Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NaturalTvventy

Can't make my wad run on PRBoom

Hey gang, 10 years ago I built DOOM levels, and now I'm back trying to fix up an old level. I've forgotten just about everything though. I've been using a version of DEU for the BOOM engine. The problem is, my level runs fine on ZDoom, but it crashes whenever I try to run it on BRBoom. I get this error

I_SignalHandler: Exiting on signal: signal 11

I also see that it repeatedly says

P_LoadSegs: front of seg **** has no sidedef

(where **** are various assortments of numbers)

I thought it might have something to do with the nodebuilder in ZDoom being incompatible with PRBoom, so I tried using the nodebuilder BSP 3.0, but this didn't work. It still crashed with the same errors.

I'd just make it a ZDoom-only level, but unfortunately it requires a trick that only works with boom.

What am I doing wrong? Please help this total newb out!

Thanks, NT

I don't have much advice for you since I'm not a mapper, but as far as I know ZDoom is 100% Boom compatible. What is this trick you are trying to do that wont work in zdoom but will in boom?

you can not do this trick in zdoom, use doom2 engine or other engine who have this trick (in original doom its bug but some levedesigner use it).
only zdoom (and Gzdoom) correctly understand zdoom foramat.

Am I at least right that it's zdbmp that's messing up my map? I mean, I use a Boom version of DETH so it can't be that, which leads me to the logical conclusion that it has to be the node builder. If so, is there any way to fix it? As mentioned I tried using a different node builder and that didn't work.

NT

I suspect a problem in the map that makes some ports choke on it and others not. If you get the same result with 2 different node builders the problem must be elsewhere.

Mike.Reiner said:

as far as I know ZDoom is 100% Boom compatible

It's not, ZDoom is a separate port which mimics the Boom editing specs. At least a couple of Boom engine behaviours have not been carried over into the ZDoom code, and likewise some things which break Boom (even though they shouldn't) will not break in ZDoom.

It's not a bad thing, just something to be aware of.

Mike.Reiner said:

I don't have much advice for you since I'm not a mapper, but as far as I know ZDoom is 100% Boom compatible...

Haha, no. As latest progress has been made on a secret..thingy, I can assure you zdoom is far from that.

Great, now my latest map for Sunder.wad is giving me the same error.

My only guess as to what might be causing it, is the large amount of crushers in my map, and that it is somehow sound related.

Help :(

Edit: Okay, this is getting strange. I gave a copy to gggmork, and he could get it running in Pr-Boom without any trouble.

NaturalTvventy said:

Anyone willing to take a look at the map and see if they can figure it out?

Post a download link in the thread, someone's curiosity is bound to get the better of them.

I'm so close to writing some kind of map grinder utility that will look for anything wrong with a map or the wad that it's in :P

I_SignalHandler: Exiting on signal: signal 11

I'm getting this error a lot lately on PRBoom+, using ZDBSP to build nodes. Switching to another nodebuilder fixes the problem... Switching to another nodebuilder *and then* switching back to ZDBSP also fixes it, strangely.

Phml said:

I'm getting this error a lot lately on PRBoom+, using ZDBSP to build nodes. Switching to another nodebuilder fixes the problem... Switching to another nodebuilder *and then* switching back to ZDBSP also fixes it, strangely.

hmm, which node builder do you use? when I tried switching node builders it didn't work.

NT

I'm usually using ZDBSP, and I switch to glBSP (then back to ZDBSP) when I'm having the error.

Note I don't know anything about computers beyond turning it on, so it could be completely unrelated, but it worked for me.

Opening the map in Doom Builder removes a handful of unused sectors.

The "Find Map Errors" function says Sector 193 is not closed (screenshot)

I think you need to flip your front/back side sector assignments on Linedef 1198 (screenshot).

I did this and a nodebuild worked fine in ZenNode, though still failed in ZDBSP.

What ZDBSP? The latest versions work fine. Please don't tell me you still use 1.8 which I think comes with DB1. That version is rather buggy and likes to crash occasionally.

Mike.Reiner said:

I don't have much advice for you since I'm not a mapper, but as far as I know ZDoom is 100% Boom compatible.

More like 98%. There are a few Boom features that don't work at all, or don't work the same way; though they're obscure enough not to be used in practically any Boom mod you might find.

Graf Zahl said:

What ZDBSP? The latest versions work fine. Please don't tell me you still use 1.8 which I think comes with DB1. That version is rather buggy and likes to crash occasionally.

No, I'm using ZDBSP 1.13.

Nodes build with ZenNode (whatever version comes with DB1) and the map starts in PrBoom.

I wanted to wait until your problem was solved before I went and hijacked your thread. Someone once told me what the most likely cause for a wad not to run in prBoom when you get the error: "R_TextureNumForName: SKY3 not found" but I forget what it was and how to fix it. If it's any help, my wad does use custom textures. Could some one shed some light?

I guess something about how the TEXTURE1 or PNAMES lump looks for the SKY3 patch?

Have a look through your TEXTURE lump and make sure there's not two entries for SKY3 (the original and your version), if so then delete the original and leave yours there.

You do this in XWE by selecting TEXTURE1, looking through the list on the right for SKY3 (probably the first one that's between SKY2 and SLADPOIS), click that then hit Alt+Del.

Insane_Gazebo said:

Open the WAD in XWE, you have about a million BLOCKMAP, LINEDEF, THINGS, etc lumps, probably all old versions except for the ones at the bottom after the MAP08 marker.

Also, none of your textures are between PP_START and PP_END markers, one of the WOODMID textures even thinks it's a map.

Edit: Also I believe GFX lumps should be outside of PP markers. I made a fixed version which nodebuilds and runs fine. If you have no luck, let me know and I'll upload it.

Super Jamie said:

Open the WAD in XWE, you have about a million BLOCKMAP, LINEDEF, THINGS, etc lumps, probably all old versions except for the ones at the bottom after the MAP08 marker.

Also, none of your textures are between PP_START and PP_END markers, one of the WOODMID textures even thinks it's a map.

Edit: Also I believe GFX lumps should be outside of PP markers. I made a fixed version which nodebuilds and runs fine. If you have no luck, let me know and I'll upload it.

Haha, whoops. When I went to delete all the extra maps that were originally in my .wad, I forgot to delete all their BLOCKMAP's, and so on - I just deleted the map entries in XWE ><

http://www.sendspace.com/file/abluw7

Try this!

All the other stuff is still messed up. This is my fix of your first file, it nodebuilds and runs in PrBoom: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=OYEU8O31

Open it in XWE. Notice all music is together, all textures are between PP_START and PP_END, all GFX are together outside of that.

I'm not sure if your textures and floors need to come before or after TEXTURE1 and PNAMES or maybe that doesn't matter? No doubt someone else knows.

Super Jamie said:

I'm not sure if your textures and floors need to come before or after TEXTURE1 and PNAMES or maybe that doesn't matter? No doubt someone else knows.

It doesn't matter. Neither do P_START and P_END.

Super Jamie said:

All the other stuff is still messed up. This is my fix of your first file, it nodebuilds and runs in PrBoom: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=OYEU8O31

Open it in XWE. Notice all music is together, all textures are between PP_START and PP_END, all GFX are together outside of that.

Aaah! Thanks so much. Just learnt a lot about organising custom resources inside my wad :)

The funny thing is, there was nine other maps that were in that wad originally. None of them had any issues with the messy order of my patches, floors and so on. Only Map08 had problems. Weird.

Anyhow, after much swearing at XWE to stop crashing, everything is fixed.