Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
aldiboronti

Monsters suddenly awake after loading 'safe' position

Here's the situation, and it's happened to me more than a few times. I find some quiet safe place to quicksave. After saving I move out and I suddenly realize there was a monster to my rear hiding behind a pillar or something. As soon as I come into his line of sight he wakes and starts ripping me a new one. Damn, dead. OK, I'll be more careful now I know he's there.

I load from my previous save but now the monster emerges (in fact he's out from behind the pillar as soon as I load)and kills me instantly. My previously safe saved position has suddenly become useless, each time I load I am killed straight away. Bitterly I go back to an earlier autosave, cursing the Doomgods as I do so.

Has anybody else experienced something similar?

I'm not all to familiar with saves because I rarely use that feature, but may I ask, were you using a particular sourceport?

Yeah, I was using GZDoom but I've had this happen running the originals with DOSBox, and also with ZDoom. You save the position and when you load the monster is alert (if it wasn't before) and a little closer. It doesn't happen a lot, it's usually when you're very very close to a monster's line of sight when you save.

Then again maybe it's alerted by the sound of me pressing the quicksave button. :)

I read about something similar happening to a guy running a Quake II port. Apparently the game was live a few tics before the player was and so he was getting ambushed in his safe place.