Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
gggmork

obhack first demo attempts

This thread's for recording first demo attempts on obhack generated levels (first time plays on levels you've never seen before, ultraviolence, complevel 2).

If you die, press spacebar and keep playing until you win. Whoever gets the fastest total time (time of all died attempts on the level added together) wins. Just fastest to the exit switch, not needing max kills.
If you want to easily see the total time just play the demo later in prboomplus and the total time will be displayed in the hud.

Link includes the generated megawad I used, plus my first demo attempts of the first 10 maps:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/mhtjnx
or same thing on rapidshare:
http://rapidshare.com/files/265594485/obFDA.zip.html

If you feel like doing it, obviously don't watch the demos first, since the idea is that you've never seen the level before. Just based on trust that no one will cheat. Just for fun, don't bother if you don't feel like it of course. I'd probably lose because I get too bored playing safely.

If you want similar practice maps, I used obhack-win-003e here:
http://www.samiam.org/slump/old/
with these parameters:

game:doom2
port:limit removing
length:full game
mode:single player

level size: regular
monsters:hordes
puzzles:some
outdoors:more

steepness:steep
health:enough
ammo:more
start weapon:basic

I forgot which seed I used. I havn't tried newer obhack versions yet.

EDIT: I found out that the hud's total time adds the tally screen time onto it.. so I guess don't stare at the tally screen too long or you lose time..

Here's all the rest (11-32) if anyone's interested. I really sucked on 28, taking almost a half hour, not really in the zone and failing a speedy route over and over and just getting frustrated. After that I just quit map 29 because 28 irritated me too much with its mini caco army and shotgun guys everywhere, but I beat all the rest.
http://rapidshare.com/files/266022963/obFDA-maps11to32-ggg.zip.html

Never played any obhack maps before and had a two-week break from playing doom seriously (due to lack of free time), still i think it can be fun. I tried map01 just for get idea of obhack maps and got 3:13/3:08 (Total/LastAt). In addition i completely forgot that turned messages off and thus have been pretty confused by BSK door; also that lift near the end didn`t came on my first call :-). Good chance for me to practice some more before Scythe X is out (despite i haven`t done with CC3 yet).
I`ll try other maps later on. Bad thing there`s no traps & secrets. On common maps in FDAs you have to stay alert till the very end in aware of be stabbed back.

obfda-01-312-skpt.zip

This is great. I always enjoy demos from gggmork and now I get a little behind the scenes of twitchy rushed first attempts. Very voyeuristic. I really hope this catches on. Maybe I'll join in next round. It's been years since I've played a few computer generated maps.

-EDIT-

Oh and I'm not very good.

Traps can be fun for FDA too (as long as they're not too cheap such as surprise chaingunners that require memorization), but I quite like the gameplay of obhack maps as is. In these maps you can go quickly, skipping whatever monsters you want without worrying too much about figuring stuff out or surprise traps (though going quick and skipping monsters didn't really pay off time-wise in most of my demos probably.. got lots of time penalty on 5 for dying for example.. but I think it paid off on a few maps.. still playing safer would probably be a better overall strategy).

some notes:
*Tall thin red brick columns usually have switches on them (the switches pretty much always open a closed door somewhere or lower column barriers).
*Monsters can't open key doors in this version of obhack at least (so one time I purposely opened a key door then safely closed a reverent behind it for example).
*Occasionally there's more than one yellow door for example.

Yeah, i understand. But FDAs is not about quick racing through map alone (there`s speed demos for that). On common map`s FDA you can see how well one going through traps. Some players can slip out even cheap traps as you call it. Figuring out where to go next is also improtant part of FDAs which is almost absent here :-)
It was pretty fun anyway. Here`s zip with 32 demos.

http://rapidshare.com/files/266329323/obFDA-skepticist.zip.html

I got my ass kicked, heh heh. Your general tactic of methodologically killing 1 monster or group at a time was more effective, hardly dying at all and generally always keeping the threat in front of you instead of behind you. You were practically doing max kill runs almost, then skipping more monsters on around map 23 for example so went even faster. Map 3 was funny (I guess my note about switches being on red columns would have been useful at the time). I better try a more methodological approach on scythe x if I do FDA for that. Its often tempting to just run past everyone fast anyway (then die..).

g = gggmork, s = skepticist

1 339g, 313s (s)
2 154g, 210s (g)
3 751g, 1320s (g)
4 757g, 304s (s)
5 1037g, 554s (s)
6 302g, 359s (g)
7 1138g, 353s (s)
8 500g, 449s (s)
9 1253g, 711s (s)
10 559g, 442s (s)
11 819g, 547s (s)
12 231g, 251s (g)
13 356g, 357s (g)
14 249g, 410s (g)
15 25g, 51s (g)
16 1513g, 355s (s)
17 756g, 338s (s)
18 632g, 338s (s)
19 417g, 738s (g)
20 905g, 534s (s)
21 414g, 341s (s)
22 406g, 326s (s)
23 311g, 239s (s)
24 329g, 304s (s)
25 754g, 449s (s)
26 1109g, 542s (s)
27 1306g, 716s (s)
28 2933g, 528s (s)
29 quitg, 812s (s)
30 243g, 235s (s)
31 301g, 311s (g)
32 438g, 318s (s)

wins:
g = 9
s = 23

Map10 UV-Pacifist - 0:18 Also Reality!
Map15 UV-Pacifist - 0:05 Also Reality!
-complevel 2

Also Includes: Map10 UV-Speed 0:18
Map15 UV-Speed 0:05
Map15 NM-Speed 0:05

obakse01.zip

I played first tries per episode instead of per map before watching anyone else's stuff (not finished yet) for the corresponding levels. I did the first episode (1-11) yesterday but I was kind of lame there. For the second episode (12-20), which I attached below, I was paying more attention and it resulted in a more efficient, shorter demo (457 KB for E2 instead of E1's 810 KB). The total E2 time is 55:39.

One curious thing I noticed; there were no armor bonuses in the levels. How so?

obfda2.zip

Thanks myk for sharing your recordings. I definitely will watch this. I wonder why you decided to record demo per episode, is it something wrong with demo per map? Playing map from pistol start adds extra challenge and makes relusts comparable (map12 still can be compared, though).
Don`t be ashamed to show your E1 aswell. FDAs don`t have to be successfull every time or be fast; they represent gamestyle and tactics not skill. Even failed (map not finished) FDAs is worthy.

You're welcome!

skepticist said:
I wonder why you decided to record demo per episode, is it something wrong with demo per map? Playing map from pistol start adds extra challenge and makes relusts comparable (map12 still can be compared, though). Don`t be ashamed to show your E1 aswell. FDAs don`t have to be successfull every time or be fast; they represent gamestyle and tactics not skill. Even failed (map not finished) FDAs is worthy.

Nothing wrong with demos per map, those are fun too, and you are right those would be comparable to the ones you guys did. For the first episode, I had just played to watch the demos and (as I often do) recorded it. It's more of an "exploratory" demo than a real FDA where you try to reach the exit as quickly as possible. If you watch it, you'll see me do stuff like ignore the exit door to check out other areas. For the second one, and after I had watched some of gggmork's E1 level demos, I thought "hmm, I could do something more fun now and push progress some more" and continued the episode format, more than anything to compare myself to what I had done in the first.

obfda1.zip