Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I'm back to advertise my latest "master peice" called castle. I have taken most of the advice from my other post and implied it as best I could in this wad. It consists of 6 decent sized levels All of which follow the castle texture scheme. If you are interested head over to tot comics doom 2 page. totcomics.webs.com

Screenshot
Huh. Even a 441 kb bitmap can cause arguments, so heres a nice little jpeg.
http://totcomics.webs.com/casstel.jpg

It's been brought to my attention that this wad is too hard on certian difficulties, so here's an updated version. (I hope it's better.)
http://www.filefront.com/14240649/CASTLE.zip//

Why don't you just link us to a download here? Nonetheless I'll take a look cause I'm very nice.

Maps 1 and 3 are the only ones I think I can finish on UV, as the others have so little ammo it's not funny. And after playing a few on HMP the difference of difficulty is very large because of this lack of ammo, like fighting an imp compared to 2 arch-viles and 3 barons. So I ask; did you try UV? Not as in a few tries and it was a little too hard so I focused on HMP, did you try UV on god mode and make sure you can kill EVERYTHING with the ammo you had? I'm leaning towards no. Try asking some friends or people on tot.comics who play doom to try your levels for ammo problems and such, I realize that's probably why you're posting it here but it'd be nice to have SOME testing before making a page for it.

As for architecture, it feels ok. A little basic, no real detail areas, but at the speed you made these levels since your last release I'm not too surprised. I'd suggest taking some time to look at wads with serious detailing, wads like the recent claustraphobia 1024 are great examples because they use so little space for gameplay that they can spend so much more time on details. When you've looked at some of those open them in an editor and see how the mappers made those details, then 'borrow' some for your own maps. It's not really necessary to make an enjoyable map but it makes it easier.

Now, secrets. I saw absolutely none and that's not much of a problem, but it's nice to have at least one or two secrets that will ease the harder difficulties for non-speedrunners. Not much is needed, maybe a backpack behind a middle texture alcove, or a 'slight' (some are sooo obvious) misaligned texture to signal a secret door to an alcove with some armor and ammo.

Just keep making levels and getting critiques, you'll start forming into a good mapper soon enough.

It's too heavy. A .PNG would be smaller with no perceptible quality loss.

Blegh. FRAPs doesn't let you chose anything other than BMP for screens in the trial mode and my other screen app doesn't work with skulltag. I'm too poor to upgrade so guess it's prboom shots from now on -.-

ArmouredBlood said:

Blegh. FRAPs doesn't let you chose anything other than BMP for screens in the trial mode and my other screen app doesn't work with skulltag. I'm too poor to upgrade so guess it's prboom shots from now on -.-

Actually a easy way around that is open a frap screeny in paint and save it as a jpeg or png. I didn't do that though because I was in a hurry.

Hrm...needs a lot of work. There's not nearly enough ammo, since the majority of the enemies don't have drops. I found an area in I think it was MAP05 where you can jump out the window into a dead area. :) That was weird. The Cyberdemon trap was interesting though...with the dropping ceiling that kills it. There were texture problems with the ceiling though. Actually, there are quite a few texture problems scattered throughout the maps. The architecture is certainly a bit better than the water works wad, and has quite a few creative things in it (like the barbecued corpse). It's certainly an improvement over your previous works. My suggestions are threefold: balance out the enemies a bit (a Baron of Hell in MAP01 is lame, for example), add more ammo (or change some of the non-drop enemies to drop enemies), and fix your texture issues that are all over the place.

ArmouredBlood said:

Try the print screen button on your keyboard. :P If it doesn't create a shot to the port's directory, then it should at least be on clipboard.

Eponasoft said:

Hrm...needs a lot of work. There's not nearly enough ammo, since the majority of the enemies don't have drops. I found an area in I think it was MAP05 where you can jump out the window into a dead area. :) That was weird. The Cyberdemon trap was interesting though...with the dropping ceiling that kills it. There were texture problems with the ceiling though. Actually, there are quite a few texture problems scattered throughout the maps. The architecture is certainly a bit better than the water works wad, and has quite a few creative things in it (like the barbecued corpse). It's certainly an improvement over your previous works. My suggestions are threefold: balance out the enemies a bit (a Baron of Hell in MAP01 is lame, for example), add more ammo (or change some of the non-drop enemies to drop enemies), and fix your texture issues that are all over the place.

I'm glad it's improvement that's what I was aiming for. As for monsters, ammo, and difficulty I just realeased an updated version that should help.

It's been brought to my attention that this wad is too hard on cetian difficulties, so here's an updated version. (I hoppe it's better.)

It's not too hard there's just too little ammo for the fights you're asking -.- Will try this new version after lunch.

I had a quick run through your wad on UV, it was actually entertaining so you're definitely improving.

