Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Agent_Ash

Bad Guns 2 (requires Beautiful Doom)

First of all, those of you who dislike Beautiful Doom may stop reading this now, 'cause this new mod requires BD and does NOT work without it. Why? Well, because BD includes various stuff like fire effects, smoke, empty casings, some sounds, which I would've included in this wad anyway, but it'd simply make it 5 mb bigger. Why bother, I thought, when I had already made and uploaded this stuff in my other mod? That's why Bad Guns 2 requires BD.

This should look as follows (in the command line or bat-file, etc.):

gzdoom.exe dbeaut44.wad baguns2.wad
(in this order only)

http://ashigaru-rostov.narod.ru/mods/BadGuns2.7z

(it is and IDIRECT link)
(sorry about 7z, this site has 5 mb limit for files, and zip-archived it was larger)

This wad required the latest Beautiful Doom (older versions work too, but are highly not recommended) and one of the latest versions of GZDoom is recommended as well. It also WILL work with new version of Beautiful Doom (yes, it is coming...).

So, why make a fuss and create a topic here? Well, mostly to amuse my ego, I suppose, but whoever doesn't like it. Why didn't I make a topic about first Bad Guns? Because that one was simpler and less interesting, while Bad Guns 2, though changed not in many aspects, possesses drastically different game mechanics.

So, here goes: Bad Guns 2 represents a set of weapons which are purposefully overpowered in some ways, require reloading (which depowers them a lot too) and are mostly black. Some enemies are slightly modified as well. But, apart from weapons, there are three features, which must be mentioned:
1) BULLETSPREAD: normally in Doom every first bullet fired from a weapon has zero spread and therefore is absolutely accurate. That's the reason why we can use chaingun for sniping, etc. But in Bad Guns 2 you can NOT, because each and every bullet of every weapon has the proper bulletspread, so you won't be able to shoot Revenants with a Desert Eagle from a distance.
2) ZOOM: zoom, which was present in Beautiful Doom, works differently here. When pressing zoom key (default mouse3), you'll use your binoculars (with two-step zooming) and you won't be able to use or switch weapons when looking through binoculars. Although when using Hunting Rifle with zoom key you'll activate a sniper scope which, of course, will help you to aim and won't prevent you from shooting.
3) BERSERK: you can carry the drug up to 3 syringes with you and use them when you need to. It has screen usage animation and affects you for 66 seconds. You can't use it again, another injection will kill you! Among other effects (see below) it boosts your hands movement speed, which allows you to reload weapons greatly faster than usual. Also, it does NOT inrease your fist damage 10 times, only about 2 times. Anyway, fist can only be used when you're out of knives.

In addition the mod presents a new hud that replaces standard fullscreen hud. Nothing really special, just a hud. I like it. However, you should NOT use non-fullscreen huds with this mod, this will result it incorrect position of weapon screen sprites. You can turn on (G)ZDoom alternative hud in case you dislike the mod's new hud.

Now, the bad guns:

