Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
40oz

Projectile Speed Impact Damage

Does a projectile do more damage if you run "head-on" into it than if you make the attempt to dodge it and it only nicks the tip of your hitbox?

It seems more common in revenants that when a rocket is swinging around me and just barely scrapes me, and I was moving slowly in the direction the rocket was going, it doesn't deal as much damage. But if a revenant shoots one and i run full speed letting it hit me right on the nose, it will do it's maximum damage. Is this true?

I could be wrong, but I don't think the Doom engine cares where your hitbox is hit. Any hit is a direct hit as far as the engine is concerned.

The damage is always random, there's nothing in the code checking for angle of impacts or whatnot. However you may subconciously interpret "scrape" hits that do little damage as being a special case.

Sometimes the RNG can go bonkers, and you could get "abnormally" high damage: 22 HP from imps, 45 HP from a single shotgunner, 80 HP from revenants...

If a rocket "scrapes" you, it might do less damage because of your relation to its blast radius.

I seem to ALWAYS get that "abnormally high" damage from Imps, almost every fight where I get hit, I see the Ouch Face.

Imps have a sense of humor, and when they notice you have the ouch face enabled, they load their fireballs to inflict maximum (24) or near-maximum (21) damage just to see it.

I also had the low damage illusion, determined by watching original DEMO3 from Doom2 1.9 -- the one with "The Abandoned Mines" where the marine is left with 5% health, backs up from an imp fireball, and only gets 3.

Maes said:

The damage is always random, there's nothing in the code checking for angle of impacts or whatnot. However you may subconciously interpret "scrape" hits that do little damage as being a special case.

Are you sure there are no "scrape" hits? I have been hit just at the edge of my body while trying to dodge a Cyberdemon rocket, and it did 20 or so damage instead of raping the shit out of me.

Breadrobber said:

Are you sure there are no "scrape" hits? I have been hit just at the edge of my body while trying to dodge a Cyberdemon rocket, and it did 20 or so damage instead of raping the shit out of me.

WildWeasel said:

If a rocket "scrapes" you, it might do less damage because of your relation to its blast radius.