Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
esselfortium

[Resource] EDF monster library!

I've ported a bunch of decorate monsters over to EDF for use in Eternity, and thought about making a thread for them a while back. And at long last, here it is!

Note that you will need to be on a recent version of Eternity to use these. The Catharsi, in particular, requires r809 or higher due to a recent change made to the MissileAttack codepointer.

Click any of the info images to download a zip containing that monster.

Each monster comes in a wad with an EDFROOT lump, a lump containing the EDF for the monster itself, and a dummy DECORATE lump to allow the monster to be recognized in Doom Builder.

To put multiple monsters into one wad, combine the lumpinclude("lump name") lines from their EDFROOT lumps into one, and copy over all their other lumps.

Nice, and I like the graphics of your site (do those linked pictures appear on a site?).

What other monsters are left to be ported?

esselfortium said:

requires r809 or higher due to a recent change made to the MissileAttack codepointer.

And that might be...

printz said:

Nice, and I like the graphics of your site (do those linked pictures appear on a site?).

Thanks! I'm happy with how they turned out as well. I didn't feel like setting up a whole website for them, so I designed the graphics with the Doomworld forums color scheme in mind. :)

What other monsters are left to be ported?

Well, there's a lot to choose from, but I'd definitely like to see the Bruiser Demon, Dark Imps (or possibly just one dark imp with some sort of combined behavior; three is overkill IMO), and some others ported over. Quality ports of any quality monsters are good, though :P

The r809 change to MissileAttack makes it fire straight ahead at the specified angle if no target is found, instead of just doing nothing. This is required for the bomb dropped by the Catharsi on death. (Porting over the NailBorg should be possible now with that change, as well!)

I usually see the Catharsi as aliens not as demons, hinted by the fact they prefer guns to elementals or prosthetics. They appear like the Imp original forms.

esselfortium said:

Note that you will need to be on a recent version of Eternity to use these. The Catharsi, in particular, requires r809 or higher due to a recent change made to the MissileAttack codepointer.

I'm glad to see my builds are useful. :)

esselfortium said:

Well, there's a lot to choose from, but I'd definitely like to see the Bruiser Demon, Dark Imps (or possibly just one dark imp with some sort of combined behavior; three is overkill IMO), and some others ported over. Quality ports of any quality monsters are good, though :P

With all these KDiZD monsters ported to EDF, when will you start KDiKDiZDiEE? :P

Gez said:

With all these KDiZD monsters ported to EDF, when will you start KDiKDiZDiEE? :P

Never :P

And thanks Gez for the EE builds; I'm sure Quasar and SoM appreciate it too, as I don't have to pester them to upload builds for me in #noteternityenginerelated anymore :D

The satyr has a redundant CLAW attack sound, making him make that noise when starting the attack.

The cybruiser is as strong as a cyberdemon. No optimized DETONATE that wouldn't read necessarily from DAMAGE yet?

Also, recommended ID # numbers are from 20000 up.

Very nice, Essel! I really like how the pictures look and how each one has their own section for stats, info and such. Great work. :)

printz said:

The satyr has a redundant CLAW attack sound, making him make that noise when starting the attack.

The cybruiser is as strong as a cyberdemon. No optimized DETONATE that wouldn't read necessarily from DAMAGE yet?

Also, recommended ID # numbers are from 20000 up.

The doomed numbers that are >= 3000 and < 4000 are technically safe because there is no plan to add new id's inside that range. Anything from 4000 to 12999 is unsafe for use, however. The range from 13000 to 20000 will probably be opened up for EDF use, however, after Hexen and Strife are completely implemented. I see no possible use for that range of numbers.

Also, in UDMF, doomed numbers are not technically limited to 32767, so it will be possible to use ones larger than that so long as the editor utility being used allows it (which it should if it is fully UDMF-compliant).

Bitchin'. :D

Nice to see the monsters from the Bestiary are being put to good use. (:

This is inspiring me to give editing for Doom another go.

Lord_Z said:

They look beautiful! That is what Realm667 should look like.

Torm got rid of the detailed pictures to use instead simply a sprite so as to reduce bandwidth use.

Nice, they look very good indeed! But i can't get them, could you post a direct link to the zip file, please ?
And maybe you can accept some contributions to the "Eternity Beastiary" ?
I have some monsters created for eternity (edf included) but never have the chance to use myself on some map. Tell me if you're interesed.

Cya and keep on good work.

NokturnuS, if you have images disabled on the forum, Doomworld's forum software has a bug where it'll just give you the url to the image instead of the url to the link set up for the image. The same thing happens when people post thumbnail screenshots to click on...:\

Good luck porting scaled monsters. Unless Eternity quickly develops a scaling system (which I don't want, because it's not very doomy ^^), you'll have to manually resize the graphics.

Also (was not answered), is there a useful custom explosion in Eternity? AFAIK, Detonate applies the missile damage value of the thing, denying its usability for projectiles.

printz said:

(which I don't want, because it's not very doomy ^^)

Room over room is not very Doomy. What was Eternity's most spectacular feature again?

printz said:

Good luck porting scaled monsters. Unless Eternity quickly develops a scaling system

Scaling system?

Sprites have to be scaled for proper perspective anyway so making scaled sprites is just adding one factor in one place. You don't even have to touch the actual rendering code. No need for any complexity here.

Graf Zahl said:

Scaling system?

Sprites have to be scaled for proper perspective anyway so making scaled sprites is just adding one factor in one place. You don't even have to touch the actual rendering code. No need for any complexity here.

Indeed! Sprite scaling would require very little effort...

when u say to click on the info images to download them, i dont get it. i go into the image and theres no lonk no download so what do i do?

I've also ported the Chaingun Spider, Jimmy's Arachnorb, Demolisher, Arachnophyte (where it belongs!!), Super Shotgun Former Marine, Acolyte, Nami Dark Imp, Agathodemon, Lord of Heresy, Warlord of Hell, Archon of Hell, Chainsaw Zombie, Devil, Fallen and Nightmare for Eternity!

printz said:

I've also made the Chaingun Spider, Jimmy's Arachnorb, Demolisher, Arachnophyte (where it belongs!!), Super Shotgun Former Marine, Acolyte, Nami Dark Imp, Agathodemon, Lord of Heresy, Warlord of Hell, Archon of Hell, Chainsaw Zombie, Devil, Fallen and Nightmare!

dude is there a way to import them to zdoom and use the skulltag configuration to use them?

if not, are there any monsters i can find than CAN be used for skulltag? im making a custom game. i give credit to whoeverhelps with enemies, maps, music etc =)

Err, why did you have to post so soon? I corrected my post to mean that I ported them, not created them (the ones uploaded up there were ported by esselfortium). They're originally for ZDoom, so they work in skulltag. link

printz said:

Err, why did you have to post so soon? I corrected my post to mean that I ported them, not created them (the ones uploaded up there were ported by esselfortium). They're originally for ZDoom, so they work in skulltag. link

I use scripting and stuff and i want it so wen a certain enemy dies (Avatar in the beastiary) a platform goes down, but i cant find the ID of the Avatar. I've tried T_AVATAR and cant find out what it is. please help?

Please do not use this thread for such requests. Thanks. Ask editing questions in the Editing forum, or on the ZDoom forums, or on the Beastiary forums. Here it's very out of place since this thread is about the EDF monster library for Eternity... :/

Thanks Gez.

And I should probably at some point get around to updating some of these with sprite scaling where applicable; I've already got them all updated for that in the Vaporware resource wad, but I didn't bother to export out the updated monsters individually to re-upload them for this library. <_<