Quick thoughts if you care :

- Overall enough ammo and health, although sometimes too much, sometimes not enough.
- On Map02, both sides of the raising bridge are missing textures, causing HoM effects when it raises.
- On Map03, fighting 2 cyberdemons in a small area is a very sharp increase in difficulty compared to the other fights in your wad, and feels out of place, especially as you don't give enough ammo to kill them on the spot and only 2 stimpaks. You could use archviles instead.
- On Map06, there's no exit. Also, fighting a spidermastermind at close range without cover might be considered unfair by some (I liked it, but I tend to enjoy challenge maps and, to be honest, just like the cybie fight in map03 it felt out of place compared to the rest of your wad).

Phml said:

I had a quick run through your wad on UV, it was actually entertaining so you're definitely improving.

Quick thoughts if you care :

- Overall enough ammo and health, although sometimes too much, sometimes not enough.
- On Map02, both sides of the raising bridge are missing textures, causing HoM effects when it raises.
- On Map03, fighting 2 cyberdemons in a small area is a very sharp increase in difficulty compared to the other fights in your wad, and feels out of place, especially as you don't give enough ammo to kill them on the spot and only 2 stimpaks. You could use archviles instead.
- On Map06, there's no exit. Also, fighting a spidermastermind at close range without cover might be considered unfair by some (I liked it, but I tend to enjoy challenge maps and, to be honest, just like the cybie fight in map03 it felt out of place compared to the rest of your wad).

I'm glad you liked it. About the cyberdemon fight, the low ammo factor is there by accident, but helps me because when you pick up the invullnerability orb a crusher crushes both of the cybies. Thats the real twist of that fight. Map06 has no exit because thats the boss and the last level.

I was actually talking about the other 2 cyberdemons, that you encounter earlier on the way to some key.

Phml said:

I was actually talking about the other 2 cyberdemons, that you encounter earlier on the way to some key.

Oh. Well in that case don't bother with them, they can't leave there tiny room anyways. If you do want to kill them theres a plasma gun by the key.

Personally, I couldn't care less about killing them or not. I'm just saying it's impossible with the ammo provided in the room as it is - including the plasma gun, there's about 300 cells and killing 2 cybies take ~350 cells with perfect aim, which is, in such an enclosed space, much harder than anything else in the wad.

Phml said:

Personally, I couldn't care less about killing them or not. I'm just saying it's impossible with the ammo provided in the room as it is - including the plasma gun, there's about 300 cells and killing 2 cybies take ~350 cells with perfect aim, which is, in such an enclosed space, much harder than anything else in the wad.

Hmmm. You have a point there. My real goal with that room was just to make getting the key more of a challenge.

ArmouredBlood said:

Seriously. SERIOUSLY. And some people wonder why I got such a bad fucking attitude when dealing with people on the internets...

Here follows, "Kristus tutorial on taking screenshots with pretty much any game engine in the fucking world that got a fucking console... for retards." (Yes that's right, I call you a fucking retard. And the fact that I felt I had to empathize that should tell you something)

1. Bring down the god damn console.

2. Write with the stupid keyboard. bind n screenshot

3. Press the fucking Enter key on the stupid fucking keyboard!

4. Press esc to get rid of the god damn console.

5. Press the fucking N key to take screenshots!

That's the basically universal way.

Skulltag also got the screenshot bind available in the fucking "Customize controls" section.

EDIT: I had to edit this because the first version of the post wasn't disrespectful enough.

Hmmm. You have a point there. My real goal with that room was just to make getting the key more of a challenge.

It is definitely a challenge, as it is. That said, I believe having slightly more ammo in this room wouldn't change that, and not being able to kill all monsters tend to frustrate players sometimes.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting you change anything, merely relating my experience so you can see if it fits your intended goals or not. Ultimately, it is your map and you should do what you feel is best.

Also, to no one in particular, I think lacking basic social skills fits the definition of a retard more closely than not being able to use a specific tool in a computer video game, by any stretch of the imagination. Your mileage may vary and all that.

kristus said:

Seriously. SERIOUSLY. And some people wonder why I got such a bad fucking attitude when dealing with people on the internets...

Here follows, "Kristus tutorial on taking screenshots with pretty much any game engine in the fucking world that got a fucking console... for retards." (Yes that's right, I call you a fucking retard. And the fact that I felt I had to empathize that should tell you something)

1. Bring down the god damn console.

2. Write with the stupid keyboard. bind n screenshot

3. Press the fucking Enter key on the stupid fucking keyboard!

4. Press esc to get rid of the god damn console.

5. Press the fucking N key to take screenshots!

That's the basically universal way.

Skulltag also got the screenshot bind available in the fucking "Customize controls" section.

EDIT: I had to edit this because the first version of the post wasn't disrespectful enough.

This might be the best thing I've read all day.

Hey man
I've played map01, and i have some advice for you:

You need to lower this ceiling at least by 16 units. I've never seen it looking good. This also applies to the exit, you'll want to lower the floor by at least 16 units. I've not played the other 5 maps, and while map01 looks simple, it's a very good start. Keep mapping and you'll achieve great things in the future.

Trying this map soon, looks good!

Only thing is it seems that you rushed through this one pretty quickly, even for just 6 maps. So I wont expect supreme detail and accuracy.