Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Abyssalstudios1

Google to launch OS

Actually, I'm interested in knowing how well this OS would work on older hardware; the Google Chrome browser handles surprisingly well on my aging laptop (600 MHz, 128 MB RAM, Win2K) - actually far better than Firefox or Opera on the same machine.

Snarboo said:

Isn't this just a Linux kernal with Google branding on top?

Even so, Google software is notorious for being simple and incredibly user friendly. They could be a good contender for Ubuntu.

I for one welcome our Google overlords.

The kernel and core utilities are the best part about GNU Linux. The GUIs and GUI applications have plenty of room for improvement.

I love the UI in Chrome. If they make an OS using similar design, I'll be happy to use it.

It's not that nobody cares, it's that there's really nothing to talk about beyond the idea.

It's not going to be Linux, it will just use the Linux kernel. Even Linux itself varies massively (in both functionality and stability) based on shell/DE, so no massive news there. Google have outright stated that it's not going to be Android (which I use daily and is a great OS) so what is it?

People are crapping on about how Google are "taking on Microsoft" and this OS will be the be-all-and-end-all of computing environments, whereas Google have stated their target right now is small devices like netbooks. Doesn't sound like something that's going to suddenly topple 20+ years of business-environment monopoly overnight.

What's left to do but sit and wait until mid-2010 for what Google produce? And considering the fucking glacial pace at which Chrome for Linux is being developed, I'm not holding my breath for previews.

Super Jamie said:

People are crapping on about how Google are "taking on Microsoft" and this OS will be the be-all-and-end-all of computing environments

Google is the new Apple.

Jodwin said:

Google is the new Apple.

And with all the current iTunesDB encryption, Software Patents and monopolized corporate bullying, Apple is the new Microsoft!

The way I read it - Google's Chrome OS will be little more than a bootloader for their browser. Not interested.

Isn't this just a Linux kernal with Google branding on top?

So they're going to take a "free" OS made by hippies, stick logos all over it and use huge marketing to pretend it's the best thing ever, and make billions?

Nobody's thought of that before!!

Heh, that's pretty neat, although it doesn't seem to be an official branch of Android.

Mobile phone providers are the only ones who distribute "approved" builds, comprising of certain required and stable components which earns them the right to use the trademark when advertising their product (like the "with Google" stamped on the back of my Vodafone HTC Magic).

Anyone can download the Android SDK and compile their own build, which is what this guy has done. Same core OS, different components. This guy doesn't include the Application Market or Google Chat in the LiveCD, for example. The Settings interface is obviously also expecting certain hardware and functionality that a phone handset provides but an x86 PC or VM doesn't, I guess he hasn't gotten around to removing that stuff.

There's also a couple of popular builds out there for people who've hacked root on their mobile phones, which are based on the provider builds (T-Mobile, Vodafone, etc) but add other functionality like multi-touch, running apps off the SD card and support for enterprise WPA.

I was honestly quite surprised when I first heard about this. Google did not seem like the OS type :P It might be cool to play around with, and as Nomad said, it is bound to be very easy to use but I will still stick with good ol' XP for the foreseeable future.

Google isn't exactly known for having intrusive ads...

Have Doubleclick's business practices gotten worse over the last two years that Google purchased them?

Might be cool to check out, but like grayghost said, it looks like a "frontend" platform for their browser.

It would be interesting to see all their fancy little google features implemented, like a live updating google earth desktop of your home?