1. Combat Knife (knives) - you can hit enemies with a knife or throw knives at them (you can carry up to 9 knives with an ammo pack, every ammo pack contains 2 knives, 1 knife replaces each chainsaw, you have 2 knives from the very beginning). A silent weapon. Is affected by Berserk (see below).
1.1 Knuckleduster - gets selected only when you're out of knives. Usual Doom fist, but silent. However, it's affected by Berserk differently from usual Doom Fist (see below).
2.1 Handgun - normal handgun, average bulletspread, 15 ammo per clip.
2.2 Burst-fire Handgun - has extended clip of 21 ammo and is capable of performing 3-shot burst (alt.attack: switch fire modes). Replaces normal Handgun when taken.
2.3 Desert Eagle - a pistol with power of an average shotgun (or more), 12 ammo per clip. It is in a way more effective than a shotgun (faster firerate, firepower), although it's not an extreme supergun, like in some mods (Bad Guns 1, for example). Again, you can find enough ammo. Alt.atk: hit with the gun.
3.1 Striker - semi-automatic shotgun with average power and bulletspread, 12 ammo per clip. Alt.atk: hit with the gun.
3.2 Hunting Rifle (not present in Bad Guns 1) - an ultimately accurate gun capable of bursting through weak enemies (can bring down 5 Former Humans in a row). Uses scope, requires manual cocking (i.e. has slow firerate). 10 ammo per clip. Replaces SSG, ammo is spawned along with shells (in Doom 1-based wads you can find ammo for the rifle, but not the rifle itself, though it doesn't affect the gameplay). Alt.atk: hit with the gun.
4. Assault Rifle - a normal rapid-rifle assault rifle with average power and pretty high bulletspread, 32 ammo per clip. Surprise: alt.attack triggers attached grenade launcher (grenades impact on touching, no bouncing), uses mini-missiles (i.e. rockets) for ammo.
5. Quadruple Mini-missile Launcher - a four-barreled rocketlauncher which can fire one rocket after another, until empty, or fire all the loaded rockets at once (alt.attack). Mini-missiles are more powerful than Doom rockets, but the gun is very difficult to reload, so the general firerate is very slow. Quadruple blast kills an Arch-Vile, though.
6. Plasmagun - a rapid plasmagun (the plasmaballs deal more guaranteed but less possible damage than usual Doom plasmaballs).
7. Fusion Purifier - a horrible gun with three attack modes which can be switched by the alt.attack button (the gun is different from the one from Bad Guns 1): 1st attack launches 4 ripping projectils capable of bouncing from walls and floor 3 times before destroying; 2nd attack fires a set of railgun rays which stick to a target and keep being launched again and again until the target is dead (may switch to other target, deal few damage but with high frequency, not effective in large and/or open places); 3rd attack fires a seeking projectile which shoots at enemies with railgun rays until it explodes (the explosion deals a lot of damage as well and can't hurt the gun owner).

Now, the Berserk effects:

can be picked up (up to 3) and used at will (only 1 gets transferred between levels)
lasts for 66 seconds
heals up to 100 hp
1.5x moving speed
2x jump height
-30% damage taken
5 hp/sec regeneration
1.5x knife hit speed
2x knife throw speed
1.7x throwing knife damage
2.5x fist damage
2x fist hit speed
weapons reloading speed increased extremely
weapon recoil removed
screen animation of the drug injection

Note: another injection if Berserk WILL KILL YOU!

hehe, that berserk pack is pretty cash.

you earn a seal of awesomeness

i cant seem to get 100% on kills on maps for some reason, with this mod. i know ive killed all the monsters...

Tamashii said:

i cant seem to get 100% on kills on maps for some reason, with this mod. i know ive killed all the monsters...

Now that is something new... I wonder what could be the reason. Yeah, some of the projectiles are monsters, but they are also friendly, so they can't be counted... Interesting.

I would not mind at all if the wad file were 5 MB larger if it meant not having to clutter up my command line with prerequisites.

My thoughts on the wad will be posted shortly.

WildWeasel said:

I would not mind at all if the wad file were 5 MB larger if it meant not having to clutter up my command line with prerequisites.

Maybe not you, but many many others would. Including me, 'cause I would be unable to upload it to my site, and a large file is never good anyway.
Besides, I don't think it's difficult. I don't know, maybe it is. As for me, I've been using bat-files to launch wads for years, so 'gzdoom.exe -file dbeaut44.wad badguns2.wad' doesn't seem difficult to me... And yeah, I only work with files through Far manager. Am I that weird?

Alright...here's my list of qualms and comments...

1. "Complete Invisibility" drives the monsters nuts! TVR!.wad Map01, picking up complete invisibility and standing still for long enough for the effect to kick in, every monster that would have seen me stands there and plays their alert sound repeatedly. They're apparently so concerned with yelling at me that they can't do anything else.

2. No on-screen indicator for how much ammunition is in the current weapon's magazine.

3. Inconsistent selection of alternate fire modes. The Desert Eagle has a melee attack, but the burst fire pistol has a fire mode selection? This also doesn't tell me which fire mode I've just selected, meaning that if I want to know what mode the pistol is in, I have to fire off 1 or 3 shots to "test" it.

