Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Khorus

Base Ganymede: E1 released

Well I see a SUPPORT3 in the second shot of the third map so it's not ALL METAL :P Nice shots and layout, got a grungier classic look imo.

I would love to see a custom sky that looks like it could be Ganymede, eg starry sky with Jupiter looming somewhere above.

I like the look of this. Cool name too.

I gotta agree with Snarboo. The right sky texture would just set the mood for the levels really well. Especially as (I guess) that Ganymede wouldn't have the same look as Phobos or Deimos.

Well, got a new sky in thanks to kristus and dsm.

E1M5 (yay got screens in chocolate working)

E1M5's nearly finished. Could do with a few testers soon though to have a run through the maps.

That sky is awesome. Exactly what I was thinking when you said this was on Ganymede. :D

I'm really looking forward to this.

Snarboo & Kyka: Thanks. :)

E1M5 is now finished and OP updated with screens. Took abit longer to make this one, but really happy with how it turned out.

E1M6 is finished and some screens in OP. This map came together pretty quickly. Really pushes the vanilla limits in some places too.

The plan sofar is to release it episode by episode so I can walk away from it for abit and get feedback etc.

EDIT: hm, I should probably re-take screenshots of the first few maps.

Thanks. :)

E1M7 is finished. Just one more map to go, more testing and then E1 can be thrown out the door.

Oh I really like how you use so many "non-straight" or unsymmetrical (or what to call it) lines. What I mean is, they dont follow the grids! I just cant get myself to do that :( (ok sometimes, but you know what I mean)

Gonna check this out. Looong time since I played Doom 1

E1M8 is now finished. Just gotta test it all some more and I can get E1 out there. :)

No screens though, wouldn't want to ruin it.

Oooh, very nice maps, for sure!

But I must ask, is there something you're not showing us in E1M3? It looks like you censored something in that pic (look at that pixilated bit)!

All joking aside, as someone who's slowly working on at least an E1 replacement himself, this project definitely piqued my interest.

Are you implementing difficulties? How hard are you aiming at making it on UV? I find it's challenging to make a faithful E1-style map very tough due to the limitations of monsters beyond throwing an assload of them at the player from multiple directions or making them fight multiple Barons in a tight space with no/limited rockets.

-_DLD_- said:

Oooh, very nice maps, for sure!

But I must ask, is there something you're not showing us in E1M3? It looks like you censored something in that pic (look at that pixilated bit)!

Heh, I was contemplating retaking all the shots in choco and with the new sky. But I can't be bothered.

Are you implementing difficulties? How hard are you aiming at making it on UV? I find it's challenging to make a faithful E1-style map very tough due to the limitations of monsters beyond throwing an assload of them at the player from multiple directions or making them fight multiple Barons in a tight space with no/limited rockets.

Yeah I've got difficulties in. I tend to balance those by giving more health and ammo or an invis sphere now and then to the lower skills rather than take away monsters. Nubs like to shoot things too. :P

Well. I'm not recreating anything with this, but I try to balance it around close ammo/health so the player has to be a little careful (later levels the shotgun has plenty of ammo as the backup weapon though). Which is what I'd do if I was to do E1 style stuff aswell. I also use alot of lost souls as they add alot of dynamic to the fights.

At first I was honestly expecting another e1 look-alike. However, these look like classic style maps with personality. Weird way to describe it I know, but the point is I am looking forward to this.

E1 is uploaded. So someone who gives a shit about vanilla, go review it!

lupinx-Kassman said:

At first I was honestly expecting another e1 look-alike. However, these look like classic style maps with personality. Weird way to describe it I know, but the point is I am looking forward to this.

personality > good looks

Ive played maps in the first episode from pistol start and ive gotta say I really liked it. I liked how you considerably upped the difficulty from the original game and the later hellish influenced maps were good too. I do have some gameplay gripes, the Spider Mastermind in E1M5 is a bit harsh considering you have no cover whatsoever and its pretty early in the megawad. I also got a little low on ammo against the spidermastermind in E1M7 at the exit and had to use my chaingun to kill it which is a bit overdone. I suggest giving some more cells by the switch or some rockets (I had 60 cells and 200 bullets left). I also hated map E1M8, felt like a gimmick map thrown in at the last second. A bit of a letdown for the finale of an episode. I also would of liked new music, the old doom music bores me to tears. Altogether i rated it a 4/5.

UnholyMessias said:

Ive played maps in the first episode from pistol start and ive gotta say I really liked it. I liked how you considerably upped the difficulty from the original game and the later hellish influenced maps were good too. I do have some gameplay gripes, the Spider Mastermind in E1M5 is a bit harsh considering you have no cover whatsoever and its pretty early in the megawad. I also got a little low on ammo against the spidermastermind in E1M7 at the exit and had to use my chaingun to kill it which is a bit overdone. I suggest giving some more cells by the switch or some rockets (I had 60 cells and 200 bullets left). I also hated map E1M8, felt like a gimmick map thrown in at the last second. A bit of a letdown for the finale of an episode. I also would of liked new music, the old doom music bores me to tears. Altogether i rated it a 4/5.

Thanks. :)

E1M5 spider, there is cover on the left of the stairs where you get the rad suit. I also tend to not care for such progression in maps, I wouldn't be against using cybs and masterminds in e2m1. :p

E1M7 spider, there is another way to kill that spider with much less ammo expenditure.

Heh, I knew E1M8 would have strongly divided opinions. I wanted a very different boss fight. I'd already used the 3 "bosses" frequently, so to just use them as a normal fight again didn't really interest me. It's a little difficult being experimental with vanilla gameplay (and limits, I wish the map could be much larger really. But I already had to cut it back).

EDIT: It's also great that you played with pistol start. E1M5 loses what makes it my favourite map of mine when it's played in continuation.

These are very well-made levels. I liked how there were several spider masterminds. I'm glad he got plenty of face time, especially in a plain Doom wad where the "final boss" position is usually reserved for him and he is nowhere else to be seen.

Thanks Khorus & co for very enjoyable mapset! Overall mapping style is great (especially m3 & m5), new sky is amazing and testing job is solid.

Here is my pack of first attempt demos. Some (but very scanty) comments may be found inside archive.
Quickstat:

| total | deaths
--------------------
m1 |  5:25 |   0
m2 |  9:19 |   0
m3 | 20:09 |   0
m4 | 12:12 |   0
m5 | 52:25 |   2
m6 | 22:50 |   1
m7 | 13:16 |   0
m8 |  3:45 |   9