Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RedComa

Who still loves singleplayer???

I am in violent agreement with most people here -- SP rules, anything made after 2001 is crap, etc.

I will say, however, that the original Doom/DoomII levels are starting to show their age. While modern FPS' don't touch the gameplay, I do feel like my expectations have been skewed towards a little more visual realism than Doom provides, particularly when it comes to texturing -- honestly, if you go back and play E2 or E3, the texturing often makes very little sense (disparate walls joining without a divider, weird wall/flat combos, or just plain strange). However, as many have noted, the plethora of user .WADs more than make up for the originals.

Finally, in terms of other games: again, they are old school, but Duke and Shadow Warrior are pretty entertaining (SW especially). Quake IV was fun but there definitely not constant hordes of monsters, and Halo is a blast but often stupidly frustrating (for me -- I think those f-ing elites are just too good). If there were a Halo mod that would beef up your shield but drastically reduce the recharge time/rate (so your health works more like Doom) I think it could be very fun.

I'm an SP Doomer because I enjoy the exploration and puzzle aspects of the game as well as the monster-fragging. Deathmatch is way too hectic for me, the opponents zip past as if they're on steroids, I rarely get to see them before I'm pasted all over a wall by a rocket. I guess practice would make perfect but I've never felt the inclination to get good at DM simply because I enjoy SP so much.

I started playing Doom in 1994, then after a couple of years moved on to other games. Last year I bought all the iwads again and now I feel as if I've come home! I'm really enjoying the Doom experience using source ports for the first time, GZDoom in particular. And what a wealth of new and brilliant wads to play, all those megawads I missed between 1997 and 2008!

I just got so fed up buying new games and finding I needed some new superfast graphics card to play them halfway decently. And, as has been mentioned a few times, the modern games writers are so obsessed with using all the bells and whistles that their ultra fast machines can provide in the quest for 'reality' that they've forgotten most people don't want reality - they want a good game.

Having said all that though I do wish I had a computer with the chops to play Rage when it hits the stores, that one could be good!

FEAR is a good run'n gun game. It's super linear, and the Slo-Mo makes it far too easy, but it's some of the best fun I've had with an FPS in a while.

You know, now that I think about it, when it comes to a rousing single-player first-person experience these days, I guess the fun can be found in the games that have borrowed from the role-playing genre. Games like BioShock and Fallout 3 were just so rich in storyline, atmosphere, not to mention the satisfying reward that you SHOULD experience whist playing this sort of game which is seeing the game world react to your actions, and of course splattering the everloving crap out of the enemies.

I LOVED playing though BioShock, running around an area, finding an obstacle, figuring out how to overcome it, and shred any splicers that get in my way. Plus, games like these have a great premise, which is that "What happened here?" feel which is just so cool, to explore a world where shit has already went down, and you get to wade through the carnage. Whether it be seeing all the gore decorations in DOOM, or exploring the doctor's office in BioShock. It makes the game world that much more tangible.

Patrick said:

FEAR is a good run'n gun game. It's super linear, and the Slo-Mo makes it far too easy, but it's some of the best fun I've had with an FPS in a while.

It is one of my favorites. Yeah, I think the slo-mo meter should have been much shorter (even after getting the boosters) so it would only be used to give you an edge in a tight spot, rather than being used constantly during fights. Playing the game without using it is a whole different experience. With or without slo-mo, the gun-fights in this game are brutal and awesome.

aldiboronti said:

I'm an SP Doomer because I enjoy the exploration and puzzle aspects of the game as well as the monster-fragging. Deathmatch is way too hectic for me, the opponents zip past as if they're on steroids, I rarely get to see them before I'm pasted all over a wall by a rocket. I guess practice would make perfect but I've never felt the inclination to get good at DM simply because I enjoy SP so much.

This.

Always have and always will, as have 95% of the games I purchase are single player.

Modding is a BIG reason I play single player games, especially those with strong communities such as Doom, Half-Life and Unreal series games.

Hmm, well, few games these days have the same qualities that made doom great. If you're looking for games with a similar feel, try Serious Sam and Half-Life. The originals are better than the sequels, so look for the first releases of these games (and their expansions).

I still play singleplayer... Seems like I'm always finding new WADs to try. Like recently I just finished Requiem and now I'm moving through Eternal Doom 4 and Hell Revealed 2.

Mr. Chris said:

Always have and always will, as have 95% of the games I purchase are single player.

Modding is a BIG reason I play single player games, especially those with strong communities such as Doom, Half-Life and Unreal series games.

This post covers everything I was going to say.

Breadrobber said:

If you're looking for games with a similar feel, try Serious Sam and Half-Life.

...what? Neither of those is anywhere near Doom.

I love doom for pretty much all the same reasons already mentioned, but I also love things about modern games.

Reloading, slower pace, stealth, things like that. Doom is just run and gun mayhem that doesn't have time to dick around that stuff.

I loved the first Halo on PC for the AI and a couple of the levels.. it's a shame most of it was copy and paste bullcrap.

And yes, Patrick, painkiller is awesome. I picked up the Triple Dose some time ago. The original and Hell Wars are good, but Overdose was pretty mediocre.

Lately? I've been playing games like System Shock 2, Thief: Gold, Thief: The Metal Age, Crysis, Crysis Warhead, BioShock, and now I'm thinking about getting Deus Ex, since I've never played it before.

Oh yes, and Single player is the way I go. Co-op occasionally, maybe death match on lan, but mostly single.

I've played on a couple select skulltag servers for a while, but now it's mostly SP for me.

I can honestly say I enjoy modern fps games though, then again I have a top of the line computer that runs crysis at 50fps on high. (quad core processor, nvidia geforce gtx 950)