Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bullsquid

Best megawads of all time

Please post your choices for the top 5 or 10, whatever u want of all time best and almost epic megawads for doom2.
Please use only megawads wich dont alter doom2 in any ways exept new graphics, no tc's or partial conversions plz

My votes goes out to

alien vendetta
mememto mori 1&2
requiem
plutonia 2
ndcp projects
community chests
scytche 1

i cant really put these in number and order since they are all good in different ways, whats your opinions?

These wads are so good that i can play them over and over and never get tired, some levels so epic that u will remember them for years.

Those were some of the greatest posts of all time.

Chrispaks said:

Alien Vendetta MAP20 blew my mind for some reason. I love that map.

I agree. The map seemed just unbelievably HUGE when I first saw it (2002). Now, of course, there maps that have at least equaled it, such as Deus Vult (played as one map), Strogg Shooter, and some map a guy name Simo Malinen or something released for Doom II back in '03 or so (can't remember then name, I thing the file name is 2complex.wad). Still, though, it's still a classic, and it still holds its foots as a huge level, possibly still one of the largest at least of the ones that work with vanilla Doom - it just doesn't quite have the sting of "Wow, that's a HUGE map!" that it gave me back in the day anymore.

Oh, and about my favorite megawads. You know, I can't really pick favorites, there are just too many good stuff available nowadays. But I can safely say that I think SerEtInf (the three Doom I episodes), Obituary, the Memento Mori series, Demonfear, Requiem, Strain (?), Darkening E1/E2, Hell Revealed 1/2, 10 Sector, Alien Vendetta, 2002: ADO, Community Chest series (particularily 3), Scythe 1/2 (and hopefully X eventually), Vile Flesh, Kama Sutra, NDCP (1, 2 has too many issues/bugs), Plutonia 2, Needs More Detail, and the two 1024 megawads, are (at least most of) the megawads that truely don't deserve to be passed by anybody. Of course, on that topic, the recent Bicycle Mystery wad was was pretty nice too - even in single player.

EDIT: Oh, and how could I forget so much from '97 - forgot to mention Talosian and Eternal Doom. Both certainly deserve attention.

Oh, and Cyberdreams ('98) and Batman ('99) also. I've looked through the Doomworld top 100/Cacowards now, hopefully I've named them all.

Like every time megawads are discussed this thread makes me scratch my head. Again I get the feeling that there's some people around that really think that being a megawad makes its contents inherently better than small episodes or single maps.

Just played through Fava Beans. Doesn't really count as a megawad but it's a great wad anyway :)

Meh. For some reason deus vult 2 is annoying to me, it's got great architecture and feeling, but some of the fights and levels are just annoying and tedious. Like the level after minas morgul, going up that mountain was pretty cool but the fights themselves were annoying, all those back-stabbing chaingunners and bush textures that cut my sight to 32 units were awful. And (keep in mind I was playing HMP cause I actually wanted to finish it without having to save constantly due to traps and not knowing the map) the pyramid level and starportish level just dragged on and on with big pauses between the action. Epic scenery but the fights weren't connected or the path intuitive. That's mostly what I feel from my playing, and I'm up to the beginning of the cathedral now, not sure where that is in the wad length.

I guess I like my dooming relatively linear, which is kind of surprising since I like TES and Fallout 3 ... maybe it's linear dungeon layout v open world? idk ...

So really I like wads more action-oriented like the scythes and HRs and related, v. larger one piece maps. I am kind of liking phocas island 2 which I found off a link to the cacowards though.

arrrgh said:

Just played through Fava Beans. Doesn't really count as a megawad but it's a great wad anyway :)

Some levels end too early, and the last level is just a degenerated clone, sadly.

Graf Zahl said:

Like every time megawads are discussed this thread makes me scratch my head. Again I get the feeling that there's some people around that really think that being a megawad makes its contents inherently better than small episodes or single maps.

For me that's because of one reason only: When I play a good single-map wad and it ends, I find myself wanting more. With a megawad, that isn't a problem.

Sure, but you have to take into consideration that the next level can be done by someone else, or be simply bad, or done by the same author, who has lost his inspiration...

Hence why we need "best megawads" topics to avoid this situation, don't you think ? :)

Sometimes, I want to sit down and play Doom for a hour or two, and in that situation I'd rather up load up a megawad than having to scout a bunch of different maps in my wad folder. There's a sense of progression, better immersion as well. I mean, I don't care that much for stories or stuff, but the "play for 5-10 min / back to OS / search another wad / repeat" routine that comes with single levels breaks the gameplay flow, whereas with a megawad I can keep on playing until I'm bored.