we?

The basic idea is that I don't own these games, so I need the list for my own personal reasons.

Now, this is the entire reason that I'm asking you people, rather than going into my imaginary and enormous game collection and getting it all for myself. I need other peoples' opinions. Simply the fact that I haven't gone and spent hundreds of dollars on (or risked a load of jail time by torrenting) games shouldn't mean that other peoples' opinions is some kind of secret information. Your idea of 'rights' seems to be flawed, at best. What exactly do you mean, "I have no right"? Do you mean that I'm a game-illiterate moron, around whom gaming knowledge should be kept hidden? Or do you mean that I'm prodding in other people's business when I really should just stick to my own opinion? I am completely at a loss as to what you mean.

But your statement could be expanded to mean other things as well. Suppose I'm, say, a movie reviewer. As you know, movie critics typically get to see a movie before the general public, so they can write their reviews with enough time, and advise people on their opinions. But what if Roger Eberts (for example) declared that no one should know his opinion on the movie, because they never paid for a ticket.

Frankly, that is the most ridiculous thing I've read/heard all week, and that's saying a lot.

Sorry, but Visplane Overflow actually wrote our National Constitution of Doomworld and its Bill of Rights.

Google image "screenshot"

Pick 10 at random

Half-arsedly research the game they come from by reading the back of a box in a shop. Or wikipedia

Write about them.

Oh if this is for a gaming website make sure 9 of them are from games released within the last 3 years.

Ah here we go again with that freaking Lucario thing. Look, that was a pretty gay thread but I'm over it now so lets just forget it ever happened, okay??