Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Fenriswolf

.ded file?

I know this is a very nooby question, but what the hell is a .ded-file and which tools do i need to edit it? How do they work? Is there any editor for .ded files? I googled a bit but didn't found anything...

DED stands for Doomsday Engine Definition. They are used by the Doomsday and Risen3D ports for defining and editing everything from Things to Particle Generators.

They are plain text format files and can be opened in Notepad or just about any word program.

The Doomsday Wiki, which, naturally, details deds in detail: http://www.dengine.net/dew/index.php?title=DED

Whenever I come across a new type of file, that seems config-like, I always try notepad, if it's a reasonable size.

phi108 said:

Whenever I come across a new type of file, that seems config-like, I always try notepad, if it's a reasonable size.

Notepad screws up the carriage returns/linefeed stuff. It has very poor encoding support, and it tends to confuse word wrapping with automatic insertion of new lines.

As a result, sometimes posts

that I saved in notepad before

pasting them in a browser will

end up looking like this, and

it is just stupid, because it

was a single line originally.

For this reason, I recommend expurgating your computer from this horror, and replacing it with any of the Scintilla-based text editors, like PNotepad, Notepad++, Notepad2, etc.

I have been using notepad++ for a while now, but just for applying a macro to a large text file.

I'll just go ahead and switch my desktop's text editor button to point to to Notepad++, and not Notepad. TIME TO MAKE THE SWITCH