Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
vdgg

Murphy's law and Doom

I think so too. They never gave me too much trouble in Doom95 and PSX Doom. How much of this is faded memory (I havent played either for years) I dont know, but in the PSX Doom Zdoom TC, Revenants move slower and have slower projectiles. I dont remember them being THAT slow, so I'll probably put in my Final Doom PSX copy later on. Cant use Doom95 though, as my Win98 computer seems to have gone missing in our last move to a new house.

Ragnor said:

I think so too. They never gave me too much trouble in Doom95 and PSX Doom. How much of this is faded memory (I havent played either for years) I dont know, but in the PSX Doom Zdoom TC, Revenants move slower and have slower projectiles. I dont remember them being THAT slow, so I'll probably put in my Final Doom PSX copy later on. Cant use Doom95 though, as my Win98 computer seems to have gone missing in our last move to a new house.

I remember my Grandmothers 5 foot Claymore made in ye olden days went missing during a move... *cry*.

Ragnor said:
Cant use Doom95 though, as my Win98 computer seems to have gone missing in our last move to a new house.

You can make that comparison with Doom on DOSbox, Chocolate Doom or PrBoom (but with Doom compatibility enabled), as they will behave pretty much in the same way as Doom95.

You run up to a switch or door and press spacebar 27 times squarely at it. It doesn't activate.. oh I guess you were 0.01 pixels too far away that time.. again..

You die from a cyber due to slipping all over stair ice, not being able to dodge (all stairs in doom are covered with ice).

You run up to a tree, one of the most deadly enemies in the game, and go left, it blocks you. You go right, it blocks you. Its square-ass bounding box is infinitely tall AND infinitely wide.

Chaingun bombs.. that's what I call them, one of the enemies deadliest attacks. They leave shitty guns you don't want in your way and doomguy is like, OH AWESOME, I THINK I'll PUT THIS BFG AWAY AND SWITCH TO THAT SHITTIER GUN IMMEDIATELY!11 Also takes the form berzerks forcing fists-switch, or kinda similar having to cycle past a chainsaw to get to fists.

You get so annoyed at having to constantly reopen a door that closes every 5 seconds that you just rocket your face in a wall so you don't have to play anymore.

You go to do a wall run but do a friction run instead, which is when doomguy decides to drag his face along the wall the entire way losing speed instead of gaining it (its the only wall run I know how to do).

You go to press tab but accidently press capslock, turning on auto run. Trying to turn it off keeps capslock on, so to turn autorun AND capslock off, you have to press capslock as quick as possible like 17 times.

You run up to a vertex that isn't perfectly aligned to a 64x64 grid and it unleashes a trampoline attack on you, bouncing you in the opposite direction.

There's a cyber on a column you want to infight before enemies close in. He walks around and around and around. He forgets he's a cyberdemon and thinks he's a tree instead so never shoots you.

There's any sort of height difference around you like an enemy up in a raised cubby. The height somehow interferes with the whole game, preventing enemies from seeing you and making 1/8 of your shotgun pellets hit anything. (probably why the cyber above never shot you).

A vile blast you up, the cyber shoots you while you're in the air and can't dodge. (eaxt).

You punch a demon up close 10 times and don't hit it because of the bounding box (jodwin mentioned).

If there's a powerful enemy (cyber/mastermind) who is supposed to infight a horde, one of the enemies will trap the powerful enemy so it can't move or shoot, hitting it until it dies, so you're left with the rest of the horde.

Ragnor said:

Never understimate the homers :p

Ive seen one do a 90 degree angle around a sharp doorway, then, naturally, 80 damage.

I recently had a homer go into orbit around me then resume the chase when I moved out of it's orbit - can't recall that having happened before.

gggmork said:

loads of stuff i laughed to. in a sour, knowing way.

oh man. or, when you try to run past an enemy, you get stuck on the last pixel of his bounding box and your angle of movement _always_ slides you inwards. i can picture the baron or whoever catching the doomguy with his hands.

as a sort of (murphy's law)^2, you will always have rocket launcher equipped when this happens. as you watch yourself being vivisected, you WILL press fire. and guess what, you'll be the only one to die, so you don't get even the slightest satisfaction from revenge.

GreyGhost said:

I recently had a homer go into orbit around me then resume the chase when I moved out of it's orbit - can't recall that having happened before.

I love doing that. One time I got 4 or something in orbit around me.

In any case, revvies can be really nasty. They have, hands down, the single most damaging projectile after cyberdemon rockets. No other projectile can do as much damage with a single hit and without splash damage. Only cyberdemons and archviles can do as much damage in a single attack, but since revenants are considered "middle tier" and have far greater chances of hitting you than any other non-hitscanner enemy...

gggmork said:

You get so annoyed at having to constantly reopen a door that closes every 5 seconds that you just rocket your face in a wall so you don't have to play anymore.

lol'd

If there's a powerful enemy (cyber/mastermind) who is supposed to infight a horde, one of the enemies will trap the powerful enemy so it can't move or shoot, hitting it until it dies, so you're left with the rest of the horde.

This usually only happens to me after said big monster has killed my ass first. Then, while I am a corpse, I get to watch some imp scratch a cyberdemon to death. Scratch scratch scratch. Rip and Tear.

An enemy uses infighting as an excuse to aim directly at your face where you're going to go before you even get there. SORRY! WHAT, I WAS JUST INFIGHTING!

A cyber decides his infighting target will be an imp in some obsure corner of a different map and wad, so walks around not helping at all.

There's a cyber with a horde of reverents, barons and imps. The cyber spends all his time killing one imp. THANKS!