4. I don't tend to like mods that replace the default decorations, mostly because it ends up looking like this if a map or megawad has already repurposed them.

5. The scoped hunting rifle doesn't make a firing sound when you're zoomed in. Also, if you're using SVN versions of G/ZDoom, you might be interested in the A_ZoomFactor function, which means you won't need to use keyboard aliases or ACS scripts to handle zooming. Now I'm aware that this would mean losing your melee attack on the hunting rifle's altfire, but I don't see myself needing to bash something in the face if I'm using a sniper weapon.

6. Another sniper rifle gripe: showing the rechamber animation while still zoomed in kind of ruins the effect. I'd expect it to just play the sound while still keeping the scope on screen.

7. Now for the positive stuff. The rocket launcher is pretty well handled; the reload sequence appears to actually take into account which barrels have already been fired.

8. The BFG replacement is still pretty cool. Choose how you want to clear the room. =P

9. Berserk is massively useful, since it appears to affect the thrown knives as well(?). Being able to save it is also useful.

10. As tired as I am of seeing Scuba Steve's Desert Eagle everywhere, you've at least made it into a fun weapon that I don't mind whipping out when it comes to dealing with hordes of pinkies. Just one thing, though, why does it do more damage than the Shotgun?

WildWeasel said:
Alright...here's my list of qualms and comments...

1. "Complete Invisibility" drives the monsters nuts! TVR!.wad Map01, picking up complete invisibility and standing still for long enough for the effect to kick in, every monster that would have seen me stands there and plays their alert sound repeatedly. They're apparently so concerned with yelling at me that they can't do anything else.[b]

It is buggy. I know. Unfotunately. On the other hand, Complete Invisibility SHOULD do it: it should stop monster from chasing you. Yeah, they roar. Well, they panic, I think. It's a bug, but it's not that it works incorrectly.

2. No on-screen indicator for how much ammunition is in the current weapon's magazine.

I know. I never had plans to make such an indicator. And it is written in the txt. Partially it is done because in-magazine ammunition is Inventory class, not Ammo.

3. Inconsistent selection of alternate fire modes. The Desert Eagle has a melee attack, but the burst fire pistol has a fire mode selection? This also doesn't tell me which fire mode I've just selected, meaning that if I want to know what mode the pistol is in, I have to fire off 1 or 3 shots to "test" it.

I thought about removing SA-fire for burst-fire pistol at all, but then decided against it. I know it's strange that it doesn't have a melee attack, but let's suppose it's because the gun is not heavy enough. Yeah, sounds stupid, whatever. As for the absence of and indicator: so what? It's not a big problem. It's just a pistol. And you'll know which mode is selected, when you shoot someone.

4. I don't tend to like mods that replace the default decorations, mostly because it ends up looking like this if a map or megawad has already repurposed them.

If a wad has its own new decorations, then you should just put the mod BEFORE this wad in the command line, because ZDoom uses resources from the latest wad in the command line. However, that won't help with boom-wads that use dehacked-decorations or simply new sprites, but... well, whad did you expect? A mod is not supposed to be compatible with wads with their own changes.

5. The scoped hunting rifle doesn't make a firing sound when you're zoomed in. Also, if you're using SVN versions of G/ZDoom, you might be interested in the A_ZoomFactor function, which means you won't need to use keyboard aliases or ACS scripts to handle zooming. Now I'm aware that this would mean losing your melee attack on the hunting rifle's altfire, but I don't see myself needing to bash something in the face if I'm using a sniper weapon.

I'm not using SVN, not now, not ever. I'm sorry about attacksound in zoomed mode, it's the result of some last minute changes, I forgot about it. Will be fixed.

6. Another sniper rifle gripe: showing the rechamber animation while still zoomed in kind of ruins the effect. I'd expect it to just play the sound while still keeping the scope on screen.

