Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Breadrobber

First map in need of playtesting

v1.01
http://www.speedyshare.com/291329759.html

That is the link to my first DOOM editing project, entitled SECRET REVEALED (tell me if the link is broken). I don't have any friends who play DOOM, so I need the online community to test my level. The map is oriented around finding secrets. It is designed around UV, and it might be too easy for most DOOMers on lower difficulties, but it should be plenty tough... provided that you can find most of the secrets. My advice: look for anything that looks out of place, backtrack from time to time, and think of all the ways that doors can be opened (D, S, W, G). I hope you enjoy it! Please give me some feedback.

Screenshots:
http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/169/screenshotdoom200908070c.png
http://img242.imageshack.us/i/screenshotdoom200908070.png/
http://img199.imageshack.us/i/screenshotdoom200908070i.png/
http://img81.imageshack.us/i/screenshotdoom200908070.png/

For the most part, this wasn't too bad.

There were a few bugs, but mostly they were minor, such as:

LineDef 108 is facing the wrong way, so the player can't get to the secret.

In the Yellow Skull Key room, some of the monsters which were supposed to warp in, got stuck. I can see you've tagged them for different difficulties and so on, though I think some might be over-lapping one another?

In Sector 247, the secret door is missing a lower texture, and for some reason, is unpegged.

The two corridors which lead to the keys, have those key textures beside the doors, obviously to indicate which key lies further beyond. However, I'll admit I initially thought they were locked, until I checked the map. (I'd probably remove them, a lot of players will assume they're locked, and get confused.)

I think Sector 227, and the surrounding area was supposed to be marked as a secret?

On a positive note, the monster placement, health and ammo, were great. The only exception was the circular cavern room with the Yellow Skull Key - I felt that was a touch cramped, given the player had to use the rocket launcher. (Some players might find this frustrating.)

I think the only other thing to add, were some minor texture alignment issues here and there on things like windows (if you're unsure as how to do this, all you need to do is unpeg the textures), and I'm sure some of the areas would look nicer with a little more detail. (And the circular cavern room, could have certainly used less detail, as cool as it looked.)

Still though, this is by far a crap load better than the first map I ever made. Hope the feedback helps :)

Insane_Gazebo said:

LineDef 108 is facing the wrong way, so the player can't get to the secret.

It's supposed to be that way. That's how to get out of the secret. You haven't found the way in =)

In the Yellow Skull Key room, some of the monsters which were supposed to warp in, got stuck. I can see you've tagged them for different difficulties and so on, though I think some might be over-lapping one another?

Really? I checked twice to make sure they weren't stuck. I guess I'll have to fix that. TY for pointing that out.

In Sector 247, the secret door is missing a lower texture, and for some reason, is unpegged.

I know about that. I liked the warped effect from not having a lower texture, so I kept it. I also purposefully had it unpegged, just because it looks cool that way.

The two corridors which lead to the keys, have those key textures beside the doors, obviously to indicate which key lies further beyond. However, I'll admit I initially thought they were locked, until I checked the map.

I was worried that some players might think that. I think I might just use colored arrows insted of color markers to show that instead if too many players have problems with it.

I think Sector 227, and the surrounding area was supposed to be marked as a secret?

Thanks for pointing that out. I had it as a secret before, but I think I must have accidentally tampered with it and made it not secret.

I think the only other thing to add, were some minor texture alignment issues here and there on things like windows.

I noticed that. Some of the textures, like on circular spots and in the computer maze, cannot be perfectly aligned.

Well, thanks for the feedback. I'll try to fix these problems and update the map. =)

This was pretty damn decent for a first map. A lot better than mine. One thing is that in the yellow hallway (intestine looking cavern thing) I don't think 2 Revenants in a very narrow hall way is such a good idea hah. Also, near the exit, when you pick up the machine gun the platform holding it disappears? Bug, or is that supposed to be trippy like that?

The platform lowers into the ground when you pick it up, and yeah the Revenants are pretty tough! Thanks for playing, hoped you liked it.