Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Insane_Gazebo

The endless Lava/Water field effect.

I'm sure you've seen it - maps set in giant 'oceans' of water, lava, or blood.

I'm currently making my own and have been struggling to recall some example maps that have done this.

Now, I'm using what is probably the most basic method - A very large sector with a much smaller outer one with its ceiling height almost touching the bottom of the larger one, with no upper texture, and a sky texture set for its ceiling. (I'm sure most of you know the trick I'm talking about.)

My question is, how big can I make this sector before I run into problems, and is there a better way to achieve this effect over a vast distance?

Or would I simply be better doing what DVII did, and surround my map with lava falls and cliffs?

(I tried various searches, because I'm sure this has been covered, but I couldn't figure out what the effect might have been called.)

If you are mapping for vanilla, you can check maps like Alien Vendetta map11.

Torn said:

If you are mapping for vanilla, you can check maps like Alien Vendetta map11.

That's the exact sort of effect I'm talking about, but I want it to a alot further. I want it to be hard for the player to see exactly where it ends, instead of the clear edge of AV's Map11 water.

Insane_Gazebo said:

My question is, how big can I make this sector before I run into problems, and is there a better way to achieve this effect over a vast distance?

IIRC, you should avoid to have any length (including diagonals) longer than 32767 or you risk overflows. So your outside area should remain in a square no larger than about 20000*20000.

At such sizes, however, you're very likely to run into other limits first.

ZDoom can do the effect you're looking for (infinite horizon). It's called line horizon.

I don't think any other port has an equivalent, so you would need to do the "really big sector" method.

david_a said:

ZDoom can do the effect you're looking for (infinite horizon). It's called line horizon.

I don't think any other port has an equivalent, so you would need to do the "really big sector" method.

Eternity has horizon and flat portal types.