Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
z34chris

UDMF utility beta testing

I've been looking for such a thing. Where do I sign in my blood?

This is a beta for the moment, I can add Hexen support in another release. Just want to clear up any odd errors in translating attributes from the binary format to udmf.

You may not have the visual studio runtime libraries installed. I compiled this program with visual studio 2005.

Try that, however, I have not used any .net with this utility. This one is just straight C. I did some looking around in here and the net and found tons of info in distributing applications and windows not being able to execute them due the run time environment not being installed. vcredist.exe I believe.

You can change that in your compile settings by linking the runtime library statically. For small tools this is recommended because the redistrubutable CRT for VC++ 2005 or higher is quite messy.

Alright I opened it in Dependency Walker and found

Error: The Side-by-Side configuration information for "c:\wad2udmf\WAD2UDMF.EXE" contains errors. This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem (14001).

I will fix that shortly. Mine was compiled /MD... kind of embarrassing. So far the newer compile runs just short of creating an empty output file on a test machine :( In the mean time, will the previous compile ever run if a user has the right .dll files in place?

I have uploaded an updated version with static linked run time libraries. I tested it on another machine with XP SP2, hopefully there will be some results this time.

The link is now updated to a newer version that includes some fixes
(This one should have been the original release)

I will be hacking out zdoom/hexen support for the udmf converter this weekend as I am taking a break from work to go to school.

So far, the program can detect a zdoom/hexen format map. Three things that need to be done are: Read the format appropriately, write it in UDMF, and lastly copy over the map scripts.

I have uploaded another version that includes some zdoom features. After converting a map, a lump editor will be needed to at least copy over the behavior lumps, etc. I will look into adding this feature later.

Great! But "some" ZDoom features? Other than the behavior lump, are there other things that aren't implemented yet?

what I meant by 'some zdoom features' is that I cant guarantee all zdoom features will work at the moment. I still have some programming to do, but this version with the help of a lump editor will tackle most zdoom features in the conversion process. I just need for the beta test to continue on so I don't miss anything programming-wise. As far as implementations go, I havent added a user specified map option list, or the behavior lump copying, or any other lump copying, or basic wadfile checks. I converted most of the zdoom demo wad file over with the exception of polyobjects, but everything else seems to work. There are a few action specials that have some weirdness associated with udmf and I am still working on those items.

I am trying to figure out how to implement the behavior lump copying feature mostly due to how I have the functions set up in the code :(
(Why does vitaminwater brand 'power-c' taste and smell like dirty cooch?)

The newer version now copies over the behavior and script lumps(yay!) I have also made a small fix to the namespace issue of the udmf textmaps so that zdoom/hexen types should work correctly. Should I have this thing copy over the other non related lumps as well?

I have also included an updated link to the newer version.

I have uploaded a new version of the udmf converter. This one will include a properly set line translucency as well as polyobjects and scrollfloors and some other fixes.

I dont want to wake up an old thread or anything, but am always interested in user feedback or suggestions :)

Completeness of the udmf converter so far: doom support, zdoom support, behavior and script lumps are copied to the output wadfile, polyobjects work, scripting works, water effects work. Any other effects that are used in the zdoom demo that I did not mention seem to work. I need to find another zdoom map to test this program on, suggestions?