No one reloads a sniper rifle while looking in the scope. I've always hated this in games when someone did. It's not a 'gripe', it's done on purpose.

9. Berserk is massively useful, since it appears to affect the thrown knives as well(?). Being able to save it is also useful.

It does and it's mentioned in the txt as well. It increases your strenth, thus you throw knives faster, thus they are more deadly.

10. As tired as I am of seeing Scuba Steve's Desert Eagle everywhere, you've at least made it into a fun weapon that I don't mind whipping out when it comes to dealing with hordes of pinkies. Just one thing, though, why does it do more damage than the Shotgun?

Never knew it was Steve's Desert Eagle. I thought about recolouring it to black, but... Well, it does averagely the same damage as shotgun, even less, though it has faster firerate and so on. Anyway, that's not much, and that seems pretty OK for 50AE rounds (you know what they are, don't you?). In Half-Life revolver is more powerful than the shotgun. I even made Desert Eagle much less powerful than in first Bad Guns.

Nobody uses their sniper rifle as a club, either. Think of how many times you'd have to re-zero your scope - even better, you should add scope zeroing to your mod =O Think of how realistic and irritating it would be!

I DO use sniper rifle as a club. If I go round the corner and meet a Zombieman, I don't waste ammo on him, I just him hit him. Well, yes, maybe this is a habit that I developed after Left 4 Dead, but whatever, WildWeasel also included melee attacks for his weapons, though I never used them.
And one doesn't have to zero one's scope to hit with the gun. You just have to stop looking in it... Anyway, I can't do anything about the scope. Non-SVN (G)ZDoom lacks functions controlling zoom, so I just have to use KEYCONF.

To make a long story short: I see no problem with Hunting Rifle. I'm not going to change anything.

I think he meant: If you actually clubbed something with a sniper rifle it would mess everything up.

Krispavera said:

I think he meant: If you actually clubbed something with a sniper rifle it would mess everything up.

Nice Roger Wilco's avatar, by the way. About the rifle: whatever. The mod's never been intended to be especially realistic. Check ww-diaz for realism.

You know, guys, I thought a little and decided that, yeah, it should be changed a little, after all. So now the scope doesn't disappear when you're cocking the rifle, but it still does, when it comes to reloading it. The file will be reuploaded in about 10 minutes.

Jekyll Grim Payne said:

OK, I have uploading problems, file is inaccessible right now...

That's a bugger. I was just going to give this a try as I have an hour to kill (a rare thing these days!) :)

Script error, "BadGuns2.wad:D_MONST" line 2:
Replaced type 'Zombieman1' not found in FunnyZombieman

hmm

Tamashii said:

Script error, "BadGuns2.wad:D_MONST" line 2:
Replaced type 'Zombieman1' not found in FunnyZombieman

hmm

How should I write BEAUTIFUL DOOM IS REQUIRED TO RUN THIS MOD in order for everyone to understand that?

What a lame way to start wads... Nothing personal, it's just that the idea of using windows mouse-clicking interface to do some work with files makes my skin crawl.

It won't work. You should assure that dbeaut44.wad comes BEFORE badguns2.wad. You need "gzdoom.exe -file dbeaut44.wad badguns2.wad". You need a command line. Write a bat or use ZDL, AFAIR this launcher can do it.

Personally, I put dbeaut44.wad in my skins folder and just drag and drop the badguns2.wad on my Skulltag or GZDooM exe. It may be 'lame' but it works...nothing personal but I've got a nice mouse and I like to use it! :P

PS: I look forward to the next Beautiful DooM. :)

Jekyll Grim Payne said:

What a lame way to start wads... Nothing personal, it's just that the idea of using windows mouse-clicking interface to do some work with files makes my skin crawl.

It won't work. You should assure that dbeaut44.wad comes BEFORE badguns2.wad. You need "gzdoom.exe -file dbeaut44.wad badguns2.wad". You need a command line. Write a bat or use ZDL, AFAIR this launcher can do it.

