Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
printz

Do you infight in coop mode?

If a coop buddy has shot you by accident, do you return fire on the poor sucker who did this mistake, to give him discipline? Do you continue firing until he's dead, so that his less than adequate aim is no longer around? Are you sure you're better than the monsters? I think their behaviour is human and normal.

So do you return fire when hit by a coop teammate?

Hell yeah I do. Whenever me and my friends coop, it gets vicious. We'll blast each other off of powerups, break out into deathmatches, and even fight over the exit switch (yes).

It's great.

I don't fight back unless I know they mean to kill me, otherwise I'll consider it a mistake. Sometimes if we are bored on a level my friends and I will do what Krispavera said. One of the things I dislike is when people join coop games to do nothing but kill the other players.

No. On the contrary, we try to avoid doing it by accident. That is actually one of the elements that makes cooperative unique; how to hurt the monsters without hurting your buddies. You can have that element in team deathmatch as long as you don't disable friendly fire damage, as well. We play a good deal of deathmatch too, so there's no need to hinder coop with infighting, which is often deadly enough as it is, in some of the levels we choose.

In public servers, where friendly fire damage is disabled, I only occasionally do stuff, like pushing them off with an attack or making them swallow their rockets, to people who are being dicks.

I don't see the point in when my buddy accidentally shoots me, giving him a reason to hog all the stimpacks in the map.

well usually team damage is turned off on skulltag servers so i dont need to worry. if teamdamage is on and someone hurts me, first i call it a mistake. then if they keep on doing it, i know they are doing it on purpose and retaliate.

sometimes the monsters seem to tolerate a few shots before infighting in the same way...

It takes two to tango. getting hit by your team mate could be because they are a lousy shot or it could be because you were dumb enough to walk in front of them when they were fighting.

But, anyway, if it's a "serious" coop game then no, no retaliation. otherwise, yeah, sometimes and I even recognise the scenarios of deathmatches breaking out during play like Krispavera described.

I think what I find more frustrating than getting hit or the damage that it does to me, is what it may do to my physical location - like possibly getting knocked off a ledge, or through a door into a fight or something. Worst is something that gets me killed rather than just killing me directly. eg, a shotgun blast in the back pushing me into the path of an enemy that I would otherwise avoid and he kills me. Don't know why it frustrates me, but it does.

I was vicious when I used to play coop with friends over LAN. If I got shot, I would spin around and waste the guy. The next five minutes would be nothing but a deathmatch. LAN play was so much fun.

Ultraboy94 said:

well usually team damage is turned off on skulltag servers so i dont need to worry. if teamdamage is on and someone hurts me, first i call it a mistake. then if they keep on doing it, i know they are doing it on purpose and retaliate.

sometimes the monsters seem to tolerate a few shots before infighting in the same way...

This. Also I've noticed that about monsters. I think it has something to do with 'aggression'. Whichever entity is doing more damage, the monster will attack it.

myk said:

No. On the contrary, we try to avoid doing it by accident. That is actually one of the elements that makes cooperative unique; how to hurt the monsters without hurting your buddies. You can have that element in team deathmatch as long as you don't disable friendly fire damage, as well. We play a good deal of deathmatch too, so there's no need to hinder coop with infighting, which is often deadly enough as it is, in some of the levels we choose.

What Myk said.

HOWEVER...

Back in the days when me and my friend and our brothers would have Serial cable parties. We would play coop. Me and my friend would go through the maps most methodically sharing health and ammo brotherly and all that. A lot of status reports back and forth.
When me and my brother played though, he was not always as careful and it wasn't unheard of that he shot me in the ass with a powerful weapon killing me.
This usually erupted into me screaming to him about his failure. And when I came back and finally had stocked my shit up again, it wasn't entirely uncommon that he would shoot me again, this time deliberately. Whereupon I would scream again, asking him wtf he thinks he's doing. And then he'd whimper. "-I thought you were gonna shoot ME!" This is where the game would usually end up in a little DM for a bit until we both cooled off. And then we'd carry on.
And I'd complain about his lack of sharing of powerups and shit if he just ran in and snatched all the good shit while I was holding up so we could do the brotherly sharing of the resources. :p

We had a lot of fun back in those days.. We still do whenever we get the FPS drama on. However, these days it's he who does all the screaming while I own his ass in HL DM. :D

myk said:

In public servers, where friendly fire damage is disabled, I only occasionally do stuff, like pushing them off with an attack or making them swallow their rockets, to people who are being dicks.

Very true. One guy in zDaemon was insistent that he was the one to get the kills, even though we had plasma weapons and he had a regular Shotgun. We ended up shooting him into a mass of Revenants and closing the door.

My brother and I usually play with friendly fire switched off (ZDoom), and when we get pissed at each other, we spend long periods repeatedly punching each other.

Nomad said:

This. Also I've noticed that about monsters. I think it has something to do with 'aggression'. Whichever entity is doing more damage, the monster will attack it.

Close, I seem to notice monsters focusing the first target that deals damage to them, unless another monster is doing a considerably larger amount of damage to it. This is at least what I've observed. I've seen a cacodemon take a hit from a shotgun guy and continued trying to waste him while a revenant was clearly tackling it from behind.

They may switch targets when a countdown timer controlled by A_Chase goes to 0. It's set to a value (probably 100) when an interfering target is acquired.

If someone kills me, I leave, but I try to only play with friendly-fire off. Sometimes, I blast someone with the SSG to get them out of my way.

ughhh I hate that. especially in AV styled wads where all the monsters are in closets and your buddy launches you right into an ambush trap. I wanna strangle them for that.