Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Phml

Bloodlust - one level for Doom 2, limit removing

@ArmouredBlood - was it on the first version or the updated version ?

I agree with plasma being much too abundant and corrected that, while adding slightly more shells and rockets. The vats in particular got all the cell charge packs replaced with normal cell charges.

As for the cacodemon spot, I wanted it more cramped than the following hell tunnels. Less space for punching, but less space for foes to shoot at you either. I kind of like it like that.

Edit : That said, I thought about it and checked it out, reducing the pillar size by 50% doesn't seem to hurt and would give more space while still keeping it cramped enough for what I want, so I'll do that.

Jodwin said:
It's not "suckery", it's just a different approach (which can be easily "corrected" with better item placement).

The suckers can play too, but they will run out of ammo for choosing the less intelligent approach. It ends up discouraging an overly conservative playing habit, on the side, by slapping its users on the wrist... and I sure wouldn't spell out what they have to do with nanny item placement :p

This is especially relevant considering the rather general principle of berserk destructiveness versus its healing properties, as per the hard difficulty setting where players are expected to be able to exploit it, that I described in my previous post.

No offense, but I don't see why prefering to use a shotgun over punching every monster around could be considered as being a sucker...

You can be a skilled player, and still don't like using your fist as a massive destruction weapon, especially in a game which offers you other weapons.

It's exactly as stating that "the rocket launcher is the most efficient and intelligent way of playing", and that "mappers who don't understand this suck".

Thing is that if you have berserk or a chainsaw even there are situations where it is rather very save to kill the monsters with those means, thus conserving ammo.
Even a huge horde or pinkies for example is harmless if they do not have multiple attack vectors on you.
Imps in general can also be very easily killed with berserk fists and this is very valid since you get no ammo from them. So in that account I think it is fine to make levels where you pretty much have to fist around a bit in higher difficulties.

I tried the beginning of the old version a bit and quite liked it. Challenging but fair (played on HMP). When I have a bit more time I will give the new version a go.

I still have the old version but the bigger problem (at the start at least since I havn't played beyond much) is that the stairs block hell knights and almost block reverents (stairs block fatter and fatter enemies the thinner or higher they are). You could just wait until the hell knights come out then run in and get the shells but the stairs block them from coming out, so you have to know the shells are there and grab them before you run out. Similarly hard to infight reverents and hell knights.

The best strategy for the beginning vile is probably to kill it before the lift even goes down which can sometimes be done with 100% life. And so close to the start you might as well just restart until you do it with 100% life, making that vile kinda pointless. If that wasn't intended you could probably put the vile or ssg down below. Then again I suppose you could single barrel it with 100% at least occasionally too, maybe even pistol but that'd be annoying. I'd normally just avoid the chainsaw and get the berserk instead so I don't have to cycle past a chainsaw.

Magma said:
You can be a skilled player, and still don't like using your fist as a massive destruction weapon, especially in a game which offers you other weapons.

Skill is various things in combination, from good aim and movement dexterity to more general tactics and weapon selection. Any player who doesn't adjust his weapon and item usage to what a level offers is relying on poor usage. The game offers various weapons to use but levels determine how much these can be used and how efficient they'll be. Any level with relatively tight ammo and a berserk pack is pretty much asking the player to make good use of the berserk pack offensively. The worst thing that can happen is that the player, initially concerned more about the possibility of low health than low ammo, may, due to his incorrect guess or hunch, die during the first or second attempts by running out of ammunition. But then he'll think, "oh, duh, I should use the berserk pack from earlier on for punching a good deal and I'll have much more ammo for when I really need it!"

I still have the old version but the bigger problem (at the start at least since I havn't played beyond much) is that the stairs block hell knights and almost block reverents (stairs block fatter and fatter enemies the thinner or higher they are). You could just wait until the hell knights come out then run in and get the shells but the stairs block them from coming out, so you have to know the shells are there and grab them before you run out. Similarly hard to infight reverents and hell knights.

That was the goal, stick them in that tiny spot so you can't simply lure them in the main room or run through them. In fact, it didn't even cross my mind you could infight revenants and hell knights there.

If you can't manage to kill enough hell knights to move around and grab enough ammo to kill the rest, you can hug the corners and wait for them to move in the left or right rooms, then rush to the ammo.

I acknowledge it might have been too tedious originally and I switched 1 of the shotgun shells for a box, now it's relatively easy to kill all hell knights but 2 or 3 before having to get more ammo in the following rooms.

As for the vile, I suppose you're right. I guess if someone really wants to start over and over so they have 100% health, they can, more power to them. That's really metagaming at this point though, I'd rather not care about that - it's just too complicated. I mean I see your point, but if I'd put the vile down you could also restart as well, or use saves, or... I don't really want to start making changes for that stuff.

My thought process went the other way - if an AV right at the start might be a bit hard/unfair, it's not too big of a deal because the player doesn't lose armor, weapons, and so on.