Not many know this, but mancubuseseses are actually smaller than atoms, allowing their projectiles to pass through walls between empty space at the micro level. Their fatness is just a trick illusion.

When you record a demo, of course the game cheats as much as possible like usual. When something particularly not-your-fault and unexplainably cheap happens, you vow to watch the failed run from multiple camera angles just to expose the game for cheating. But its no use because imps grab hold of the lmp and edit it with lies before you watch it. WHAT, THAT'S WHAT REALLY HAPPENED! SEE, IN THIS FRAME YOU CLEARLY GOT HIT BY A ROCKET THAT WAS HEADING WHERE YOU'RE GOING BEFORE YOU GET THERE AND PASSED THROUGH HORDES OF ENEMIES WITHOUT HITTING ANY OF THEM. Yeah right, I'm onto you.

When you want an enemy to shoot, they'll never shoot, but when its least convenient they'll shoot you IMMEDIATELY the first frame they see you.

A cyber shoots rockets in threes, but randomly decides to shoot just one of those three unexpectedly at you.

A vile blasts you from below, casting the spell from the one visible pixel on top of its head (hr 13). Often the real purpose of the blast was to raise your height so a second and third vile can in turn blast you.

gggmork said:

You die from a cyber due to slipping all over stair ice, not being able to dodge (all stairs in doom are covered with ice).

You go to do a wall run but do a friction run instead, which is when doomguy decides to drag his face along the wall the entire way losing speed instead of gaining it (its the only wall run I know how to do).

Someone needs to create a WAD where we can see this happening.

gggmork said:

Not many know this, but mancubuseseses are actually smaller than atoms, allowing their projectiles to pass through walls between empty space at the micro level. Their fatness is just a trick illusion.

Ugh, this happened to me on Monday. Death and ragequit.

gggmork said:

Now that's stair ice.

heheh.

Got a mapping one;
When you haven't saved for 15+ minutes, something will go so horribly wrong you have to exit the editor and start those 15+ minutes of work again.

^^^ just happened to me -.- DB2 gets this weird idea sometimes that you want to draw a sector on the OPPOSITE side of the lines, making a big mess. Unfortunately I didn't notice this happened because of how large the sector I was working in was, and lost the work in that sector and 2 other areas x.x

guess what I don't want to do ...

Any time you need to go particularly fast, such as a mad dash to a needed medkit, suddenly the game goes into hyper snag mode and you bump into every possible thing on the way there going as slow as possible.

EDIT: holy crap, writing one of the above inspired me to study the capslock thing more and figured out how it works. Every OTHER press of capslock toggles autorun, so now it should be easier to turn off (if I remember).

Yeah, for some reason in prboom-plus when you press it once it turns off, then you press it again and it's still off, then press it again and it's back on, then press it again and it's still on, etc. I don't get it. In zdoom you only have to press it once to turn on/off.

Maybe it's just me but usually the first time I go through an area I don't know and have never been through, I do better. If I die later on and have to go through it again I tend to do worse. I don't know if it's just because the first time through I was more careful and cautious cuz I've never been through it before and then the second time I get all cocky cuz I know what's gonna happen but I screw up because of the fact that I know what's gonna happen (not being cautious enough), then something unexpected happens and I die much sooner. Is it just me or does this happen to anyone else?

mkfanatic said:

Maybe it's just me but usually the first time I go through an area I don't know and have never been through, I do better. If I die later on and have to go through it again I tend to do worse. I don't know if it's just because the first time through I was more careful and cautious cuz I've never been through it before and then the second time I get all cocky cuz I know what's gonna happen but I screw up because of the fact that I know what's gonna happen (not being cautious enough), then something unexpected happens and I die much sooner. Is it just me or does this happen to anyone else?

You're not alone.

And is it me or are mancubi time wizards and know exactly where to shoot that 'stray' fireball?

Ninjalah said:

And is it me or are mancubi time wizards and know exactly where to shoot that 'stray' fireball?

They're coded to shoot at the optimum angle to f you up.

And thanks for the comment :)

Super Jamie said:

Manc dodging is easy. I got my practice by playing MAP07 about a thousand times :)

Dodge left, dodge right, dodge either. I learned to do it with only a keyboard back in the day.

Baby Bonnie Hood said:

Dodge left, dodge right, dod-

who the fuck sneaked a fucking wall in my fucking way?!

Krispavera said:

You don't need to dodge their rockets, just go through the middle.

Or send them into their pain state with a good point-blank blast of the SSG. Often, you'll have enough time to reload and shoot again before they regain their composure and try to start shooting back.

killing all monsters on UV on a level for the first time, but low on health, and you used all of the health in the level already. so you just walk to the exit, thinking you can just get some health in the next map.

open the door to the small exit room, and there is one imp in there you forgot about, and it is staring at you point-blank. while scrambling for something that isnt the rocket launcher, the imp simply fires one ball and kills you.

this happened quite a few time for me. once on DOOM II (i wasnt as good then and it WAS my first time "beating" entryway on UV) and DOOM 64 MAP02 (the terraformer. killed all monsters on watch me die, then got killed by the last imp in the exit room.)

Here's a common one, at least with me and my luck.

You come upon a horde of varied monsters who all vocally express their displeasure at your visit. Fortunately it's a huge room and there's plenty of space to run round them a few times and get them infighting.

You do just that then turn towards them to enjoy the spectacle only to see them all grimly advancing towards you behind a host of launched missiles with your name on!

You barely have time to groan before you're helping to paint the wall right behind you a violent shade of red.