Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ninjalah

2 Story maps/rooms?

I know this question has been asked but for the life of me can't find anything with the search feature.

So my question is how do i make a 2 story room? I'm trying to make a circular room which you can see up into the next room via translucent glass. Which brings me to my next question...

how do i use translucent glass/textures? I think i heard that it was a boom feature, and if it is, do i really need to switch ports from gzdoom to boom just for one feature?

Ah, that makes things a little easier!

I've whipped up a practice wad to make things easier, just open it up and take a look :)

NOTE: When using the arguments for line action 160's behaviours:

Argument 1 is the sector tag
Not too sure what Argument 2 and 3 are used for.
Argument 4 is the opacity.

Link: http://www.filefront.com/14232805/3DFLOOREXAMPLE.wad

Use the "fly" console command to fly up to the upper floor. Lifts can be created to get the player to the higher floor though.

the iron hitman said:

Ah, that makes things a little easier!

I've whipped up a practice wad to make things easier, just open it up and take a look :)

NOTE: When using the arguments for line action 160's behaviours:

Argument 1 is the sector tag
Not too sure what Argument 2 and 3 are used for.
Argument 4 is the opacity.

Link: http://www.filefront.com/14232805/3DFLOOREXAMPLE.wad

Use the "fly" console command to fly up to the upper floor. Lifts can be created to get the player to the higher floor though.

Arguments? Whats that?

Im sorry but im new to this, and you lost me after 'NOTE: When using the arguments for line action 160's behaviours:'

Ninjalah said:

Arguments? Whats that?

Im sorry but im new to this, and you lost me after 'NOTE: When using the arguments for line action 160's behaviours:'

Arguments (these only apply if you're using the Zdoom "Doom in Hexen format") are the behaviours of a linedef action. They allow more customobility to your wads due to the extra features in the Zdoom code. You can only use these (I think) When you use Zdoom "Doom in Hexen format".

Oh. I was only using normal Doom 2 and the regular doom 2 wad as a resource. if i use the hexen format will i still be able to play it on gzdoom?

Yes!
In fact I'd highly recommend mapping in "Doom in Hexen" format or UDMF when you're mapping for (G)Zdoom, as you won't have access to most of the advanced features the engine offers otherwise!

Vader said:

Yes!
In fact I'd highly recommend mapping in "Doom in Hexen" format or UDMF when you're mapping for (G)Zdoom, as you won't have access to most of the advanced features the engine offers otherwise!

I'm sorry to sound stupid, but in most threads, I heard of UDMF... What kind of Format is that?

Oh an yeah, 3D floors for GZDoom are bore hard an easy, hard if you can't make as quick, easy if your Essel.
But it's all in what you choose whether it Vavoom or somethign else.

Ugh, i like the simplicity of just editing doom 2. but i just went through a bunch of test runs with doom / hexen format and holy christ is that confusing. im probably just gonna end up a bare bones doom 2 mapper.

Mithral_Demon said:

Oh an yeah, 3D floors for GZDoom are bore hard an easy, hard if you can't make as quick, easy if your Essel.

No, not even I would want to use 3D floors to build something with.

Also, Ninjalah, I would definitely recommend starting out in plain Doom 2 format, or Boom at most. Once you get comfortable enough with that (and I don't mean just spending a few hours doodling with it), if you're feeling limited by the Boom feature set, then would be a better time to start looking into advanced source ports. It'll most likely seem easier then as you'll have gotten more experience with mapping beforehand, and you'll have a much better grasp on the important basics before diving into it.

esselfortium said:

No, not even I would want to use 3D floors to build something with.

Why not? But I can sort of see where you're coming from. Using portals (Zdoom and Eternity portals) can help achieve a better visual look to an area than a 3D floor can, and probably with less effort.

It all depends. A combination of both would be ideal - portals for large room-over-room effects and 3D floors for smaller stuff.

Yeah, I've created 2 very nooby maps and another map that's... meh. Nothing big at all. I'm working on a new map as I type this.

So have you guys gotten portals to where they're "seamless" yet? Like if I shoot the wall and then go through the portal, does the mark go away? I'd be more excited if I saw more examples where they didn't seem so fake.