Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Magma

[In progress] Temporel - 1 or 2 testers needed

True. I moved to ZDoom, from Doom95 and the Dos executable, only this year.

And I keep playing on my DX2/66 when I go back to my parents house...

The point is that, using ZDoom, I maybe "forgot" that some ports have not the same abilities to handle so heavy levels. I'll surely have to rework the map to make it compatible, surely by splitting it in two parts.

PrBoom-Plus, ZDoom (as well as popular ZDoom-based ports GZDoom and Skulltag), Eternity, and possibly also PrBoom (someone correct me if I'm wrong) can all handle maps with up to 65535 segs. It's only if you go past that point where you're going to run into problems.

Essel, at first I'll finish the map within this limit of 65535 segs, and if the players who try it find it okay, I'll surely split it in two.

But I'll ask for a lot of advices about the gameplay, because I'm mostly a classic gamer (I only play with a joystick or a paddle, no mouse+kb, no jumping/free look etc). Some years ago, I even considered that teleporting monsters was an heresy, and thought it was a solution used by lazy mappers or by mappers who could not design a correct trap... so I'll surely need some help.

EDIT : has anyone a nice rock texture ? I can't find one...

Still looking for a good rock texture, I did not see anything great... this would be to replace the old doom texture for those cliffs :

http://img7.hostingpics.net/pics/988916ext_1.png

I'm currently working on the techbase part of the map, but tend to get visuals errors... so I might have to split it, too many segs, I suppose.

Views of the base + labs :
http://img7.hostingpics.net/pics/491414base_2.png

http://img7.hostingpics.net/pics/29882Doom_Entr4.png

http://img7.hostingpics.net/pics/527246lab_2.png

And the visual errors *ack*
http://img7.hostingpics.net/pics/226194bug_base_1.png

I use BD2, but had to use also DB 1.68 + DeepSea since DB2 was unable to build the nodes. So, for some time, I managed checking the errors on DeepSea 12.12, then compiling the nodes with ZenNode under DB 1.68, then re-importing the file on DB2 to work further on the level.

Unfortunately, it seems that the level -error free under DS 12.12- can't be played under ZDoom without graphical artefacts. If some of you came to the same problems, feel free to give a hand ;-) !

EDIT : modified wrong picture.

Agreed, rocks look fine as is.

Is that a Weyland-Yutani logo I see? Building better worlds :D

That's some pretty precise detail you've got going there.

Ahhh, thanks, I'm going to have a look :-).

Well, I've been working on Map03, and think it's time to release a preversion, for whoever would like to test it and give me feedback. It's a regular map, quite straight, with a few "classical" secrets and traps. It's also quite flat, which might annoy some of you.

There is still a lot to do, and I'd greatly appreciate some help to improve both architecture and gameply - well, mostly gameplay in fact.

Thanks !

You can download it broken. Atm, it has to be played on map 01 slot.

---
Note : remember it's supposed to be Map03, that's why I give some weapons directly at the beginning - I might think about adjusting the gameplay to allow pistol start, but I doubt this wad will ever be used for speedrunning ;-). I will also surely change the way the player arrives on the teleport pod : having one in the middle of a mountain can seem quite... weird. Of course map04 will take place in the same location this level ends !

Shit this maps look awesome, the detail is really great! Looking forward to playing them.

Well you can try the third map if you wish ;-).

Seems I have a problem I cannot get rid of in the mine part : on teh railway, sometimes, there is something which looks as a small HoM, but ONLY on the rail.

I also have the problem on one linedef in the cave, but neither Deep nor DB are able to find a problem... did someone already had these errors ?

Super Jamie said:
Is that a Weyland-Yutani logo I see? Building better worlds :D

Yes : I'm using AvP textures, and thought WY was exactly what I needed ;-).

Magma said:

Seems I have a problem I cannot get rid of in the mine part : on teh railway, sometimes, there is something which looks as a small HoM, but ONLY on the rail.

I also have the problem on one linedef in the cave, but neither Deep nor DB are able to find a problem... did someone already had these errors ?

Be more specific. Linedef and/or sector number please.

BTW Risen3D also runs this.

hawkwind said:

Be more specific. Linedef and/or sector number please.

BTW Risen3D also runs this.

Should be around linedef 13524 in the mines, I checked things times and again, but wasn't able to fin any error.

I sometimes see this little HoM in the cave on linedef 2906 or 3111. As for the mine one, no errors found.

Well, it's been a few days since I released the (so-called ^^) beta version, and there have been 300+ views on this topic, and quite a few downloads also from my site (about 50 the last time I checked)... but no return.

As I'd like to improve the wad and learn from what you people think, could someone who's d/l it tell me what's wrong in it ?

Thanks a lot :-)

Magma said:

Should be around linedef 13524 in the mines, I checked things times and again, but wasn't able to fin any error.

I sometimes see this little HoM in the cave on linedef 2906 or 3111. As for the mine one, no errors found.

All appears to be fine with those lines. Try another port and/or nodesbuilder to see if the problems go away.

ZDoom is letting you get away with a number of errors. Main one being that pnames has the patch floor1 but there is no corresponding patch of that name. Please error check your wad.

Other stuff ...

Texture on line 12523 front side needs Y alignment.

Lines 5190, 5185 etc. etc. need Y alignment - maybe X as well.

Lines 6590, 6963 etc. etc. need X alignment.

Lower unpeg line 10571.

Player can still walk over sector 1420 ( most of them ) when raised - serves no purpose.

Wrong texture on line 14823.

Lines 14322, 14321 and 14324 need a back side lower texture - maybe ashwall2.

Barrels near sector 3776 should be moved slightly north.

Missing flat iktkpn3 for sectors 1831, 1834 and 1837.

The vines on lines 22054, 22115 etc. should be lengthened.

Check position of barrels at sectors 2789 and 1651 from all angles.

Sector 255 should have a light level of 170.

Lines 1179, 1176 etc. have unknown texture step8.

Nothing opens sectors 2820 and 2814 - monsters at sectors 2821 and 2815 respectively.

Note skywall problem around sector 2710.

Thank you for taking the time of such a complete review, it's been really helpful !

Following your advice, I aligned all the textures in the mines, and -unfortunately- found a lot of other misaligned ones : this is hopefully fixed.

Sector 1420 is raised only to "show the way", but it might be uninteresting, and I will find another idea.

About the sky problem, I also have it at the end of the level in the base : I don't know if there is a solution, or if I should just move sectors / linedef to make it look fine.

I'm right now working on some little changes and will update the file soon.

Btw, the barrels in sector 2789 look good for me, but as I said, I don't use a mouse but a paddle to play : maybe that, using mouse look, the barrels are overlapping the edges ?