Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Kyka

Easiest way to combine Texture lumps.

I am using Slumped. (though will use XWE or something else if it turns out to be easier.

What is the easiest way to go through and check there are no overlapping texture names/Patch names that will mess up the textures or put the wrong texture in the wrong place, and combine texture lumps into one nice neat pack.

When I open the TEXTURE1 lump for any given wad, it gives a list of patches and a list of textures. Often it is telling me that a texture is missing a particular patch, even though the patch is clearly right there.

Also, Slumped is showing all textures in Black and white (even stock Doom2 textures) unless I open up the TEXTURE1 lump from the Doom2 wad itself.

Any thoughts?

Thanks people.

*MumbleMumbleF&#@kIamSuchaNoobAtThisMumbleMumble*

Kyka said:

Often it is telling me that a texture is missing a particular patch, even though the patch is clearly right there.

Have you added the patch to PNAMES? Doom won't recognize patches if they aren't listed in PNAMES.

I went back to the wad, deleted the texture.wad and re added it, making sure everything was in the right place, and that seems to have fixed that now. (Whatever I did differently, I am not sure, but it works now anyway.)

The PNAMES lump only seems to be allowing me to delete patches from the index, not add or modify them. I can export it and rename it with .txt, and get a big long list of patch names, but there is still no simple way of checking what patches are in there. They are not even in alphabetical order. And it doesn't tell me what patches go in what textures.

*sigh*

This all sounds pretty dumb probably.

There must be a simpler way of importing another texture pack and not overwrite any patch/texture that is already there, or at least tell me if two textures have the same name when I am importing so it doesn't screw up the texturing of the map...

Thanks aargh for the reply.

I use XWE for textures and it allows you to add stuff to PNAMES, so you might want to check that out. I don't know about the duplicate texture thing though.

Ah Huh!

Now this is useful. Coz I was going to ask how you combine 2 TEXTURE1 lumps and 2 PNAMES lumsp into one. So adding the entries from one into the other with XWE seems to be the way to do it.

I'll see if I can make even more of a big mess make that work

Thanks for the replies. Much appreciated.

Kyka said:

Also, Slumped is showing all textures in Black and white (even stock Doom2 textures) unless I open up the TEXTURE1 lump from the Doom2 wad itself.

Have you actually set up slumped's reference iwad correctly? There's not that many things to do in the option menu... Select Doom2.wad as the main iwad, then quit and rerun.

DeePsea allows you to merge two files with TEXTURE1 lumps and consolidates them into a single lump.

Yeah, thanks Gez. I have done this. It is almost the only option there is to do there. :)

Enjay said:

DeePsea allows you to merge two files with TEXTURE1 lumps and consolidates them into a single lump.

This is exactly what I need. Thanks Enjay.

Is there a way to combine patches as well or do i have to do that manually, checking all the patches individually and deleting any unnecessary ones?

Thanks everyone for the replies. I will get the hang of this. I have worked out mostly what I need to do.

After going through all the textures (both stock textures and new added textures) I found that one of the addon packs was missing several patches (which fortunately were present in the other one), as well as a number of texture names having the wrong combination of patches in them.

Last question for now.

How do I combine all the patches together? Do I have to go through both texture packs manually making a list and getting rid of any doubled up/incorrect/unused patches and then copy paste from one wad to the other?

Also how do I make 2 PNAME files into one?

Thanks. :)

[edit]And Deepsea is free as far as I am aware. Homepage here

Use TexC, it can do all of what you ask and do so automatically. The only thing you then have to do is import the patches and the resultant PNAMES and TEXTURE1/2 lumps into a PWAD (I personally use a Python script for this available here: http://deng.git.sourceforge.net/git/gitweb.cgi?p=deng;a=blob;f=doomsday/build/scripts/wadcompiler.py;h=b79d09314edeaf26c028271f884e9252a4f83969;hb=refs/heads/master).

Thanks Danij. I will do this. Man I have spent hours going through through the TEXTURE1 lumps of the two texture packs, deleting doubled ones and sorting through them all, and there is something that does it automatically??

Heh, np. It was good for me to do this manually, I learned a lot, and I came across a few errors that I was able to fix as well.

But I am gonna go have a look at this TexC. It sounds pretty neat.

Thanks for the links. :)