"Requires wad X" is not the same thing as "Requires you to load wad X FIRST and wad Y SECOND." Actually, it's your fault for making it more complicated than it needs to be and then being a retard when people are having problems with something that you should have made simple and easy to do.

I've just been playing through Plutonia 2 again (thanks review for the inspiration!) using the latest Skulltag dev build and the Bad Guns 2 wad. I got to map 2 and then I just couldn't switch weapons anymore. When I push next or previous weapon nothing happens...I don't know if it is a Skulltag issue or the Bad Guns wad but I thought I should share this just in case. :)

Jodwin said:

"Requires wad X" is not the same thing as "Requires you to load wad X FIRST and wad Y SECOND." Actually, it's your fault for making it more complicated than it needs to be and then being a retard when people are having problems with something that you should have made simple and easy to do.

Forgive me for thinking that people would guess. Seems like something obvious, though. And don't start this 'your fault' thing. People would be much more irritated if Bad Guns 2 contained whole Beautiful Doom in it. Although I will admit that I should've put an example command line in the first post just in case. Will do.

Tamashii said:

but...but...its really fast and easy :<

Um... maybe. I've never know drag-n-drop works with gzdoom anyway :) Anyway, I have my wads sorted in different directories according to their type, and with multi dirs and subdirs this would be a little difficult, so I use bat-files... On the other hand, I'm crazy about systematization of files, that's my quirk... Anyway, I don't know if it's possible to drag-n-drop files in a certain order...

You can drag and drop files in a particular order, just click the files in order.

I don't really understand what's wrong with drag and drop and what's so compatively good about the command line, though. I've tried both ; drag and drop takes me 2 or 3 seconds, while the command line requires me to type stuff, including parameters I might or might not remember, which means it can take anywhere between 5 and 30 seconds. There might be something I'm missing here, but drag and drop just seems much more convenient to me.

PFL said:

I've just been playing through Plutonia 2 again (thanks review for the inspiration!) using the latest Skulltag dev build and the Bad Guns 2 wad. I got to map 2 and then I just couldn't switch weapons anymore. When I push next or previous weapon nothing happens...I don't know if it is a Skulltag issue or the Bad Guns wad but I thought I should share this just in case. :)

Yeah, unfortunately, there is such a bug. It happens when you select Burst-fire Handgun or Combat knife. In Combat Knife's Select state a function checks for presence of knives in the inventory and, in case of absence, selects fist. Similarly, in Select state of Handgun there's a check on the presence of Burst-fire handgun. As the result next/previous weapon buttons don't work. I didn't really want to do it with the handgun, I wanted to put Handgun, Burst-fire Handgun and Desert Eagle on 2nd weapon slot and then make Handgun be removed when Burst-fire Handgun is picked up. Unfortunately, in this case GZDoom (and I don't know why) would crash the game if you pressed 2 with Burst-fire Handgun selected (even though the game should crash when trying to select weapon that is not present, e.g. with Shotgun and SSG on 3rd slot in Doom it works fine), which you may see in first Bad Guns. Thus I had to include some weird stuff. As the result you can change weapons only with slot buttons, in case you select knife or handgun...

Phml said:

You can drag and drop files in a particular order, just click the files in order.

I don't really understand what's wrong with drag and drop and what's so compatively good about the command line, though. I've tried both ; drag and drop takes me 2 or 3 seconds, while the command line requires me to type stuff, including parameters I might or might not remember, which means it can take anywhere between 5 and 30 seconds. There might be something I'm missing here, but drag and drop just seems much more convenient to me.

Like I said, I use bat-files. And I work through Far manager. Inside my GZdoom folder I have Megawads folder inside which I have folders with the names of megawads and the files in them. And tons of bats with cetain names, e.g. "MW - RTC-3057" (inside it looks like "gzdoom.exe -iwad doom2.wad -file megawads\RTC-3057\*.zip") or "Mod - Mechatron" (gzdoom.exe -file mods\gameplay\mechatron\mtron.wad) and so on. Am I a weirdo? No, I think I'm just used to DOS and Volkov Commander. So I use Far. Well, a little weird.