Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
trooper077

Help On Batman DooM

i have reached map 7 where you end up in the helicoptop after i enter it nothing happens but there is a grey door i tried opening it and nothing happens can anyone help me out?

I'm pretty sure the TC is broken in ZDoom. Try a port more faithful to vanilla. I'm not sure, but Chocolate doom or PRboom should work.

Yeah, its broken when I play it with the newest GZDoom. The final boss for example, you cant fight him at all. And if you console kill him to workaround this, he somehow telefrags you.

Most of the stuff works in EDGE, but not the final boss fight (the gloves you get always produce the "did not fight with your fists" graphic).

Would it be worth it to make a decorate patch for Batman Doom? I'm not saying I'd do it, but would it be useful enough to warrant such a thing?

Try playing it with prboom. That's what works for me. When I tried playing it with zdoom, some of the sprites randomly changed designs and scripted events never happened.

A DECORATE/ACS Batman ZDoom would be neat, but I guess it would take someone familiar with all of the DEHACKED to get it to work, or someone would have to spend a while studying it and converting it.

There are plenty of sourceports that can play it how it was actually intended though, without having to bother trying to recreate how it's supposed to work in a completely different system...

**bats eyes away from kdikdizd link in signature**

The only benefit to a decorate Batman Doom would be changing the player eye height. If you offset the attacks and view to better match the enemies in the game, Batman wouldn't be 4 feet tall bunching people in the nuts.

Modernising Batman Doom sounds great to me, now that a hell of lot more is capable.

Besides, call me lazy, but I dont want a hundred different ports just to play all the classics. Half of the classics from the "10 years" I have I cant even play because of outdated methods to play them properly.

The 10 years WADs are practically all Doom or Boom WADs, which PrBoom should run perfectly. Practically all of them should run on advanced ports as well. I'd recommend applying any critical compatibilities to any WAD made for a "supported" engine. If a level breaks because you used a modified executable, you're on your own.

There might be one or two that require special steps, meaning executing a DOS installer (wow) or something, one I think that is for some version of EDGE and maybe a couple for ZDoom.

Instead of complaining that "old WADs don't work" smart people should do some research, ask here or there for help, and fill in pages on the wiki of their favorite source port about how to get WADs that might give users problems installed as flawlessly as possible, including lists of WADs that require special options, or the like. This is much more reasonable than expecting modified WADs, especially when many of these WADs (Batman Doom included) don't give modification permissions.

myk said:

fill in pages on the wiki of their favorite source port
including lists of WADs that require special options, or the like.

Have I got a spreadsheet for you! Well not really but I am working on something like that for myself with plans to make a wiki page more and more knowledgeable people can flesh out. I started with PrBoom-Plus, Eternity Engine and ZDoom to see just how many bug fixes I could keep without breaking favorite or high profile WADs. Not sure how I think it should be formated ultimately.

myk said:

There might be one or two that require special steps, meaning executing a DOS installer (wow) or something, one I think that is for some version of EDGE and maybe a couple for ZDoom.

I can assure you there is no DOS installer for wow.wad

Anyway, I think learning how to run TC's in Chocolate Doom is a good way to learn how to pick out just what you need from a TC zip and how to mash it all together.